Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

29 Gallon Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 29 Gallon Reef
    Posted: December 10 2014 at 8:23am
Hey everyone,

Im starting a 29 gallon reef tank that i purchased a month or two ago off of the forum. Right now I'm getting my cycle going. I have 30 lbs of dry rock from reefcleaners.org and 20lbs of fiji pink sand.

I currently have as far as equipment goes, a HOB refugium with a Hydor slim skim, and have a metal halide/t5 combo light. I think i might upgrade the lighting to LED in the near future.

As i mentioned, rock and sand are in, and Aceofspades was nice enough to help me with water, a small live rock and some live sand to get everything started.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 8:25am
I woke up this morning to the front pane of glass on my tank bowing about 1/4". i quickly drained the tank about 1/3 of the way to relieve some pressure but still keep everything covered. Hopefully the tank can make it till after christmas. Petco is having their $1/gallon sale. That way I can pick up a brand new 29.
speyside712 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 4:42pm
I've got a 26 for sale pretty cheap if you want a replacement.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=32700821&cat=371

How was it bowing?  As in the front pane of glass was coming detached from the other 3?  Petco's tanks are usually pretty cheaply made.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 6:44pm
I saw that today. I've had great luck with petco tanks. I bought this one used and didn't know anything about it prior. It could be fine and never break, but I don't really want to chance it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 9:46am
Update: I got my new tank, and set it up. Tank is holding water like a champ, only to realize my HOB Refugium has sprung a leak. Siliconed all the joints last night to remedy that (hopefully). Im starting to think I'm cursed.

RODI unit has been purchased from BRS thanks to aceofspades help. And I should be set to go soon. My cycle is close to ending. I think.

Tank levels/cycle: I've got 8.0ph, and 0ppm for ammonia and nitrites, and 20-25ppm nitrates. My question is, I've never gotten any diatoms. A lot of people online say if you haven't had diatoms, your cycle isn't over. so I guess in playing the waiting game.
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 10:51am
Sounds great! Can't wait to see pics.
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 12:12pm
Patience my young grass hopper. ;)
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 3:53pm
i know, im sure you know what it feels like to just want to get going. i know i have to be patient and that patience is the best tool for a successful reef. Its just sad how excited i am just to get a clean up crew.. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 8:27am
here is a picture from last night.

30 lbs of dry rock
20 lbs of "live" sand
RODI water

Edited by sleepingdeep - January 28 2015 at 8:31am
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 10:20am
When you're ready to get your cleanup crew let me know if you're interested in carpooling down to any of the local fish stores.  I need to boost mine too.  Although you probably don't need much of one until you have other life in the tank.

Edited by aceofspadeskb - January 28 2015 at 10:21am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 10:34am
Originally posted by aceofspadeskb aceofspadeskb wrote:

When you're ready to get your cleanup crew let me know if you're interested in carpooling down to any of the local fish stores.  I need to boost mine too.  Although you probably don't need much of one until you have other life in the tank.

i'll probably take you up on that, at least to get some hermits. Reefcleaners, sells a 29 gallon CUC for 29.50 with free shipping. its all snails though. Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 10:40am
A lot of people really like reefcleaners.  I've had 2 bad experiences with them.  Basically both times I ordered from them half of the order was DOA. 

Saltwater Paradise is my favorite place to get a CUC.  David at Reef Kingdom has always given me an awesome deal on Astreas and blue leg hermits, but that's all he sells and it's hit or miss when he has them.  Both places are near Weber St.
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 10:54am
I've ordered from John (reefcleaners) dozens of times with very few issues. I did have an entire pack of snails arive DoA but im fairly sure it was the shippers fault as the package was badly damaged. I emailed john and he sent me a replacement free of cost.
If your going local then i agree that saltwater paradise as the best deal for a CuC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 11:11am
yeah, John at reefcleaners is awesome. he answered questions about my rock, and made sure i was entirely happy with what i got. He even put in specific types of pieces that i had asked for. Great guy running an awesome business.

Edited by sleepingdeep - January 28 2015 at 11:13am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 11:24am
Apparently I just have terrible luck...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 11:29am
i hope you emailed john to let him know. i mean, usually he sends a bazillion snails anyway to account for some DOA.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 6:43am
RODI came today, so excited to no longer have to buy water. Thanks aceofspades for the hookup

Edited by sleepingdeep - January 30 2015 at 12:41pm
aporter360 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 11:10am
If you want a good clean up crew, head over to benepets, they sell snails and crabs at 50 cents, way cheaper than online and you will have a much better survival rate!
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
laroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 6:02pm
I also have this same set-up 29g with a 10g sump via PVC overflows ( never had a problem in 3 years starts and stops just like a regular overflow). As far as the slimskim I have found that if you take the air line hose and move it higher than the skimmer its pushes the bubbles up better and cleaning about once a month ( the entire skimmer but really just the bubble apparatus just on on top of the pump.)  If you woulld like pictures I can send you a text 385-226-1725 names Skyler. Otherwise happy reefing.
Always be leery of a fish farmer...wait or is it a pig farmer?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 8:32pm
Today was awesome, I was just sitting in front of the tank and admiring the rock work. All of a sudden I see something crawling around. Stomatella snails! I found a couple. So cool to finally see things coming together!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic