Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello all

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
neurotivity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello all
    Posted: January 20 2015 at 7:37pm
Hello all! My name is Oakley, I live in the Murray/Holladay area and I've been in the hobby for several years. I'm currently 2.5 months into my 3rd saltwater aquarium which will now be my second reef tank. 

I was first introduced to the hobby at age 12, when my uncle had purchased a 50 gal. complete setup, which was given to me as a birthday gift. Throughout the course of the year that the tank was within healthy parameters, I had experimented with everything from triggerfish, seahorse to a torpedo ray and even an octopus. (I know, I know total face palm moment) I was young and naive, the more exotic the species, the more I desired to take on the challenge of keeping it. In fact, the torpedo ray was successfully kept the longest out of all the inhabitants, with a lifespan just shy of 8 months.

With my prolonged experimentation, the aquarium came to a sudden deafening halt. (I will just leave it at that)

The second tank I had setup was a 34 gal. cube with a rear sump and MH lighting. I was a little older this time around and my level of maturity helped aid the success of this tank. This was my first reef tank and I was mesmerized by how different options and variants of coral there was to choose from. I fell in love!

It kept me busy for nearly 2 years until college enrollment came around. At this time, I had ended up selling the entire setup to a gentleman off KSL. I then packed my bags and was off to Michigan for my first semester at The University of Michigan.

Here I am now, 24 years old and I'm currently immersed into a 20 gal. Innovative Marine setup which I happen to be quite ecstatic about. I'm currently in the process of stocking it and my plans are to have a a variety of Ricordeas along with Acans and some SPS variants.

(My current setup)

-Innovative Marine NUVO Fusion 20
-Kessil A160WE + Spectral Controller
-CPR small hang on refugium with light (in progress)
-Hydor 425 GPH powerhead
-15 lbs. live rock
-20 lbs. live sand

Thanks for taking the time to read my intro! (:

Edited by neurotivity - January 20 2015 at 7:42pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 7:59pm

Oakley, It was good to meet you last night. You are off to a great start. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 8:16pm
Welcome. The tank looks great.

Edited by LaRue - January 20 2015 at 8:17pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 3:18pm
Welcome Oakley!

colesnwbds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colesnwbds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 9:57am
Nice tank.  I have the same HOB refugium, which has been a fun addition, and a good choice I think.  Have fun!
"Fishes live in the sea, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones."

— William Shakespeare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 1:06pm
Thank you all!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 1:07pm
I'm excited to get it setup! CPR seems to make quality refugiums
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic