Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Build 70G

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Build 70G
    Posted: December 14 2014 at 11:59am
Hello

I wanted to get this thread started, although maybe prematurely, to see if I can get a little bit of help. I will use this thread to document my build and to see if I can get feedback here and there. 

I have recently received my Cadlights 70G tank, with I think, a 20ish gallon sump. 

Here is it is just as its arrived, super excited when I first saw the pallet.

I will not actually test for leaks until after the holidays since I will be gone, etc. but I believe it is all set up. The plumbing seems right, at least from images I have compared mine against. 

Here it is where I will keep it. I have read a number of threads saying to leave the tank about 6 inches from the wall, which I have done. I can see that its just barely enough room to get my hands behind it/reach for something I have dropped.

I have added a little rock for now, just to get an idea of how it will look. I have played around with rockscaping but dislike everything I do. I think I may need more rock, even to reach the minimalistic look I am after.

Here is my big question; as you can see, the sump is rather small in the refugium area. I was planning on adding a small layer of mud first, then a small layer of live sand, followed by a smallish rock and some cheato. Due to the small size, do you think it is overkill to add that much stuff? The amount of stuff would be small and fit, but I am just unsure if it would have any value since it will be so scaled down. The refugium area is directly to the left of the return pump. My guess is its about 5 inches wide, by 15 inches long, by about 5 inches tall.

Thanks again in advance for whoever assists.

Thanks!

Marcos

Edited by Marcoss - December 14 2014 at 12:02pm
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
willstang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willstang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 12:38pm
That's a sweet looking tank.
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:32am
I made my rock structures how I wanted and just added a few pieces of uncured live rock from florida after.  Gorilla glue worked great, has a nice shape that blends when cured, and is now almost completely covered in coralline algae. 

I like the rimless design!  very nice!  going to be an awesome tank. 

Don't forget to place rocks in before sand, and you can use egg-crate under them to help spread the load out if you have a small point holding all the weight.  This will help with them not shifting if something digs in the sand.

Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 2:20pm
It's unreal how much I like this setup. Keep us posted!
Studboyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studboyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 2:45pm
Marcos,
Looking good man. I have some extra Marco rock if you need more, let me know. I also started with all dry rock and it was months before everything was stable enough to add corals. I also have some Chaeto if you need some as well. You are going to love it when it's up and running.
Aaron
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by willstang willstang wrote:

That's a sweet looking tank.

Thanks! I am super stoked for it and think it will look good once its all set up.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Crazy Tarzan Crazy Tarzan wrote:

I made my rock structures how I wanted and just added a few pieces of uncured live rock from florida after.  Gorilla glue worked great, has a nice shape that blends when cured, and is now almost completely covered in coralline algae. 

I like the rimless design!  very nice!  going to be an awesome tank. 

Don't forget to place rocks in before sand, and you can use egg-crate under them to help spread the load out if you have a small point holding all the weight.  This will help with them not shifting if something digs in the sand.

Hey! Thanks for the advice on the glue and sand/egg-create idea! Does the glue not have any negative effects on the the fish/corals?

I was wondering why people use egg-crate; makes sense on distributing the weight without having too lay too much sand down. Does the egg-create hold a lot of bad bacteria though or does the sand block it from getting down that far?

Thanks!

Marcos

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by 80cent 80cent wrote:

It's unreal how much I like this setup. Keep us posted!

Thank you! I appreciate the support and am excited to get some time to keep you updated!

Marcos

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Studboyt Studboyt wrote:

Marcos,
Looking good man. I have some extra Marco rock if you need more, let me know. I also started with all dry rock and it was months before everything was stable enough to add corals. I also have some Chaeto if you need some as well. You are going to love it when it's up and running.
Aaron

Hey Aaron,

Thanks again for the message. I had to Google Marco Rock and I like it- looks a lot like the BRS stuff I have. Is it all cured or still just dry and not in a tank? If its got coraline on it, I am down to buy some and some Cheato. I just won't be back around until the end of the month though...

I'm hoping I can get my tank half as nice as yours.

Thanks man!

Marcos

kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:39am
good looking tank
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 7:19am
 kellerexpress,

Thanks!
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 6:24pm
awesome tank! excited to see your progress!

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 9:04pm
ksmart,

I'm excited too! I am a couple of weeks out from having water.

Thanks!
Marcos
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 9:14pm
Hello!

Although I do not have much new to report, I did come home to something awesome my wife did. It was recently my birthday and my wife wanted to get me a fish...But, as you've read, I don't have any water/way of sustaining life. So, she made me some paper mache fish and some even made some from $$$. Anyway, I thought it was awesome looking!

So, I am a couple of weeks out from adding some rock/salt water. Today, I ordered some more stuff from BRS:

Some salt
Heaters
RO/DI system
Pumps
More sand
Refractometer, etc.

I am just tying up some loose ends on the last items I need and should be ready to add water in a couple of weeks. I'm super stoked and look forward to getting some feedback on my aquascape!

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Marcos

Edited by Marcoss - December 30 2014 at 9:15pm
Studboyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studboyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 9:57pm
This is gonna be sweet man, can't wait to see it come along
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 1:16pm
You have no idea how excited I am. Its taking so long. I could have done things faster but want to take the easy route, long term. 

I get a few shipments today, and unless things are damaged, I will have water/rock/sand in it this weekend.

Studboyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studboyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 5:46pm
Awesome man. What are you using for water movement?
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 6:34pm
When it rains it pours. So, I've been pretty damn anxious and excited to get my RODI system. It came today so I rushed home to set it up. I plug the damn thing in and it turns out the pressure in my house is too low. I even checked with a house just to make sure my kitchen sink was not throttled down. So, now I have to purchase a booster to increase the PSI that runs into the RODI.

Since I'm pissed off at this system I'm putting it on the back burner for now.

Tomorrow I'm going to truck water back and forth from Orem to Saratoga Springs. I guess it's nothing major its just a let down. Anyway- sorry to rant. I plan on using either an MP40 and an MP10 or one of the Gyre systems. I'm leaning towards the Gyre as it's less than an MP40 and I could always use the MP10 on something new and smaller.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 6:36pm
If I were you I would use phosphate remover from the moment you add water to your tank.  I love marco rock, but my experience with it in my last tank as that it releases phosphates for MONTHS.
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 6:36pm
Nice, looks clean
90 gallon mixed reef
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic