Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank crash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
StartingInUtah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StartingInUtah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank crash
    Posted: January 01 2015 at 10:37am
I moved my tank last night and it crashed. I think I must have not got the sand clean enough from what I am being told. I thought everything was dead in it (fish and coral) but I found a clownfish swimming around a few minutes ago so I am transferring it to a 10 gallon tank with a piece of live rock so it has a hiding place. It has a heater, light and a filter that I will be only using for movement as well and will be putting my corals in to see if they will come back. Is there anything else I need to take into consideration while setting this small tank up? I want to restart my tank asap as well so do I need to empty it and wash the sand and clean it all out the cycle it again or is there a way to skip the cycling and just get the water testing well? Also can I add a second clown with this one when I am ready to do that or do I need to start over with them and get new ones if I want a pair? Thanks for your help. I'm starting to set up that small tank now.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 10:58am
If it were me I would drain it. Put your live rock in a tote or tub and keep it covered in water. Keep a cup of your current sand. Rinse your sand in a bucket to remove as much dirt and detritus as possible. Then put is all back in the tank. sprinkle the cup of sand over the top of the sand bed. Your tank will cycle again but it should be a short cycle of just a couple of days.

You can add another clown once you get the system back up and running again. You might have to try a couple of clowns before they pair up but it can be done later.

Hope you get it turned around quick. Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 11:44am
I rinse the sand in a 5 gal bucket until stirring it with your hand no longer makes the water 'dirty'. Then place live rock in, or at least your base structure, and then add the sand so that your rocks are not supported by the sand.

Fill with salt water, and let cycle.

Make sure you try and get a 'smaller' clown that's from a group to pair--your current clown may or may not have begun the process of becoming the dominant female by then, but it's just one less thing to worry about.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 9:26pm
I'll bet it's not as dead as you think. It's just stressed from the move. You followed the Reefkeeping Tips about moving a tank, right? I'd leave everything in the tank but make sure there is some Macroalgae to eat pollution, to keep the "cycle" from happening. This kind of situation can give hair algae just the kick it needs to start eating the extra pollution and grow out of control. Also be sure to add more snails and a few more hermits to help keep hair algae and other nuisance algae under control. 

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I'll bet it's not as dead as you think. It's just stressed from the move. You followed the Reefkeeping Tips about moving a tank, right? I'd leave everything in the tank but make sure there is some Macroalgae to eat pollution, to keep the "cycle" from happening. This kind of situation can give hair algae just the kick it needs to start eating the extra pollution and grow out of control. Also be sure to add more snails and a few more hermits to help keep hair algae and other nuisance algae under control. 

Aloha  Hug

+1. to add to it, the more you mess around with it now the worse off it will most likely be. I've moved tanks a total of 5 times this last year ( 3 different tanks) with zero loss. Besides running macroalgae you can run some filter floss to catch all the big particles out of the water column. (Just remember to pull it out after a few days so that it doesnt end up leaching nitrates back into your water). I always run new AC after moving a tank as well. Its up to you but I would not move everything out to another tank and wash the sand. It will just cause more stress.

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic