Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fraging Zoas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
robbrouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbrouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fraging Zoas
    Posted: December 07 2014 at 2:32pm
Hay all, like most people that have zoas they over rub your tank pretty quick.  What the best way to remove them from live rock?  If i could save then to sell/trade/giveaway cool if not just get them moved. I've read a kalc past will kill them..

Robb.

Sorry if any words are misspelled or grammar been limited to one arm.

See my post in the introduce your self for more info.   
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 9:13pm
One way, if you want to save and sell or trade the polyps is to take the rock out of the tank and rip/scrape/chisel them off the rock. Be prepared that the rock might break into pieces either intentionally or unintentionally. A screwdriver or cold chisel is a handy tool. Smile (Caution: Zoanthid and Palythoa polyp fluids can be noxious so wear glasses, wipe off the fluid that might squirt on the face, wipe hands often, rinse hands in the tank/sink and don't spend too much time at this in one sitting.)

Another option is to take the rock to MarksReef and exchange it for other rock and coral. I've seen tons of LR over the years. I know how a particular piece might seem irreplaceable, but believe me, there are always other beautiful pieces of LR that we come to appreciate as much or more than the one we are dealing with right now.

As for other options, for me, killing good coral is just not acceptable, especially when there are so many local hobbyists wanting it.

There is really no substitute for forward planning. If you don't want a coral to take over LR don't put it there to begin with. This is especially true for Green Star Polyps, Briarium, Xenia and Blue/purple Snowflake polyps, to name a few. Smile

On the other hand, if you want several zoanthid/palythoa colors on a single rock, place them in a pattern where they butt up against each other and can only grow outward in a somewhat pre-planned direction.

Hope this helps.
Aloha  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 07 2014 at 9:23pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
robbrouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbrouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 8:10am
I would agree Mark. but one hand  fragging would be hard and its a main Rock in my system.  I agree better planning would of been best, but not much I can do at this point.  I might take you up on the trade when I figure out how the rocks are placed in there.  Sorry took so long to respond.  Been a pretty bad few days.  

Robb
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 8:22am
Please show us a close up pic and a pic of the entire tank and I'll see if I can recommend how to remove these button polyps one handed. BTW, one handed work is pretty much all I do when it's in the tank. Smile

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 1:30pm
Using a smaller exacto knife, you can almost always extract the mat zoanthids grow on, without removing any of the rock underneath. The mat can then be cut up and placed back down on smaller rocks or frag plugs for selling.

Scrape around the edges until you start pulling up an edge of the mat, then slowly work it away from the rock. Sometimes you can simply pull it off of the rock, other times you will have to use the knife to work it away from the rock. Taking the rock out of the tank first will make it much easier :)

I've picked entire colonies of zoanthids right off of the rocks, and been left with a perfectly intact rock time and time again using this method. More than happy to help if you're ever in the area or I'm down that way.

Edited by Pete Moss - December 15 2014 at 1:34pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic