Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I have no idea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have no idea
    Posted: December 31 2014 at 4:22pm
Can anyone tell me what this yellow foam-like stuff is?
RSM 250
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 4:37pm
It's a sponge.  Good stuff to have in your tank.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 8:41pm
Sponge growth indicates the tank is reaching a good level of maturity. Thumbs Up Sponge is an important part of biofiltration. It can also be white, black, blue, pink, orange and green.

Aloha Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 11:21am
I have a purple one growing on the bottom of one of my plating corals. 
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 6:11pm
Awesome! Thanks for your help, guys! I knew I would find an answer here
RSM 250
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 8:24pm
How can I promote sponge growth in my tank?
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 9:32am
LR from a mature tank usually has some Sponge which should grow well when it's placed in a new tank. Everyone is welcome to come get starts of Sponge from me. Also, I'm always seeking new Sponge to add to my system. I have about 6 different kinds/colors growing on LR rubble to share.

Aloha  Hug
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 9:33am

Originally posted by relethg relethg wrote:

How can I promote sponge growth in my tank?

No sure.  But never remove a sponge from the water for even one millisecond.  If you are moving to another tank put it in a container of water beneath the water before you remove it from the tank.  If the sponge is exposed to air it, will die.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:07am
Oh yeah, I forgot to add my 2 cents on Sponge growth. Sponge eat detritus, phytoplankton and silicates. They thrive when nutrient levels are a little on the high side, similar to the growing conditions of soft coral. Sponge sometimes grow faster in relatively new tanks because there are less other inverts to clear the water of those foods.
Molli makes a good point. Adding to that, I have found that smaller growths of sponge are not as sensitive to being out of water. It's the deep pores in larger Sponge colonies that prevents them refilling with water after they've been allowed to drain. The key is to do as Molli said or if that's not possible/practical, move the sponge rock as fast as you can.
Aloha  Hug
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Sponge growth indicates the tank is reaching a good level of maturity

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

sponge sometimes grow faster in relatively new tanks

So uhhhh which one is it?
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 10:40am
Both. Do you need me to explain it?
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 11:50am
Maybe it has less to do with the age of the tank, and more to do with the fact that sponge grows when it has been introduced to a tank with ample food and it's needs are met.

Edited by Pete Moss - January 07 2015 at 11:51am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 8:46am
I would assume it means the mature tank has a complete cycle that is allowing the sponge to grow at a certain rate.  your tank residents create waste and the sponge is there to help clean it up and keep the tank clean. Thus creating a balance.

In a newer tank,  your biological system isnt fully established so the sponges can thrive.  When the sponges are growing too fast, you clearly have an off balance tank and a missing link somewhere. 

I recently had a crash in my tank and the sponges are EVERYWHERE now.  The nutrients went sky high during this.

Before the crash, I had sponges but they were in areas of low light and weren't a problem.

So I would say Mark's statement is correct and so is yours.   There is typically more food for a sponge in a newer tank and as it ages there is still food but it is balanced so you have sponges but they are not taking over the tank.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic