Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Long Does Saltwater Last?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Long Does Saltwater Last?
    Posted: January 07 2015 at 8:00pm
Hello

So, besides the obvious evaporation, how long does salt water last? What I am trying to do is mix a months worth of salt in a drum and keep it to pull from. The salt manufacturer states that the water should not be mixed for more than two hours or else it'll break down elements before they reach the tank. It kind of makes sense but also not. Because the tank will keep mixing it with all of the flow in it and I don't see how the corals could eat the elements, such as calcium, fast enough.

I know fish stores mix the salt and keep it in massive containers, but does it have a certain half life to it? I could keep a heater in it but worry to keep it mixed as the manufacturer says not to.

Any ideas if it'll last a month? I don't see how it could go stale or evaporate on that short period as I'll be pulling from it weekly.

Thanks for your help!

Marcos
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 9:45pm
I mix up my brute and use it throughout the month, no issues for me. I run a pump 24/7 in the can. I use to keep my 1/2 hose coiled up in the water until I realized it was leeching po4 into the water so lesson learned after about 4 months of trying to fix it. I only run a heater the day before use and that's it.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 7:53am
You are right. It is common practice to have mixed salt water available on demand. 

Others may have differing opinions, but here are some of the lessons Ouch I've learned about mixed salt water:
- After it's mixed thoroughly in a container/barrel, occasional stirring is a good idea.
- 60+ degree salt water for normal water changes causes no problems. The difference in temperature sometimes causes a temporary reaction, but no harm. Think of the ocean where cool nutrient rich, up-welling currents feed the reef. Of course we know new salt water has nutrients that feed the reef. (Taking this a step further, that's why, in the case of an algae problem where N and P test zero because the algae already cleaned it up, water changes actually feed the problem.)
- Where possible, it's a good idea to use most or all of the salt water in the barrel before mixing up a new batch. Old salt water, especially if it has been in a sealed container for more than a couple months can have a bad effect on the animals, if it is not opened to the atmosphere and agitated for a few minutes before use.
- Any object left in the container of salt water, especially true for RO water, will contaminate that water to some degree. H2O is awesome. Practically everything dissolves in water, to variable degrees and at variable rates. Metal or metallic objects can be particularly harmful. Not all plastics are created equal. Manycontain soluble compounds and others may still have chemicals on their surface that helped them release from the mold in the manufacturing process. It's a good idea to clean plastic containers and objects with mild soap and a good rinse before aquarium use.
- When changing to a different brand of salt mix it's a good idea to change over slowly in 4 steps:
1st water change use 75% old with 25% new salt mix
2nd 50% old with 50% new
3rd 25% old with 75% new
4th 100% new salt mix

Hope this info is helpful.
Aloha  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 08 2015 at 8:43am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Reefer4Ever Reefer4Ever wrote:

I mix up my brute and use it throughout the month, no issues for me. I run a pump 24/7 in the can. I use to keep my 1/2 hose coiled up in the water until I realized it was leeching po4 into the water so lesson learned after about 4 months of trying to fix it. I only run a heater the day before use and that's it.

Hey Reefer,

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Thats good to know about not leaving anything in it that could leach, except for a heater. I have been mixing my salt in 5 gallon bucks and its been great. I add 2.5 cups, shake it by hand for about 1 minute and it is completely dissolved. At least to the human eye...

So far, my tank has had a consistent 1.024.

Thanks!

Marcos

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

You are right. It is common practice to have mixed salt water available on demand. 

Others may have differing opinions, but here are some of the lessons Ouch I've learned about mixed salt water:
- After it's mixed thoroughly in a container/barrel, occasional stirring is a good idea.
- 60+ degree salt water for normal water changes causes no problems. The difference in temperature sometimes causes a temporary reaction, but no harm. Think of the ocean where cool nutrient rich, up-welling currents feed the reef. Of course we know new salt water has nutrients that feed the reef. (Taking this a step further, that's why, in the case of an algae problem where N and P test zero because the algae already cleaned it up, water changes actually feed the problem.)
- Where possible, it's a good idea to use most or all of the salt water in the barrel before mixing up a new batch. Old salt water, especially if it has been in a sealed container for more than a couple months can have a bad effect on the animals, if it is not opened to the atmosphere and agitated for a few minutes before use.
- Any object left in the container of salt water, especially true for RO water, will contaminate that water to some degree. H2O is awesome. Practically everything dissolves in water, to variable degrees and at variable rates. Metal or metallic objects can be particularly harmful. Not all plastics are created equal. Manycontain soluble compounds and others may still have chemicals on their surface that helped them release from the mold in the manufacturing process. It's a good idea to clean plastic containers and objects with mild soap and a good rinse before aquarium use.
- When changing to a different brand of salt mix it's a good idea to change over slowly in 4 steps:
1st water change use 75% old with 25% new salt mix
2nd 50% old with 50% new
3rd 25% old with 75% new
4th 100% new salt mix

Hope this info is helpful.
Aloha  Hug

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the info. I will for sure agitate the water before I add it and possibly warm it to avoid any reactions, even if temporary.

That said, great info on the change of brands. I am just starting and was wondering how to transition. I know most LFS use a lot of the same mixes, but I want to use something they don't use. Thanks again!

Marcos

Aquatic Evolution View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquatic Evolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 1:23pm
6 months is way too long.  You will risk growing algae, bacteria, carbonate will decrease by reacting to atmospheric CO2.  Minerals like calcium and magnesium will precipitate etc.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 1:29pm
Thanks Shawn, I am sticking to the small batches since I can only store a large quantity too far from the tank.

Thanks!

Marcos

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic