Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

29 Gallon Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 5:03pm
That IS cool!

sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 9:39pm
Last piece of the puzzle has been purchased. I got a light fixture off eBay. It's a 165w Dimmable full spectrum fixture. Everyone on reddit raves about them and the cost makes it a pretty easy choice. I plan on mostly growing mostly softies and LPS.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/190999433320
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 10:15am
Several people on here and other forums really like these lights.  I know a lot of people change the optics on them in order to keep SPS if you decide to go that route...perhaps someone else can chime in on that.  Great addition! Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 7:50am
the day has finally come. Lights are hung up, diatoms are here, and nothing is leaking (for the time being.) Need to get a CUC and then we're on our way to the fun stuff. I built a light hanging kit for my new light out of electrical conduit and painted it all black. Looks pretty good to me. kind of ghetto, but better than a lot of the other ones i saw. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 8:46am
Let me know if you're interested in carpooling down to a LFS to get your cleanup crew.  I need to restock mine as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 9:07am
Originally posted by aceofspadeskb aceofspadeskb wrote:

Let me know if you're interested in carpooling down to a LFS to get your cleanup crew.  I need to restock mine as well.

maybe next saturday we could go?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 10:01pm
CUC has been ordered. I got the all snail pack from reefcleaners.org, but will be headed to saltwater paradise on Saturday for a couple other snails and some hermits. So excited. Things are moving along great. I met up with Softplan and he hooked me up with a free cabbage coral. I Got it home on Sunday and acclimated it. All polyps are extended and it looks to be doing well. I've also found a couple pineapple sponges in the tank, and recently found some super small bugs on the glass. Not sure how big Copepods are.. So I don't know for sure if that's what they are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 8:25am
CUC arrived in good shape. Came with at least 30 dwarf ceriths, 12 nasarius, 11 florida ceriths, and 10-11 nerites. I visited Saltwater Paradise and purchased some hermits who immediately removed the hair algae that had accumulated. So things are going great. I also traded my old lights for a toadstool leather and an acan. Hopefully picking up a clown tonight, and a frogspawn possibly this weekend. So far so good!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 10:16am
Looking good so far Clap

And I think your DIY light fixture is pretty sweet - not ghetto at all!
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 1:10pm
Here are the corals that i have going in my tank right now. Thanks to everyone who's been so great to work trades to get this started. I'm loving it so far. I find myself just sitting down in front of the tank and watching for hours. I've even started getting my wife interested. She likes the toadstool. The toadstool was pretty upset that i fragged him off of the rock he came to me on (bubble algae), but hes started opening up again just yesterday. The acans i received as a trade are starting to make a comeback. They fluoresce orange under the blues, but are pretty drab under daylights.

Edited by sleepingdeep - February 26 2015 at 1:14pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 1:39pm
Good lookin' coral! Wink
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 7:24pm
Very pretty!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 8:01am
Here are some new additions thanks to a couple members. Frogspawn, GSP, Idaho Grape Monti, Red plate monti, Xenia, and my first fish, i believe its an ocellaris clown. everything is happy and open. I did have my first death though, a hermit fell victim to a bigger hermit wanting his shell. may he rest in piece.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 8:05am
i almost forgot, here is a full tank shot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 8:15am
If it were me, I might slide that GSP a little more away from the rest of your rock...Unless you REALLY like GSP that is.

Good lookin' tank! Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 8:17am
it looks a lot closer than it is from that angle. its about a 2"-3" gap. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 8:40am
Originally posted by sleepingdeep sleepingdeep wrote:

it looks a lot closer than it is from that angle. its about a 2"-3" gap. Wink

Thumbs Up

So excited for Spring break...that other fish store tour thread was awesome!

Edited by aceofspadeskb - March 02 2015 at 8:40am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by aceofspadeskb aceofspadeskb wrote:

So excited for Spring break...that other fish store tour thread was awesome!

This should be a lot of fun. i don't have a ton of stuff to buy, but it'll be great to see all the stores i've never been to.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 4:18pm
Things have been going great in the tank. no coral or fish losses, minimal to no algae breakouts. Corals are all growing great. My Sunny D's i got from Nick801 have sprouted 5 new polyps, and my montipora that i got from P.Kapp is spreading quickly. Everything is happy and healthy. 

Next I plan on purchasing a tail spot blenny in the near future to add a little more diversity to the tank fish-wise. I'd really like to keep more zoas as well. I never liked them when i started my tank, but they're my favorite coral now. Thanks to everyone along the way!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 12:12pm
tank update. it's been about 7 months since i've added a photo. Check out the progress. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic