Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

210 Mixed Reef Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 210 Mixed Reef Build
    Posted: July 08 2015 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Careful with the fish load.  Looks like a lot of big fish for such a new tank.

Adam
You are right Adam, it is a lot of fish and some big fish.  Careful feeding and keeping watch on the numbers is a must. I  have been able to maintain Phosphate at about .020 and nitrate at 2. The rest are good and I will be happy if I can maintain these numbers. I have been doing monthly 30% water changes too. I know I am on the edge. And may never be able to have SPS. If numbers go up I will go with sulfur reactor more than likely.

Glenn
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

That's looking very nice! You have a ton of stuff for just three months, its awesome.

That toadstool looks like the size of a basketball. 

Thanks, got the leather from Mark, my wife had to have it. I love my wife!
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 3:55pm
Careful with the fish load.  Looks like a lot of big fish for such a new tank.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 2:28pm
That's looking very nice! You have a ton of stuff for just three months, its awesome.

That toadstool looks like the size of a basketball. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 2:24pm
It has been awhile, here is a current FTS at 3 1/2 months.

Edited by relethg - July 08 2015 at 3:53pm
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 6:58am
Thumbs Up I agree with your lighting choice. Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 9:19am
Five weeks in and Hamilton lights are hung. I did not like the looks or the access to the top of the tank with the canopy. These are 250 W MH and 4 80 W T5s.

Edited by relethg - April 28 2015 at 9:27am
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 9:20am
Nice.
I'll bet you're having fun.
Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 8:18am
Nice
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 9:36pm
Looks great!
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 8:30pm
Almost three weeks and added some critters.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 6:35pm
7 Dec 14 to 17 Mar 15 from start to water. 

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 2:05pm
Bryce thanks for posting the pics. It helps keep things in perspective.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 2:03pm

Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

That pic doesn't really grasp the size of that green stag. It's pretty big!

I love rock and think the more rock the better and healthier the system. It seem like the more rock I can cram in a tank, the less algae/cyano problems I have. With that said, I would leave it down as well. It gives a nice, clear water column for some of the fish to swim around in up on top and looks more natural to me. I would stuff the sump with rubble rock though to get as much like rock in there as I could. I remember you just had sand in the sump on the 45. Are you going to put rubble rock down in the sump on the 210 or just leave it sand?

I agree, you can't have too much rock. There is rock in the 45's sump you just cant see it for the microalgae. I need (want) a bigger sump for that tank. I hope to get Dion to build be a stand this year (he doesn't know it yet). 

I plan to put rock in most of the available space in the 210's sump. The skimmer and return sections have a lot of space.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 1:54pm
That pic doesn't really grasp the size of that green stag. It's pretty big!

I love rock and think the more rock the better and healthier the system. It seem like the more rock I can cram in a tank, the less algae/cyano problems I have. With that said, I would leave it down as well. It gives a nice, clear water column for some of the fish to swim around in up on top and looks more natural to me. I would stuff the sump with rubble rock though to get as much like rock in there as I could. I remember you just had sand in the sump on the 45. Are you going to put rubble rock down in the sump on the 210 or just leave it sand?
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 10:52am
Corals actually do grow from 1" frags....just takes a few years, lol

65g Reef
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 10:18am

That is what we are both thinking. We see so many tanks with it all stacked against the glass to near the top. I sure wish my tank was 36 deep, then we would have so much more to play with front to back. But a 310 is not in my near future. As it is, the center rock structure will look like it is touching the glass once water gets added.

We can always add rocks.

Thanks for the comments!

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 10:09am
In my mind you are fine, no need to have rock any higher, I wish my rock was a lot lower, eventually your corals will start to grow out of the water like mine are 2.5 years later although I never thought that would be an issue, another risk, even with the height you are at now is the structures falling over and damaging the tank/glass. I have seem many a tank with the rock stacked all the way to the top, leaning against the back wall, some looked ok but it's not my preference. Its also more tricky to get proper flow behind those rocks and it can trap detritus and cause nitrate issues. I will see if I can post a pic of my tank with just the rock and a comparison pic 2.5 years later and you will see what I mean about running out of vertical room. If I could do it again my rock would have been 6-8 inches lower.
65g Reef
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 9:00am

Little worried I don't have enough rock higher in the water column.

Thoughts?

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 8:59am

Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife. Set up was awesome to see! I'm excited to see it when it's all up and and going.

It was nice meeting you and your wife. We are excited we are so close to getting water in it.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic