Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warm water woes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dougandtito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warm water woes
    Posted: January 27 2015 at 8:57pm
Our tank has been hovering at about 80F for weeks, and even as we've turned the thermostat on the heater down and down and down again, it's only dipped to 78F at best. We even floated a half-gallon jug of frozen water in the sump today! It's near a window but never in direct (or, really, even indirect) sunlight; it's next to a heater vent that we kept closed. Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas or solutions?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 9:02pm
Oh, I should add: LED bulb over the main tank and CFL over the 'fuge.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 9:03pm
What is the tank?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 9:09pm
65-gallon
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 9:55pm
I would say a pump could be causing this, some pumps run very hot, that or a faulty heater.
65g Reef
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:01pm
I would say. What's the problem? 80 is a perfectly fine tank temperature.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:31pm
80 is fine as long as its controllable. If your 80 in the winter and cant figure out how to drop it. What will happen during the summer when its warmer
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:54pm
Faulty heater is the most likely culprit. Is the tank covered?
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougandtito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 6:54am
The tank is not covered. The heater is less than two months old. :(
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 6:58am
Easy to tell if it's the heater. Just unplug it for a few hours and see if the temp drops. If it stays at 80 or very near it then it's a hot pump or something else causing it. Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Easy to tell if it's the heater. Just unplug it for a few hours and see if the temp drops. If it stays at 80 or very near it then it's a hot pump or something else causing it. Krazie

I would think this would be easy too.  Just touch the pump.  If its heating 80ish gallons to 80* with the heater turned way down.  That sucker will be warm.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 9:31am
Save your pennies and purchase a controller.  Without one, you WILL have a heater fail one day and it will fail in the on position.  In the meantime, if you need to replace your heater, you are safer with two smaller heaters instead of one large one.
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 10:31am
A few things to think of:
1: How warm is your home right now? Think about this because we've had a very very unusually warm winter. Warmth outside your home plus your heater on in your home will help raise the temp in your tank. 
2. I know we've all been told that 80 degrees is getting into the danger zone for corals to start melting. Worst experience of my life personally. But the real question is, how are your corals doing right this very minute? Are they contracted in on themselves? Are they melting? Or do they look normal? If they're normal looking then worry less about it. Now I'm not saying don't try to drop the temp. What I'm saying is that corals and fish and hermits and snails are good at adapting to slightly warmer conditions. If they look ok then maybe all is surprisingly well.
3. How in the world can you get the temp down and keep it that way? A controller is the perfect solution. But, as we know every penny counts. A temporary solution can be as easy as going to Wally world and buy a clip on fan. Point it right across the length of the tank, that easily will help you drop just a few degrees. Or, if your lucky like me, have the tank in a room that has a ceiling fan. Keeps the temp down and the ph up.
4. Side note. Nervous about high temps in winter? What about when summer hits? I myself unplug the heater in summer altogether. I wait until the temp outside (at night mind you)is cool enough to not mess with the temp of the tank. That way I preserve my heater longer (or at least that's how I view it, there's no science behind my theory).

Just some food for thought. Keep us posted! 

Edited by hydro phoenix - January 28 2015 at 10:34am
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 10:53am
Good solid advice by everyone above. 
If the heater has been turned all the way down and the tank is still at 80, that's a stuck heater.
If not done already, get up right now, walk over to the tank, unplug and remove that heater. Exclamation
In my experience, our tanks are safer kept at 74-76 degrees so that if an undersized heater sticks ON it won't cook the tank before you notice the problem. Coral grow just fine at 75 instead of 78. A controller is awesome but expensive and still fallible. I have never used a controller. Don't need to. I just use one under-size heater, like 1 - 1.5 Watt/gal.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 28 2015 at 10:57am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Matthew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 1:31pm
Traditional heater thermostats use a piece of metal that expands with the temperature.  This piece will eventually fail leaving the heater permentantly in either the on or off position. 

Either a controller or a heater with an electric thermostat will prevent this and just quit working when they break. Smile  I remember buying electric thermostat heaters at either Petsmart or Petco, they were more of the high-end heaters but didn't break the bank, they looked just like a normal submersible heater.

I don't like the idea of underperforming heaters because I keep my house cool in the winter, and I have had a heater not be able to keep the temperature up before.

I think consistancy is more important than what temperature your tank is at.  A big quick swing even in an acceptable range will stress out your tank.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 3:01pm
I agree with Mark. Unplug the heater.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic