Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First time cycling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 12:22pm
I have ammonia bottle from dr tim, I would add some drops (would have to look at what the drops per gallon recipe is) test ammonia to get a baseline then wait a day and test ammonia and nitrite, repeat testing ammonia and nitrite until I saw a huge spike in nitrite and a drop in ammonia, then I once I saw the spike in nitrite I would start testing nitrite and nitrate until I saw a drop in the nitrites and a spike in the nitrates, then I would add more ammonia until the tank and clear the ammonia to and nitrites zero in 24 hours. Dr Tim has lots of info on this I have the ammonia dropper bottle if you want it (its not the kind you buy at grocery store). This is only one method, you can cycle with live rock, fish (cruel), dead shrimp (can be a mess), etc. Cycling probably has more info and threads than anything in this hobby (next to lighting).

dr tim method:

The Process:Day 1 dose ammonia to 3 ppm ammonia-nitrogen [NH3-N] max. If using DrTim Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying bacteria add it now (turn skimmer, UV and ozone off and remove filter socks for 48 hours).Day 2 do nothing.Days 3, 5, 8, 11 (every 3 days) measure ammonia and nitrite. Do nothing on days 4, 6, 9 and 10.When ammonia and nitrite are both less than 0.5 ppm (NH3-N or NO2-N), add more ammonia to 3 ppm NH3-N.Now measure ammonia and nitrite every day.When ammonia and nitrite are both 0.2 ppm (NH3-N or NO2-N), add more ammonia to 3 ppm.Continue to measure every day when the water is able to process ammonia and nitrite to 0 ppm within 24 hours, youre done!Do a partial water change and add some fish. (NOTE he says fish, wait till nitrates drop way down to reef levels to add coral)

Edited by Bryce - December 22 2014 at 12:28pm
65g Reef
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 12:26pm
+1 Bryce
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 12:48pm
Test.  On a new setup, start testing 2-3  days after live rock put in.  Wait.  Wait some more.  Keep testing.  Eventually you'll read zero's on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. 

When algae starts to grow, when ammonia and nitrite are zeroed think about a clean up crew.  Lots of snails (mixed types) and some hermit crabs.

Ask lots of questions.  Put up pictures. 
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Aloha Marco,

You know what happens when we assume. Wink In PM I referred you to this thread because it helped explain my take on this whole matter, namely the trap that new hobbyists can sometimes fall into. I have the greatest respect for the LFS in this area and the other forums across the earth. They would never admit it but they are as good as they are partly because of the existence of this club and forum. The WMAS has been a positive influence. We have, for 20 years, pushed to disseminate knowledge about better ways of doing a reef aquarium. We are one of the best forums of this kind on earth. Smile

Yet, the fact remains that Nature has a way of surviving and sometimes even thriving despite the worst that humans do. Baccara sees his way as successful and that's great. Thumbs Up On the other hand, Crazy Tarzan has a better way. When I first met Nathan and saw his tank about 15 years ago, I could tell he had what I call a "wet thumb", that he had a natural inclination to understanding the biology and processes of the reef. I don't claim any of that skill, but I have set up more than 100 reef aquariums and with all due respect to you and all new hobbyists, I tell you it can be a much shorter process. There are a plethora of "good" ways to set up a reef aquarium, but there are only a few "better" ways and these don't take months of waiting. Notice the first tip in the list of Reefkeeping Tips written by a hobbyist that has been in this hobby even longer than me and for whom I have the greatest admiration. It's probably Bobs method that LakeCityReefs used so successfully. Eric is an awesome hobbyist.

I realize that it's strange to see someone being so passionate about something like this, which is so trivial in the grand scheme of things and perhaps it's even more odd to realize that this help is offered for free. But that's the way of this club. The WMAS has been, and is here to help hobbyists have a reefkeeping experience that is productive and enjoyable, if they choose to take advantage of it. 

Aloha and Mele Kalikemaka,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
I double-dog dare you to visit MarksReef and learn a thing or two. Feel free to sit and chat with me for hours with no obligation to spend any money. Big smile

Hey Mark,

My apologies in this delay. I have been out of country for a couple of weeks with limited internet access. I did want to get back to your message though.

My comment was never directed at the lack of your information. In fact, I have learned a lot from you and am applying a lot of it. My comment was meant to say that as a new hobbyist I am here to learn from you, LFS's, other hobbyist, and more. I was simply saying that I can learn from multiple sources and many tools are available to help us along the way, etc. I have read a lot of your posts and think I better understand how to read your messages. You are pationate about what you do and come across strong to new users. I am learning to read your messages the intended way. Tongue

So, thanks for your information.

Regards,
Marcos

P.S.
You do not have to dare me or even double-dog me to visit your farm. I am  open to learning and am freeing up some time to make my way up to you.

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic