Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Improving Club Meetings - Suggestions & Sign Ups!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Improving Club Meetings - Suggestions & Sign Ups!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Improving Club Meetings - Suggestions & Sign Ups!
    Posted: February 27 2015 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

I'm not going anywhere. I first read this post this morning, and it slowly started to rub me , like an itch that you can't reach in the middle of your back. Confused
I got home from work and I had to say something, just so I could get it off my mind. 
I have learned to take aquarium pictures from the meetings we have had over the years, and that is the only information I have ever gotten, which I am thankful for.  But the total secret to having good pictures, is taking hundreds, if not thousands of pictures, and deciding which ones work for you.  I literraly have almost 50,000 pictures on my pc, and I usually take 20 -50 pics a night.   There is no secret, just practice.
I feel alot better now, no more itch. Smile

Brad I think your pictures should inspire people.  You have worked hard for what you produce.  I don't feel that you should be punished for all your hard work.  Ridiculous. Keep your beautiful pictures coming.

I would hope that people would be up for the challenge of getting up to your level.  I think people haven't noticed, but in the past we have had cell phone pictures win.  Anyone CAN win, but I think people forget that art is WORK and takes time.
135g...D.E.A.D

Welcome bright and shiny 120!
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 6:59pm
Muriatic acid demo as well please.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 5:56pm
I've offered to help many times, and I don't think I've ever turned down a request. Happy to do a workshop on recharging DI. I hosted one at my house last year.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 5:34pm
Also, id be happy to start or help with another photography thread.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 5:33pm

People shouldn't feel discouraged when another person wins something. If you like taking pics and posting them, DO IT. The only person holding you back is you. I've never seen anyone on here degrade someone's picture or tell anyone they cant post. If someone else wins, awesome. I've had my photography in several contests where I've won nothing and also won 1st, 2nd and honorable mention in the same contest. In every case I always feel accomplished just by showing it off. A lot of time its about showing it .. So don't think its a huge deal and you should stop because you didn't win.

if you think someone is winning more, get more people to vote. A lot of times the Potm has few voters. Lets get some more people involved.

Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

- Jeff / Justin, I am all for a 'broader' photography seminar that speaks to getting good shots with an iphone or other phone camera, as that is what many people now use for their main camera. I have an iphone and I would love to learn how to maximize its potential. I want you 2 to come up with the subject matter and then decide who wants to present it. I would have you do this in conjunction with Mike's presentation so that we cover the broader subject as well

- Kevin, I think that even with John (Pete Moss) stepping up and doing a lighting presentation in March, if we can get you to actually do a whole entire build 'workshop' = AWESOME Meeting idea.
Think about what that would entail, and PM me with your ideas and we will try to set it up for the 2nd half of the year sometime. If Jeff wants in on this with you, I am all for it!

I'm afraid I would be almost zero help with the photo discussion (thus why I recommended it as a topic) I take very poor cell pictures and don't own any more expensive camera.

The other topic I'm sure I could lend quite a bit to the information for a meeting (Talking to John about helping him already). Not sure how it will all play out at this point but am trying to help in any case. Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 4:50pm
I'm not going anywhere. I first read this post this morning, and it slowly started to rub me , like an itch that you can't reach in the middle of your back. Confused
I got home from work and I had to say something, just so I could get it off my mind. 
I have learned to take aquarium pictures from the meetings we have had over the years, and that is the only information I have ever gotten, which I am thankful for.  But the total secret to having good pictures, is taking hundreds, if not thousands of pictures, and deciding which ones work for you.  I literraly have almost 50,000 pictures on my pc, and I usually take 20 -50 pics a night.   There is no secret, just practice.
I feel alot better now, no more itch. Smile

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by jdinchak jdinchak wrote:

There are no restrictions in the POTM/Show-Off thread.  Anyone can post a new Poll/Thread for themed pictures.  They can make it a contest or just a fun place to post.  I think it would be great if someone wants to start and manage one.  We will still have the POTM for the site and post to FB but we don't have to limit to that.  We just need someone to create that post and manage it.  That person does not need to be presidency or even a paid member

I bolded a large part of Jon's post because it brings up a very important point.

One of my expectations for this topic is that we get not just people suggesting what "the Presidency" needs to do to improve / change / add to our Meetings (or Forum) to make things better...

But we get people stepping up and volunteering to head up some of these projects / ideas.

Can the Presidency help with logistics, organizing, recommending how to get things accomplished?

Sure Big smile

But (using the most recent topic of POTM as an example) if anyone is expecting "the Presidency" to start up, manage, and run 2 or 3 different POTMs simultaneously (like a "Phone Camera vs Pro Camera" or "Beginner vs Advanced", etc) then I can tell you that is almost definitely not going to happen...

Now comes the time where this topic either takes a new direction, or dies.

The "put up or shut up" time Wink

Here are some of my suggestions, based off of all comments so far:

- Nikki, let's do a "How to recharge DI Resin" presentation. I think that is an interesting topic that will appeal to a good -sized part of the Club. Heck, I would love to see how it is done myself. I will check the rest of the yearly calendar and see what months we have available, and you can choose from that when you would like to do it.

- Jeff / Justin, I am all for a 'broader' photography seminar that speaks to getting good shots with an iphone or other phone camera, as that is what many people now use for their main camera. I have an iphone and I would love to learn how to maximize its potential. I want you 2 to come up with the subject matter and then decide who wants to present it. I would have you do this in conjunction with Mike's presentation so that we cover the broader subject as well

- Kevin, I think that even with John (Pete Moss) stepping up and doing a lighting presentation in March, if we can get you to actually do a whole entire build 'workshop' = AWESOME Meeting idea.
Think about what that would entail, and PM me with your ideas and we will try to set it up for the 2nd half of the year sometime. If Jeff wants in on this with you, I am all for it!

- Dennis / Darren, let's get you signed up for TOTM. If you don't get a PM from me about this by the weekend, please PM me as I am old and forgetful and sometimes need a reminder Embarrassed

- Glenn / Chad / Paul / Chris / Ed, between the 5 of you, come up with another 1 or 2 POTM - style contest 'variations' and let's get them up and running! If you need help, contact Jon or myself and we can help you figure it out.

- Anybody else who wants to be a TOTM, let me know! I am ALWAYS looking for more tanks to showcase!!!
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 3:43pm
Brad, that would be sad if you didn't post your pics. I think everyone enjoys seeing them and for me it gives motivation to want to take pics of my tank and to make my tank better!

Going along with Nikki's idea, I had a photo class where we were assigned a theme and we had to take a picture that best represented that theme. We could doing something similar so one month it could be, "cooperation" and another month could be "soft" and the photographer can interprete that word how they want and post a picture of what they want. If could be a funny or serious interpretation.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 3:42pm
There are no restrictions in the POTM/Show-Off thread.  Anyone can post a new Poll/Thread for themed pictures.  They can make it a contest or just a fun place to post.  I think it would be great if someone wants to start and manage one.  We will still have the POTM for the site and post to FB but we don't have to limit to that.  We just need someone to create that post and manage it.  That person does not need to be presidency or even a paid member. 
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 3:37pm
+1 Nikki I agree that themes would be awesome. I also agree that nobody was saying for you to leave Brad.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 3:26pm
Brad, never did I say I wanted you to go elsewhere. You have your photos elsewhere already...you're in a different class than most of us. You shouldn't be penalized for that, but there's got to be a way to get other people to participate. What's the fun in winning if you have no competition?

How about this...have a theme for each month. Best FTS, most humorous, best chalice, best sump, holiday theme, etc. Surely that will challenge the best to expand outside their comfort zones while allowing newbies to possibly excel in other areas. When it's open to anything,the same types of photos typically win.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

You guys decide and let me know. I can easily take my pics to another forum if you don't want me to post.
I enjoy posting in the POTM because I have worked very hard in my photography skills, but I am nowhere near a pro and I use a lower end slr camera.  I have spent the last 5 yrs taking thousands of photos of my tank and you get to see only the cream of the crop. My camera never leaves my desk and is always at arms length for the just in case shot.   Maybe there should be a vote in the next meeting to see if everyone wants me to take my pics elsewhere.

I don't want you to take your pictures anywhere.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

I would like to see this discussion move more to how we can encourage more photo entries / more competition, rather than talk about penalizing someone for putting forth a good effort Thumbs Down

PS - The only reason I don't enter is because I am in the Presidency. If no one objects, I would be happy to put in a pair of shots each and every month...

Agree with Bob 100%. We need to focus on encouragement, not reduction.

I had no clue the presidency were disqualified. I think they should post away.
No one is excluded.  Only rules are it has to be your picture (Saltwater related) and you can only post two per month. 

I get where Bob is coming from, you don't want to have the appearance of favortism.  I haven't posted much when I ran it for one because I was lazy and two I didn't want anyone to think I positioned myself for the win. 

I took great care in making things as even and fair as possible so no one would be upset. 
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:51pm
yes... it sucks lol 

With flash! 

55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:47pm

I would like to see this discussion move more to how we can encourage more photo entries / more competition, rather than talk about penalizing someone for putting forth a good effort Thumbs Down

PS - The only reason I don't enter is because I am in the Presidency. If no one objects, I would be happy to put in a pair of shots each and every month...

Agree with Bob 100%. We need to focus on encouragement, not reduction.

I had no clue the presidency were disqualified. I think they should post away.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:46pm
I know how to get the macro stuff. I'm talking about true colors, how to deal with different light types (ever tried taking pictures with LED's?) how to do some simple editing, etc...

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. The Lens is a great additional piece, but I think you can get "good" pics without one (unless your trying to take pictures of fish).
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:38pm
Krazie Use a MACRO lenses for your phone - http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/cell-phone-lenses/
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:29pm
Does anyone know how to take "Good" pictures with a Cell phone? What settings, with filters or without, how to fix them in post processing (Photoshop, gimp, etc...)? I know we have had meetings from Mike about how to do it with expensive equipment, but I don't see myself spending that kind of money. I do have a pretty nice cell phone camera and would love to know how to better use it.

I think that would be an awesome topic for a meeting. If we have more people that know how to take a pretty good photo, with their cell phone, I think we would get more entries. I personally would rather spend my time researching cool DIY stuff for my tank because photography "stuff" tends to overwhelm me when it's not a passion. If there were 5-10 tips (outside of composition) that could make any cell photo "good" then I wouldn't mind taking some.

I don't see myself spending hours and hours researching how to do it on my own. I would however, go to a meeting where I could get the quick tips on something I already have. Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:09pm
QUOTE=tileman]You guys decide and let me know. I can easily take my pics to another forum if you don't want me to post.
I enjoy posting in the POTM because I have worked very hard in my photography skills, but I am nowhere near a pro and I use a lower end slr camera.  I have spent the last 5 yrs taking thousands of photos of my tank and you get to see only the cream of the crop. My camera never leaves my desk and is always at arms length for the just in case shot.   Maybe there should be a vote in the next meeting to see if everyone wants me to take my pics elsewhere.
[/QUOTE]

Unhappy  Absolutely no need for any "vote"

As Pete said "Don't you dare"...

Considering that everybody on this Forum has some sort of camera available (especially with all the cell phone cameras out there) I should expect to see 30+ entries per month as the norm; but most months we get less than a half dozen people entering. That's a big part of the issue here.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic