Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what wrong with my fishes' eye?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what wrong with my fishes' eye?
    Posted: January 12 2015 at 2:12pm

Noticed his right eye has been kind of cloudy for a week, but today is cloudy, and enlarged! what is this? anything I can do to help him?

Edited by herrera - January 12 2015 at 2:14pm
125g Aggressive tank
SWC-Xtreme cone prtein skimmer
40g Sump
------------------------------
16g Innovative Marine Reef
AI led 75W
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 2:14pm
125g Aggressive tank
SWC-Xtreme cone prtein skimmer
40g Sump
------------------------------
16g Innovative Marine Reef
AI led 75W
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 2:20pm
Bubble eye. They sell medications for it I think that it is a type of bacterial infection.
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 2:31pm
thank you! does he need to be quarantined? or can I just add it to tank?
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 2:32pm
Imo quarantine is always best if you have the capabilities.
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 3:17pm
My majestic Angel had this same thing right after it was introduced. Cloudiness on one eye is usually caused from a kind of trauma/injury mine healed just fine on its own in about a week. I may be wrong though that's just what I've found from my research. Keep us posted if it spreads to both eyes.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 7:34pm
I've found that using the Garlic treatment like this http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71349  helps fish maintain their overall health while they kick the disease. I would try this for a week and see if it helps before trying to catch the fish and put it into quarantine.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 8:05am
Common injury on triggers. They like to wedge into tight spaces in the rocks, this in my opinion looks like he just scratched his eye on a rock. Should get better over time, if it doesn't start clearing up in a week or two I would consider quarantine with an anti-bacterial.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 8:45am
I have 2 anthias that just got this a week ago.... The eye got really big but with constant feeding it has started to go down and the fish is starting to become more active again. 

I would do what Pete said... keep an eye.... hehehe... no the eye .. . . and if its not getting better then you can try other things. 

J
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 10:14pm
thanks everyone! Just bought some garlic supplement today. hopefully he makes a recovery.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Jeremyw Jeremyw wrote:

I have 2 anthias that just got this a week ago.... The eye got really big but with constant feeding it has started to go down and the fish is starting to become more active again. 

I would do what Pete said... keep an eye.... hehehe... no the eye .. . . and if its not getting better then you can try other things. 

J

My anthias harem got the same thing when first introduced to my reef. They tried to fit into holes in the rocks they just couldn't fit in. The eye was so huge I had already counted my losses. Thing surprised me by making a full recovery in ten days.

125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 12:58am
Its a bacterial or fungal infection. Two things will happen, it will clear up and be normal... or it will get bigger and it will lose the eye. It may survive with only one eye but you'll need to make sure it gets fed well enough. Quarantining the fish and medicating it is the best option for the best results for the fish.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic