Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Branch Looking Stuff Growing | Please Help Identif
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Branch Looking Stuff Growing | Please Help Identif

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Branch Looking Stuff Growing | Please Help Identif
    Posted: January 13 2015 at 4:22pm
Hello

I don't think this is in the right area, but I could not find anything that matched in the Specialize Discussion boards as I do not know what this is.

So, I have a new tank that I added water to on Saturday Jan 10, just a few days ago. Today is only the fourth day that the tank has had water, but I have noticed that this branch-looking stuff is growing like a banshee.

I tried to take a photo on my phone as I do not have my camera at home, so the quality is not great. 

You can see it in the middle, towards the rear in this image:

You can see it right in the center in this image:

Is the branch stuff bad? I added water on Saturday, with about 50 lb. of live rock, about 80 lb. of live sand, and turned everything on. I have the SG at 1.024 and the temp has been around 76 F. I have kept the lights off, but do turn them on for about 1 hour a day when I just go and stare at it and clean it for no reason. 

That said, should the stuff be growing?

I have been testing my water each day, with a new kit, and the Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia has read at zero each day. I don't have life and have not added anything dead, but I still think it should read something, right? I have read that adding LR/LS may speed up the nitrogen cycle, but I have not seen anything happen.

The water is clear and has a couple of bubbles here and there as I cannot figure out how to adjust the skimmer. I read it may take a few days to break in, but its still not yet broken in.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 5:10pm
I'm on my phone so this is short...Google "branching hydroids reef". See if those are close. If so, they're no bueno.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 5:15pm
When you try to adjust your skimmer, you just want the bubbles to barely start going up the neck part just below the skimmer cup.  Then be patient and you will eventually see stuff collecting in the cup.  If you are getting a lot of clear to pale in color looking water, then turn it down a bit.  What you want to collect is the ugly dark stinky stuff.  Its also important for a lot of skimmers to have them in the right water depth.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I'm on my phone so this is short...Google "branching hydroids reef". See if those are close. If so, they're no bueno.

Thank you! I Google'd it and it does not really look like that in person, but it does kind of look like it.

It mostly looks like these two things:
Foraminiferan
Bryozoan

I've looked at about a dozen hitchhiker guides and cannot see anything that looks closer to it. 

Thanks, I will keep searching!

Thanks!

Marcos

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

When you try to adjust your skimmer, you just want the bubbles to barely start going up the neck part just below the skimmer cup.  Then be patient and you will eventually see stuff collecting in the cup.  If you are getting a lot of clear to pale in color looking water, then turn it down a bit.  What you want to collect is the ugly dark stinky stuff.  Its also important for a lot of skimmers to have them in the right water depth.

Hi Molli

Thanks for the info! I did exactly what you did and hope it starts to suck up some crap.

Will it have anything to skim if there is not fish?

Marcos

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 4:40pm
Hi,

I wanted to circle back to this. Anyone know what that branch looking stuff is?

I looked up hydroids and saw a ton of them, and although they look kind of like that, I do not believe it is.

Thanks.

Marcos

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 5:34pm
Hello again,

I have pulled a piece out of the tank so its easier to see. 

Can someone piece assist?

Thanks!

Marcos
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 8:00am
It's a red or brown Macroalgae. Congratulations. That's really cool. Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 8:58am
Is it graciliaria? Try goolging that and see if that's it.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 6:41pm
Hi Mark/Hogie,

I think both of you are right! At least I hope so. Both info fits the bill.

I'll be adding a tang soon and hope he goes AS for it. If he does, its likely the right algae.

Thanks again!

Marcos

Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 9:58pm
Is it brittle to the touch?
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

Is it brittle to the touch?

Hello,

I think I've been calling you Pete but whats your real name? I saw light thing, awesome by the way, call you something else...Sorry.

Its kind of soft to the touch. I was able to pull that piece out and it did not break. If you hold a tip, it kind of goes limp. At least, when its wet. When it tried out it felt like a dry leaf and when it was wet it felt like a wet leaf.

Marcos

Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 10:00am
If it isn't brittle, my vote is with it being a brown macroalgae :) I think this mystery is solved.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 6:47pm
Yes! Thats great news!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic