Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First time cycling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
dougandtito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time cycling
    Posted: December 18 2014 at 4:42pm
Our new tank has been set up and half-full of water with a few chunks of live rock and some live sand since Sunday. We have the water heated to 80 F and a pump running to keep the water moving. Just wondering what we should expect as we let our tank cycle for the first time. Should we/will we see any visible signs of organic growth? How will we know when we're "ready" to move on to the next step—and what IS the next step?

Thanks!
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 5:09pm
There are lots of opinions on this! Here are a couple of ways that I did it. The first tank I set up, I used 100% cultured live rock with 100% new, washed sand. After two weeks, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates were 0 so I got a couple hermits and put them in. After two weeks, I added a zoa. Everything was happy so I went on from their without any problems. The next tank I set up I tired the same process because I figured it worked well the first time. But, I was over confident and added too much stuff too fast and had a huge Cyano outbreak that I fought and fought. The next tank, I used 90% vida Rock with a vida rock substrate and 10% live rock. I left it cycle for 2 months and then added 1 fish. I sat for another month and then I sloooowly added livestock. That by far has been my most successful start as I had no algae or bacteria blooms. The latest tank I did is bare bottom with 100% live rock and I again let it sit for two weeks before introducing something. And it's been good. I think for me the key is once ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are 0, it's ok to add livestock, but do it ridiculously slow! Too fast and there will be algae and bacteria problems you'll have to work through before it gets established.

Edited by Hogie - December 18 2014 at 5:10pm
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 5:21pm
You are the second person I've noticed in about a week who is only partially filling their tank to start the first cycle.  I'm wondering about the reason for this?  Also, 80 degrees is too warm.  Why are you only adding some of your rock now?  Depending upon how much rock you plan to add in the future, you will likely start another cycle.  I think its far better to add your sand, your rock, your water, turn on the pumps and lights and get it started!  You will likely first notice some brownish algae on your sand bed, at which time you can probably add some crabs/snails depending upon the size of your tank.
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

You are the second person I've noticed in about a week who is only partially filling their tank to start the first cycle.  I'm wondering about the reason for this?  Also, 80 degrees is too warm.  Why are you only adding some of your rock now?  Depending upon how much rock you plan to add in the future, you will likely start another cycle.  I think its far better to add your sand, your rock, your water, turn on the pumps and lights and get it started!  You will likely first notice some brownish algae on your sand bed, at which time you can probably add some crabs/snails depending upon the size of your tank.

+1

reefer86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefer86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 6:38pm
A tank is cycled once nitrifying bacteria have populated the tank. You want bacteria that will convert ammonia to nitrite and bacteria to convert nitrite to nitrate. You can tell that your tank is fully cycled once ammonia and nitrite levels drop and nitrate levels start rising. This will happen naturally once nitrogenous wastes start to accumulate in the tank. I've had great experiences speeding this process up by using either Dr Tim's one and only nitrifying bacteria or BioSpira from instant ocean. Those are some basics about the nitrogen cycle. There are a lot of additional ways that your new tank will break-in as time passes. I'd suggest taking a look at Mark Peterson's thread on reef keeping tips. I think that it will answer a lot of the questions you may have. You can find the thread by following this link:
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 7:54pm
That's a good question, @molli, and I should have clarified. We had planned to spend Sunday completely filling it, but preparing the stand, setting up the plumbing, etc. took longer than we had anticipated and we only had time for one trip to the fish store to pick up water. We had a couple of busy days so we just had our first chance to go back and get the rest of our water tonight. (We wanted to get the cycle started as soon as possible and the guys at the fish store told us half-filling for a few days would be fine.) Great advice on getting more live rock now—I hadn't thought about starting a new cycle when we add more in the future.

Right now, our 65-gallon main tank is almost completely full—the water goes just below the spill-over level—so tomorrow we'll go back and get the rest of the water to spill over and fill the overflow tank below. (Which brings up another question: Our overflow tank is 20 gallons, but I presume we don't want it completely full. How full should it be? It has three chambers, with a center refugium.)

And we turned the temp down today. My fiancé was a little gung-ho, thinking that a few extra degrees might kick-start quicker growth and cycling. I figured a few days at a warmer temp wouldn't do too much damage and that when we went back to the fish store we'd get some clarification on the temperature. We got that tonight and he was convinced to let me turn the heat down. :)

Edited by dougandtito - December 18 2014 at 7:55pm
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 8:08pm

One of the most important things you need to establish is how full your overflow tank below (we in the hobby call that tank a sump) can be to avoid floods.  Once your display tank is full, if you turn your pump off (assuming you had a power outage) water will continue to drain down to your sump until it is below the drain in your display tank.  You can play with this to create a line in your sump that you NEVER want to fill above.  Once you establish this line, mark the sump on the outside with tape, a sharpie marker, etc.

Also, does your water enter your display tank thru the plumbing via a flexible (usually black in color but sometimes white) piping that protrudes near the top inside your tank?  If so, keep the open end of that flexible tubing near the very top of your water.  The reason for this is because if you have a power outage, a siphon could start and water could actually start draining down that flexible tubing to your sump below.  That is another way to a possible flood.

I'm sure you will get a lot more advice here, but thought I'd give you some simple advice before you start adding water to your sump tomorrow.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 8:50am
Why are you doing things the way a LFS told you or something you read on some other forum made up of newbies that think they know it all? This seems to be a common trap that new hobbyists fall into these days. You may not realize it now, but the combined knowledge of this WMAS forum is vastly superior to the employees at the LFS and the loud-mouth newbies on other forums. I'm not putting down the Local Fish Stores, but when you realize that their goal is to sell stuff and that LFS employees generally have little experience in the hobby, you will come to know that we here can help you in a much better way. We have great respect for the LFS. They are great people. They have come a long way since the early days when we started this club, but many of us here have been at this a lot longer than they have.

The WMAS has led the hobby in new developments that follow biological science and create better ways to do things. If you give priority to the advice that comes from this forum, your experience in this hobby will be much more enjoyable. You will avoid the headaches and loss from mistakes and avoidable mishaps. We will be able to show you how things are done best. We are a very friendly group. We love to share so when you visit our homes, you will come away knowing more than from a visit to the LFS. Don't wait for the 2015 Reef Tour next Spring, arrange to visit a WMAS members home now. 

Aloha and Mele Kalikemaka(Merry Christmas)  Hug
MarksReef
750 E. Lakepoint Dr. #4V
please text/call ahead @ 808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 9:21am
Oh, trust me, we're putting the most stock in the things we read and hear here. We're just taking in all the info we can from as many sources as possible so we can learn as much as we can and get to the point where we're able to think through these kinds of things based on real knowledge and information, not just what someone trying to sell us some equipment told us. And this is the only forum we're paying any attention to, so I'm not sure who the loud-mouth newbies on other forums are that you're referring to. I really wouldn't say that we've gotten much advice/info from the LFS (a new acronym I just learned! :)) that conflicts significantly with anything we've heard here. A lot of it is probably just that we haven't been asking the right questions at the right points in the process. But now that we've gotten started, you'll all probably get sick of reading my questions here.

So. Next step is the refugium. Any recommendations of what should go in there or best practices for setting it up that we may not know about/have thought about?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 10:06am
Awesome. It looks like you are going about this in a very sensible way. Still, by the evidence of your questions, I would highly recommend visiting with a hobbyist from this forum at their home. For getting into this hobby with the minimum of hassle, I'm sure everyone here would agree that there is nothing better than looking at a hobbyists tank while asking questions and getting explanations from the owner. You will find many of your current questions answered immediately and many other questions answered before you have even thought of them.

Also, watch for the announcement of the 2015 WMAS Reef Tour, an excellent way to get a ton of ideas in a Saturday of tank visiting. Smile It's the "Parade of Homes" for reef aquariums.

Aloha  Hug

P.S.
This forum, started in June of 2002, was one of the very first reef hobbyist forums in the world. For many years we were receiving awards of excellence from MASNA(Marine Aquarium Societies of North America). Other forums have become larger in recent years, possibly because they were not associated with any one club. Because of a general move in society toward stopping "flaming" of posts/forum members and due to the overwhelming number of posts on those large forums, new hobbyist opinions often go unchallenged, thus perpetuating misinformation and reefkeeping myths.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 10:53am
Refugium? See the Reefkeeping Tips below for a tip about Refugiums.
A layer of Utah Oolitic LS is much more useful than too many LR pieces and above the sand is room for lots of Macroalgae, illumnated by a $10 light, a "Home Depot Special". (The best solution does not have to be expensive.)
Utah Oolitic Sand is an extraordinary Carbonate Buffer. It adds Ca, Mg and Alk to the water on demand.

Hug
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Why are you doing things the way a LFS told you or something you read on some other forum made up of newbies that think they know it all? This seems to be a common trap that new hobbyists fall into these days. You may not realize it now, but the combined knowledge of this WMAS forum is vastly superior to the employees at the LFS and the loud-mouth newbies on other forums. I'm not putting down the Local Fish Stores, but when you realize that their goal is to sell stuff and that LFS employees generally have little experience in the hobby, you will come to know that we here can help you in a much better way. We have great respect for the LFS. They are great people. They have come a long way since the early days when we started this club, but many of us here have been at this a lot longer than they have.

The WMAS has led the hobby in new developments that follow biological science and create better ways to do things. If you give priority to the advice that comes from this forum, your experience in this hobby will be much more enjoyable. You will avoid the headaches and loss from mistakes and avoidable mishaps. We will be able to show you how things are done best. We are a very friendly group. We love to share so when you visit our homes, you will come away knowing more than from a visit to the LFS. Don't wait for the 2015 Reef Tour next Spring, arrange to visit a WMAS members home now. 

Aloha and Mele Kalikemaka(Merry Christmas)  Hug
MarksReef
750 E. Lakepoint Dr. #4V
please text/call ahead @ 808-345-1049

Mark,

I assume a lot of this message was directed at me based on our PM. That said, I find your message a little offensive. Many new hobbiest, like myself, are on here for assistance from people like you. We do visit many LFS, like I am sure most do, and learn, etc. I am sure many LFS are motivated to sell, the cost of a business is very costly, etc. However, I am sure many of them, if not all, provide genuine and exellent advice. After all, it's in their best interest to ensure you have a succesfull system to keep adding to.

I find your message one sided and mostly saying your way is the right way, even though you say to listen to mosrly forum members. I have no doubt that you have a beautiful system and its highly successful but I wanted you to be aware of my stance as a beginner.

Those are my very wuick two cents.

Thanks for all your advice Mark; I do appreciate you helping but I do not necessarily appreciate your last post.

Marcos
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Baccara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baccara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 2:25pm
dougandtito,

I am glad that you are not single sourcing your information. I am sure you have found out by now, everyone has their own opinions and there are a lot of different ways to accomplish things.

The best advice I can give you on cycling a tank and everything else you do in this hobby is take your time! Nothing good ever comes fast and you will save your self a lot of time and money in the long run by just sitting back, researching your next move and enjoying the process.

I just recently moved to Utah and started a new reef and well let you know how I am approaching cycling my new tank.  I am not claiming it to be the best way, it is just how I am doing in. Hopefully there is something useful in this dialogue that can help you succeed in this wonderful hobby.

The first three months I did nothing but put some fish food in the tank a few times a week.  My main focus is creating a stable environment.  I set up my ato and controller to maintain temperature and salinity.
Next I set up my 2 part dosing to maintain a solid alkalinity and calcium level. There are also many ways to accomplish that. I hooked up my protein skimmer about 2 months in just to start breaking it in.

I am now about 4.5 months in and have only added a few fish and coral after quarantining them.  In my experience, your tank continues to cycle, with each successive cycle being slightly less drastic, for at least a year. 
You will notice algae blooms from time to time and other "undesirable" things will happen to your tank, but if you just wait it out and focus on maintaining a stable environment you will have success.

Setting up a refugium is one of many ways to tackle nutrient export and also yet another, highly debated topic.  I have a mangrove refugium in the works on my current system but I do not completely rely on it for nutrient export as it is more of an aesthetic tank for me.  I would encourage you to test for nitrate and phosphate in a few months and strive to keep them at a low stable value via filter socks, skimming, water changes, phosphate removal, macro algae, whatever works for you.

There are a lot of "cure all" additives out there designed to capture the attention and wallet of a new and impatient hobbyist. I would suggest just sticking to the basics and maintaining stability. Consistent water changes goes along way in my experience, especially when you are just starting out.

Everyone in the hobby has their own little environment they are caring for.  There are a ton of different variables and it can be overwhelming to absorb all of the information out there.  In time, you while learn what works for your reef!

Good luck and happy reefing!

Alex
210g Display in progress
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 2:36pm
+1 Alex well said
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 8:56pm
Doesn't live rock and existing bacteria/fauna prevent a full cycle? Last spring I bought a new tank and moved everything over in one day only experiencing a 2-3 day mini cycle. I locked the ammonia and nitrites up chemically for 2 days with no issues. Im sure many other hobbyists have performed moves like this.
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 8:55am
I've had several experiences setting up tanks. 

My very first one I had no idea this message board existed.  I just decided one day that I was going to do a saltwater tank.

The LFS at the time gave me some pointers.  Just basics, and just get this and that.  I later found there were many other things I would have preferred doing differently than what was mentioned by the LFS, and for a while this bugged me. 

But I look back now, and can see that the LFS was simply trying to do what I wanted--get me started.  It was up to me to figure out how I wanted to set the tank up.  The LFS did not give me bad advice, or tell me 'wrong' things, but in a 45 min browse and ask questions and buy stuff session during business hours they did a pretty good job with a total newbie.

That said, I would also recommend putting as much of your LR into the tank as possible.  Less cycles and issues later by doing so.

On my very first tank (29 gal), I set it up and let it sit with a 175W mogul MH and some PC actinics for about 2.5-3 months.  I had all kinds of cool stuff growing in that tank at that point.  Including a nudibranch that was only 1/8", and unbeknownst to me a mantis shrimp (he later took out a 2.5" pistol shrimp), anemones, bits of coral, algae, clams/oysters in the rock, sponges, and all kinds of random bits. 

Once I put a fish in, all the cool stuff started to disappear.

My current tank I built all my rock structure, stuck it in, filled the tank and started with a few corals that I had alive in a little tank, and then brought in some uncured live rock from Florida. 

Then I let it sit for a month or so without adding anything else. 

The less time LR and LS spend out of water, the less cycle you have.  BUT anytime you remove something from a tank into air, there will be die off.  The larger the items, the more die off. The longer the time exposed to air the more die off.  The more die off, the more dead/decaying matter and the longer the cycle.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 11:26am
Aloha Marco,

You know what happens when we assume. Wink In PM I referred you to this thread because it helped explain my take on this whole matter, namely the trap that new hobbyists can sometimes fall into. I have the greatest respect for the LFS in this area and the other forums across the earth. They would never admit it but they are as good as they are partly because of the existence of this club and forum. The WMAS has been a positive influence. We have, for 20 years, pushed to disseminate knowledge about better ways of doing a reef aquarium. We are one of the best forums of this kind on earth. Smile

Yet, the fact remains that Nature has a way of surviving and sometimes even thriving despite the worst that humans do. Baccara sees his way as successful and that's great. Thumbs Up On the other hand, Crazy Tarzan has a better way. When I first met Nathan and saw his tank about 15 years ago, I could tell he had what I call a "wet thumb", that he had a natural inclination to understanding the biology and processes of the reef. I don't claim any of that skill, but I have set up more than 100 reef aquariums and with all due respect to you and all new hobbyists, I tell you it can be a much shorter process. There are a plethora of "good" ways to set up a reef aquarium, but there are only a few "better" ways and these don't take months of waiting. Notice the first tip in the list of Reefkeeping Tips written by a hobbyist that has been in this hobby even longer than me and for whom I have the greatest admiration. It's probably Bobs method that LakeCityReefs used so successfully. Eric is an awesome hobbyist.

I realize that it's strange to see someone being so passionate about something like this, which is so trivial in the grand scheme of things and perhaps it's even more odd to realize that this help is offered for free. But that's the way of this club. The WMAS has been, and is here to help hobbyists have a reefkeeping experience that is productive and enjoyable, if they choose to take advantage of it. 

Aloha and Mele Kalikemaka,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
I double-dog dare you to visit MarksReef and learn a thing or two. Feel free to sit and chat with me for hours with no obligation to spend any money. Big smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 22 2014 at 11:36am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 11:40am
It's fascinating to see the passionate debate that this question has sparked, and I had no idea what I was unleashing. :) But in the end, I've seen a lot of people talking about their preferred methods and approaches and theories and philosophies, until my head is swimming, and I'd love it if everyone who has been part of this thread (and anyone else who wants to chime in) could give me one, simple response, a single sentence if possible, to this set of questions:

- How, in your opinion, does one "know" when one's tank has completed its cycle and is ready to start accepting its first livestock? Do you, personally, rely on water chemistry readings, visual cues, the lapsing of a certain amount of time?
 - And, in your approach, what does the end of that "cycle" mean--time to add a few simple starter creatures like hermit crabs, snails, maybe a sand-sifting goby? or time to start plopping some coral frags in? or the tank is ready for something more than that?

I'm asking this knowing that everyone will have his or her own unique opinion, and will likely disagree with the opinions of others being posted. But to get me started toward my own way of thinking and understanding this, I'd like to start by simply seeing everyone's personal opinions boiled down to a simple response to that simple set of questions, rather than become distracted by immediate back-and-forth disagreement about more complex and next-level topics. I'm hoping to lay the groundwork by starting with some clear, actionable things to look for, so please try to respond to my questions without disagreeing with others' responses, at least at this point. I love a good debate, and I'm happy to jump into those later on, but first, the basics, please. :)

Edited by dougandtito - December 22 2014 at 11:43am
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 12:04pm
Testing is the best way to know if a tank has "cycled" which means your tank has completed the nitrogen cycle aka take ammonia (from animal waste) turn that into nitrite, and then into nitrate, can you "see" that? No, but you can see visual cues that can let you know generally where you are at but why on earth would you just not test? Just because your tank has completed the cycle does not mean its ready, normally your going to have ski high nitrates after the cycle which you want to bring down with water changes, the establishment of denitrifying bacteria, plants that take up as an export routine (cheato, calurpa, etc). There is not one way to "cycle" a tank and no set time to do it, their are so many variables such as heat, flow, water volume, photo period, how much rock sand, type of rock and sand etc. Track and test your water.

Edited by Bryce - December 22 2014 at 12:05pm
65g Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 12:10pm
Thanks, Bryce. I'm the type of person who is very naturally prone to prefer full-on testing, so it was very likely I'd end up doing that anyway. At this point, though, I'm just trying to gauge what others do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic