Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ballast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ballast
    Posted: January 19 2015 at 11:07am
anyone know how to fix a 175w halide ballast.. not sure what happened to it but it was smoking and the lights were dim and flickering. this happened about a month ago and i replaced with t5s but i really miss the shimmer from the halides. i can pay you for your time.
getting fishy??
millsu2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millsu2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 12:11pm
If it is electronic then there is probably nothing you can do. 

If it is a magnetic ballast the capacitor may have gone bad. If the top of the capacitor is bulging or cracked then it is definitely bad. If you have a multimeter that can test capacitors, you can completely remove the capacitor from the circuit and check it to see if it's within it's specifications. This is what regulates the current and if it's capacitance is out of spec then it could allow more current through than the components can handle causing them to smoke. I believe the capacitor is also necessary for proper bulb ignition and if it is bad then the igniter may not be able to start the bulb and it will just flicker.

I would guess that the igniter is good since the light flickers when you turn it on. To test the magnetic coil, you use a multimeter to check a bunch of things. There is a website somewhere that explains how to do this.

I decided to try halides on my new tank instead of t5's and bought a used setup for $30 in unknown condition. It output way too much current and was melting the bulb contacts and the sockets in the light fixture because the capacitor was out of spec. The seller gave me 2 more identical ones for free and luckily one of those had a good capacitor. I only found a couple of places that sold the capacitor I needed and they were in the UK. If I had to buy that it would have doubled my costs.

In any case I would suggest just buying another one. I saw a 250W halide with t5's on here the other day for only $50. You may also be able to just pull all of the inards and replace them with new ones with a kit like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robertson-175W-Metal-Halide-Ballast-Kit-4-TAP-CMH0175H04932/121115821541

Edited by millsu2 - January 20 2015 at 12:13pm
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 1:15am
Best bet is to post a looking for ad in the classifieds lots of halides around now that leads are popular.

Fat in Las Vegas and answering forum questions I really need to get a life.
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 7:00am
Las Vegas, huh? Party  I'll bet that Fat, like me, has fixed more lights than we can count. I just fixed an LED light fixture yesterday. MH - no problem

Will work for coral. Smile or just for free for a fellow fish nerd. Wink
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 7:15am
Originally posted by millsu2 millsu2 wrote:

I only found a couple of places that sold the capacitor I needed and they were in the UK. If I had to buy that it would have doubled my costs.
There is a place right here in SLC where we can get these capacitors, new, for a just a couple bucks. It's called NPS and it's at 1600 So. Empire Road. I kind of hesitate to name this store, because in the last 5 years or so, since they have become more well known, their prices have risen. Yeah, like $15 value capacitors are now a couple bucks instead of 50 cents. Tongue

Just FYI, the fix for the LED fixture cost $23 because I bought the part at Ra-El-Co Electronic Supply here in SLC. Online, the replacement part would have been over $50

I hope hobbyists can discover that it really pays to ask questions here on this forum. 
Aloha  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 21 2015 at 7:28am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
millsu2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millsu2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 10:34am
Thanks, it's good to know where some good local electronics supply stores are. I only know of Codale and they never have anything I need or if they do it is extremely overpriced and I can get it at a big box store. They seem focused solely on supplying materials for the construction industry. Maybe I can get what I need from NPS to fix up the other 2 MH setups I have.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic