Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Evaporation - What to expect?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dougandtito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evaporation - What to expect?
    Posted: December 20 2014 at 1:59pm
Me again. So last night we completed filling our 65-gallon display tank and the 20-gallon sump below. We didn't FILL the sump, just got it to a level where the water between the center refugium and the third chamber (where the return pump lives) is just above the dividing wall when the pump is not running. We then turned the pump on, waited a few minutes, and drew a "fill line" at the third-chamber water level, giving us an idea of what seemed like the ideal level to fill the sump when the pump is running. Today, just about 12 hours later, the water is a full inch below that fill line. Is it more likely that evaporation is to blame, or did we not wait long enough after we turned the pump on? (How long does it take for the running pump to lower the water to its running level?)

What I'm basically asking is: How much evaporation should we expect every day? We currently have no hood/covering on the top of our tank (we ordered our LED light fixture, which should be here on Monday, and that will partially cover the top, but we will probably never have it completely covered). Does having an open top significantly increase evaporation?

Do you all top off your water every day, and how much? And do you primarily top it off with RO water, salt water, half-and-half—what's your routine?

Edited by dougandtito - December 20 2014 at 2:00pm
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 2:13pm
RO water no salt as the water evaporates not the salt. I top off of about a gallon a day for my 120 Gallon with 40 gal fuge. Watch your temp when you start covering the top as it tends to keep the warmth in, which can raise your temp.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 2:14pm
Salt and minerals do not evaporate. Top off with plain water, preferably RO. I don't know how much is normal for your tank but my tank evaporates more in the Winter than the Summer. I doubt there is much if any difference in evaporation between and open top or covering with a canopy. Sometimes you see tanks with a glass top which would help a little but it cuts down on gas exchange and reduces the amount of light getting inside the tank due to the glass and the condensation that forms on it. My tanks are open top but I do use a net cover to help keep fish from jumping out.

Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 2:26pm
I have about 90 gallons of open top water and lose about 1.5 gallons a day to evaporation.  I use a very simple gravity fed  autotop off (ATO) using RO water to keep my water level consistent throughout the day.
Baccara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baccara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 6:06pm
I lose about 3 gallons per day in a ~300g system. 
I have been using a Tunze auto top off for about 3 years to maintain my salinity without any issues.
It is a pricey purchases up front but defiantly a worthwhile investment that stabilizes your system.
If manual top off is your only option, the more frequent the better, i.e. morning and evening, to prevent swings in salinity & temperature.
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 6:08pm
+1 ^^^
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:21am
I use a Tunze top-off too. Well worth the money IMHO.

keithro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 3:12pm
I have a similar size system and I go trough about a gallon per day through evaporation. Its going to vary based in room temp and humidity levels. It's best to top it off as often as possible to keep the salinity level consistent. As water evaporates off the salt stays in the tank which raises the salinity.

Edited by keithro - December 21 2014 at 3:13pm
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 5:42pm
I lose about 12-15 gallons a day in a 500 gallon system. My evaporation is high because I use fans to cool the water.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 7:19pm
I'd guess about 1 gallon per 100 gallon tank each day as an estimate.  

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 8:53pm
I lose a few pints of water a day, oh wait, that's just me.

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 7:31am
I have a 3', 65 gal, with a 29 gal sump in an enclosed cabinet.  70 gal total water volume (yep, I put all my rocks and such in and measured how much water it took to fill it all to running levels).

I have an open top. 

I loose from 1-1.25 gal/day depending on the variables mentioned above. 

I also set up an auto-top off, using a double float switch, an aqualifter pump, and a 10 gal tank in a cabinet next to my stand (which is where I also run my doser system from).

Edited by Crazy Tarzan - December 22 2014 at 7:33am
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 8:07am
I lose about 2-3 gallons per day on my 200g system. It has a canopy with lots of vents and fans. The sump is completely enclosed. I lose about a gallon a day on my 65g system, which is completwly open. I lose about half a gallon a day on my 25g open system.

I use a variety of ATO systems. One's a Kent, two are DIY, and then I have another brand. I like mine the best. Haven't used Tunze though.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic