Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Copperband is broke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Copperband is broke
    Posted: January 01 2015 at 8:32pm
Seriously. It's broke.

I got it from Dave Anderson, so he's a fairly old Copper band.  Been in my system for 8 months and eats out of my hand.

Tonight I noticed his beak or whatever is broke.  It's all bent funny and his mouth is wide open. He swims around and tries to get the food and can't get any in his mouth.  A slow and sad death for him, I guess :(
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 8:07am
Ouch  Ouch
Sorry to read about that. It might heal. I have seen it happen.

Back around 1996 I bought a group of 10 Tomato Clownfish that had been bred and raised at Bonneville SeaBase out near Grantsville. After a while the dominant female fought with one of the males and almost ripped his lower jaw right off. It looked bad for months. As I was selling most of them, the injured guy was left behind, but his jaw was healing. Eventually, she chose him, over several others, to be her mate. The pic below shows him fully recovered and watching over their eggs. From a clutch of their eggs I was able to raise two offspring. I gave them to club members. Adam Blundell kept one of them for many years.

Aloha  Hug

These pics, of daddy and eggs above and 6 week old baby below, were taken with one of the early digital cameras. ( Smile Thanks Chuck)

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 02 2015 at 8:14am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 9:04am
He's pretty healthy and has some meat on him, so hopefully he will heal :/
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 9:08am
BTW, your tank is looking awesome and very healthy. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 8:48am
He may have a chance... This morning he was able to grab some mysis. Part of the food came out the side and top of his beak, but most of it got into his belly. Kind of crazy to watch, but at the moment, he's getting some calories in him.
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 9:22am
Any updates on your copperband? I can't wait to get my new tank established enough to have one of these again. One of my favorite fish that I've had so far
105 rimless

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 11:30am
Originally posted by 96slowbra 96slowbra wrote:

Any updates on your copperband? I can't wait to get my new tank established enough to have one of these again. One of my favorite fish that I've had so far

He broke his beak in 2 places.  On the top and on the side.  As he started to eat, the food would come out of both spots as he would try to swallow the food.  His beak is a little bent, but the side hole filled in. So now when he grabs some mysis, I see a little cloud of dust come out the top of his beak where it's still broken.  It's amazing how fast he recovered and hopefully he will heal completely.  Now I feel guilty that I pretty much kissed him good bye lol 

Edited by love2skiutah - January 07 2015 at 11:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic