Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hydroids?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dougandtito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydroids?
    Posted: January 06 2015 at 4:35pm
This morning, my fiance texted me a photo of some new apparent life that we have growing inside our tank on three of the four walls. Photo below. He did some quick Googling and tells me they appear to be hydroids. I've been at work and unable to do a ton of research, but I see via a quick search that hydroids are "predators related to jellyfish," and it seems some can be good and some can be bad. I'll do more research later, but I would love to hear what you all have to say. Do they appear to be hydroids? Are they anything to worry about?

(The tank is still going through its first cycle—about a month in, haven't yet detected an ammonia spike, ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0 and nitrate is at about 15-20 ppm. We had our first feather dusters appear out of our live rock a couple of weeks ago, and we've had one sighting of what we think might have been a fireworm, though it just peeked its head out briefly, a couple of weeks ago, and we haven't seen it since. Other than that, we have no [known] life in there. We have been feeding the tank fish food for the last week or two; last night, I removed the filter socks and let loose all the fish food that had been building up in there, in hopes that freed food will decay and spike ammonia more quickly.)

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 4:52pm
Those are Staurocladia oahuensis hydroids. They're very common in new setups - nothing to worry about in a normal reef tank. They'll come and go with the nutrient levels. Relax, and enjoy the life!
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 9:57pm
We're also seeing little copepods on the glass! Starting to seem like some real activity is actually happening in this tank! :)

If we were to add a deli shrimp to kick-start the ammonia spike, how long after adding it should we expect to see an increase in ammonia? To this point, we've still never had an ammonia reading above the very lowest levels, which I like to think means we already have a good healthy load of nitrifying bacteria. I want to plop the shrimp in there to watch ammonia spike and then see if it quickly returns to 0, so I have a good read on whether we really do have that bacterial colony nicely established. At which point we'd start to add some CUC despite having not yet seen a diatom outbreak. Am I on the right page?

Edited by dougandtito - January 06 2015 at 9:57pm
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 8:17am
I'd add the shrimp but I wouldn't add anything else until after you see diatoms come and go. 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 11:54am
"The shrimp" meaning deli shrimp or live shrimp to start the CUC?

Edited by dougandtito - January 07 2015 at 11:54am
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 11:59am
Staurocladia are really cool under a magnifying glass! I recommend grabbing one and checking them out!

Edited by Pete Moss - January 07 2015 at 12:00pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 12:16pm
Oh we have been! That's a great shot, though. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 12:16pm
Our magnifying glass also showed us that we apparently have some copepods sprouting up as well!
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 12:20pm
Super awesome stuff! Glad you're enjoying your new tank. The microscopic life is one of the most interesting parts of reefkeeping in my opinion. Get a microscope, you won't regret it :D
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 12:21pm
And today, yet more new, unidentified life. Any idea what these are?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 12:23pm
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 12:25pm
Looks like an Amphipoda to me!

Good critters to have around for sure! Your tank is buzzing now!
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 6:38pm
deli or brine or mysis. doesn't matter which.

Edited by hydro phoenix - January 08 2015 at 6:38pm
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic