Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First-timers having a go at it

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dougandtito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First-timers having a go at it
    Posted: December 20 2014 at 2:36pm
The description of this category says it's the place to "show off" your build, but my intention at this point is probably less show-offy and more do-you-see-anything-amiss oriented. :) It's our 65-gallon tank, just under two weeks into the start of its first cycle. Now, let's see if I can figure out how to add images to this thing...

This is about half the rock we'll ultimately have in here. Not much to see at this point, I know.

Oops--image is rotated, but you can sort of see the second and third chambers of our sump setup here. The bottom of the image is the refugium chamber, with a spongy filter dividing it from the third chamber, which is where the return pump lives. You can see that the Oolitic live sand we bought from the LFS is already seeping into the filter, and a little has skiffed the bottom of the third chamber as well. Did we pick sand of too fine a grain? Do we need to worry that the sand will get sucked up into the return pump and cause some mechanical or other issues? Or is a little seepage like this normal and probably done for now?

You can also see that, when we first put water in yesterday, we drew a fill line for when the pump is running, and about 12 hours later, we're already an inch below that line. From another thread, sounds like that's a normal level of evaporation. Should we be filling it fuller than this? My one concern is that evaporation at this level could lead to the return pump being partially above water if we're not super-vigilant about refilling it every day.

That's enough images for now. Thanks for indulging me. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 2:40pm
OK, two more images to show a more full picture of the second and third sump chambers.

Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 4:46pm
It looks really good. Keep in mind that your return chamber is the one that will go down with water evaporation. If that chamber is very small and the amount of evaporation in 25 hours will run the pump dry then I would say get an auto top off (ATO) as soon as you can. You can set up a simple gravity feed or spend some moolah on a good set up. Don't miss filling it up.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 10:56am
Got the rest of our LR on Sunday, and the LED fixture arrived yesterday. So here are a couple of updated photos.

jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 11:24am
Keep us updated on your progress!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 2:15pm
You asked about the sand in the sump most of us use ruble rock and crushed coral so the sand doesn't get through to the pump because it will destroy the pump very quickly if it is picking up sand.
As for your water shut off the tank and fill the sump then start it up and mark the water level this is where I would run it them it won't over flow in a power outage and you won't have to worry as much about the pump running out of water.

Edited by LaRue - December 23 2014 at 2:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic