Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bangaii Cardinal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bangaii Cardinal
    Posted: December 13 2014 at 7:18pm
I have a group of 18 adult Bangaii, one male had 12 babies, another other had 40 
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:35am
undefinedundefined
Week old
Shaun
American Fork
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 6:29am
Don't you mean a week since release? They were about a week in daddy's mouth, right?
It's great to see all those babies. Congratulations.

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 1:35pm
Yes, one week since release. The male held them for 21 days, I'm not sure at what point they actually hatch, guessing around day 10?. Of all the breeding projects I have been involved with Bangaii Cardinals have took more time, effort, and I have been unsuccessful until now. I'm talking YEARS!!!!
Thanks Mark.   
Shaun
American Fork
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 12:07am
Not sure what is going on with these, they went 2 weeks with no problems. Now something up.
2 died 12/23
5 died 12/24
1 died 12/25
1 died 12/26
They get feed NHBBS several times a day, and 50% water change Daily. 5 gallon tank with a sponge filter. 

Edited by sabeypets - December 26 2014 at 10:39pm
Shaun
American Fork
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 11:22am
Originally posted by sabeypets sabeypets wrote:

Not sure what is going on with these, they went 2 weeks with no problems. Now something up.
2 died 12/23
5 died 12/24
1 died 12/25
They get feed NHBBS several times a day, and 50% water change Daily. 5 gallon tank with a sponge filter. 

With 50% water change daily, is it absolutely necessary to use the sponge filter?  I'm asking because I'm wondering if there could be some bacteria collected on the filter that might be harmful to the tiny babies?

sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 10:38pm
No a sponge filter is not necessary at all with 50% daily water changes.  There could be some bacteria collected on the filter that might be harmful to the tiny babies but I'm not sure
Shaun
American Fork
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 4:09pm
Sabey- do you have your adults in their own tank? I have a breeding pair in my tank with the other fish but have a hell of a time trying to capture the male when he is about ready to release the babies. He has a habit of only releasing a few at a time and hides in the rocks to do it so I only get a few at a time if I am lucky. I also have an 8 gallon tank where I keep the babies once they are caught, but I don't know the best way to catch all the babies once they are released. Any suggestions?
RSM 250
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 6:55pm
I keep them in a 360gal reef, I just catch the male when he is ready to release them. If they are released into my reef tank they are gone (eaten) in a mater of minutes.   
Shaun
American Fork
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 10:58am
More babies!!! Another 60 plus babies last night.
Shaun
American Fork
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 11:30am
Congrats!
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

Congrats!
Thanks Molli

Had another 30 plus hatch yesterday! that makes close to 100 this week!!!!
Shaun
American Fork
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 10:27am
Originally posted by sabeypets sabeypets wrote:

Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

Congrats!
Thanks Molli

Had another 30 plus hatch yesterday! that makes close to 100 this week!!!!

you should keep them all.  These are increasingly RARE fish.

LOL
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 2:19pm
That's awesome Shaun.

For that many baby Bangaii, I would do a regular tank of at least 30 gals with good LS bed with tons of life, a pile of LR rubble, and tons of algae all over to provide good live bug spawn and live bug larvae for them to eat. If possible, plumb this separate tank as part of the system where the Bangaii parents are living. Two important advantages to this are, 1) the water is essentially the same as what they hatched in and 2) water changes are unnecessary, except as the larger system receives new water. 

Here is a Mike Savage pic (my TOTM) of a good environment for Bangaii.

For Cowan, there is an easy way to capture the babies. I believe it has been written here on the forum several times. It talks about waiting until tails are poking out of Dad's mouth or just before, sneaking up on the tank after dark, flipping the lights on and immediately netting Dad, who often releases the babies right into the net. This was the technique in the the pic below. One of the released babies is visible above/behind Dad's first dorsal fin.
Do a WMAS forum search and also, if you haven't seen it, read the excellent article about it in this SeaStar:  http://www.utahreefs.com/SeaStar/wmasSeaStar02Feb.pdf

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 19 2015 at 2:31pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 2:53pm
Shaun you keep doing your fish raising thing!

The hobby needs more tank raised fish, you're a total champ!

Will you let me know when your tank raised fish are available for sale? I plan on only stocking tank raised and would be more than willing to make the trip to American Fork.

Edited by Pete Moss - February 19 2015 at 2:55pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

The hobby needs more tank raised fish, you're a total champ!

Agreed.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 12:37am
I got another 13 tonight! I didn't see this male till tonight and I think he all ready released most of them. That makes over 100 just in the last week.
Shaun
American Fork
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

That's awesome Shaun.

For that many baby Bangaii, I would do a regular tank of at least 30 gals with good LS bed with tons of life, a pile of LR rubble, and tons of algae all over to provide good live bug spawn and live bug larvae for them to eat. If possible, plumb this separate tank as part of the system where the Bangaii parents are living. Two important advantages to this are, 1) the water is essentially the same as what they hatched in and 2) water changes are unnecessary, except as the larger system receives new water. 

Here is a Mike Savage pic (my TOTM) of a good environment for Bangaii.

For Cowan, there is an easy way to capture the babies. I believe it has been written here on the forum several times. It talks about waiting until tails are poking out of Dad's mouth or just before, sneaking up on the tank after dark, flipping the lights on and immediately netting Dad, who often releases the babies right into the net. This was the technique in the the pic below. One of the released babies is visible above/behind Dad's first dorsal fin.
Do a WMAS forum search and also, if you haven't seen it, read the excellent article about it in this SeaStar:  http://www.utahreefs.com/SeaStar/wmasSeaStar02Feb.pdf

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

undefined

Mark thanks for the info. I have them in 5 and 10 gallon bare bottom tanks, a little macro algae, and a sponge filter. No LR, no LS, not plumbed, and I wish I had more macro algae with lots of good bugs Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..
Shaun
American Fork
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 12:54am
Thanks Pete and Molli.
Shaun
American Fork
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 6:33am
Seriously, I want to buy some. Badly.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic