Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Improving Club Meetings - Suggestions & Sign Ups!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Improving Club Meetings - Suggestions & Sign Ups!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 7:49pm
If you want, I can be tank of the month again this year. 

I was last April, but my tank inhabitants/corals are almost all different now.  You can't even tell it is the same tank.  All sharks have been kicked out, but I have a few new surprises, including an Australian visitor with long blue teeth.

Edited by DMower - February 07 2015 at 7:50pm
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 9:30pm
I think part of the meeting problem, the clique, and so on is the cycle of members. The people who have been around forever seem like a 'clique' because they all have known each other for years they've been through everything and have lots of war stories together. There other members seem to come and go. When someone new comes in, it's uncomfortable for both people to try to become friends with the other person. So, it seems like a clique. But...I have to say, I only know a handful of people in the club and the first two who learned my name and said hi to me at every meeting even when I sat in the back corner and tried to sneak in and out were former presidency members. I must say when I first joined, that went a loooong way in making me feel welcome.

Regarding the meetings, it's hard to have a meeting to engage everyone because of the member cycle. Take the photography meeting.   If you've been a member for a few yrs, you've seen it, you know it. Clean your glass, don't follow the fish, etc. right Adam? but if you've joined recently, you want to hear that stuff. So, there is a big gap between what people want to hear.

One thing I liked, being a non diver, was learning about different fish's environments and behaviors in the wild. When the gent talked about the butterfly fish in Hawaii, that was cool. It's much more fun to have someone talk about experiences with fish and what they're like then just reading about it. Also, I'm concerned about the ocean like most of us are. A meeting about what's happening, what's being done, and how we can help is always good too. In the club that shall not be named, Scott F came and did a meeting on nano tanks and the different and new things coming out for nanos as well and cool fish and critters that are good for nanos.   That was an awesome meeting and one of my favorites I've been to.

Edited by Hogie - February 07 2015 at 9:38pm
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 11:01pm
Thank you all for keeping this thread positive! I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy and that others are willing to step up.

I've offered for years to do a recharging di resin workshop. As always, I'm happy to talk on pests/diseases as well. But that wasn't the point of this thread. The point was that I'd like to see other people/presentations than the same unchanged info year after year.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 12:34am
I'd like to learn how to recharge DI resin so I don't keep buying it!
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 12:55am
Hogie, you don't recharge resin. You just go to Nikki's place and tell her you are low and she gives you a few pounds. It's worked for me for years.

On the lighting topic. I have no spectrum Vs. growth knowledge, but I know how to build them. Set the requirements and I can build the light. Control is another thing...the Typhon has been around for years, but there have been improvements that need discussion. People hit me up to fix some crap LED and I spend 20 hours doing it because the tank will suffer if we don't fix it. Time is a premium.

You can buy low priced, high priced or build your own (costs more than high priced). All are trade offs. Money, time, effort. I would love to do a basic LED requrement set up for the group and hit on some of the new led trends. But my paying job tells me March is a iffy time, and April is out of the question. Believe me I'd rather be presenting to the club than spend to week in the pacific working and diving during my free time. And yes, when I'm out there I knock down a few Tuna as sashami. Great stuff. I'm not too fond of the tree bat though.

Let me know what's decided and I'll work with the others to present.

An LED controller that runs just the lights might be a good workshop meeting. I can do that one and people can leave with a controller and some knowledge.

Fat and getting Fatter. Bob, I know where it went when you lost it.

Fatman
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 2:22am
Originally posted by Fatman Fatman wrote:

Hogie, you don't recharge resin. You just go to Nikki's place and tell her you are low and she gives you a few pounds. It's worked for me for years.

Fat and getting Fatter. Bob, I know where it went when you lost it.

Fatman

I would like to nominate Fatman for post of the year.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

That all being said, I'm glad the community is no longer divided.

I'm really liking the direction Nikki's suggestion was taken. Might be time to look at membership again.
+1 Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 12:37pm
OK, our Members have asked for greater Member participation in Club meetings, so here's what we are going to do for the revised March meeting Clap:

- John Moss (Pete Moss) will be doing the main presentation

"LED Lighting: A Light Spectrum for Healthy Coral Growth & Coloration"

The presentation will cover things like how coral zooaxanthellae work; how corals get their colors; tailoring your lights spectral output for best combination of growth and color. John will also give a DIY demo on designing and wiring an LED light system Star

- The March Tank Of The Month will be Paul Rickett's (phys) 150 gallon sumpless LED Reef Tank -

and Paul will be giving the presentation to the Club himself Star

- Dynasty Corals of Boise, Idaho will be there! They are bringing a ton of sweet corals for sale Star

- Fish Food Direct will be selling the finest frozen foods at the meeting! Star

- We will be raffling off an LED light at the meeting! Star

- Don't forget our "Early Bird" raffle and social, free refreshments and magazines, Paid Member T- Shirts and more! Star

For more details, check our Facebook page, KSL Classifieds, and right here on our Message Board Big smile

Edited by BobC63 - February 23 2015 at 12:38pm
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

OK, our Members have asked for greater Member participation in Club meetings, so here's what we are going to do for the revised March meeting Clap:

- John Moss (Pete Moss) will be doing the main presentation

"LED Lighting: A Light Spectrum for Healthy Coral Growth & Coloration"

The presentation will cover things like how coral zooaxanthellae work; how corals get their colors; tailoring your lights spectral output for best combination of growth and color. John will also give a DIY demo on designing and wiring an LED light system Star

- The March Tank Of The Month will be Paul Rickett's (phys) 150 gallon sumpless LED Reef Tank -

and Paul will be giving the presentation to the Club himself Star

- Dynasty Corals of Boise, Idaho will be there! They are bringing a ton of sweet corals for sale Star

- Fish Food Direct will be selling the finest frozen foods at the meeting! Star

- We will be raffling off an LED light at the meeting! Star

- Don't forget our "Early Bird" raffle and social, free refreshments and magazines, Paid Member T- Shirts and more! Star

For more details, check our Facebook page, KSL Classifieds, and right here on our Message Board Big smile

Hello Bob,

What is the fee to attend this? I would love to see the light demos.

Marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 1:48pm
All meetings are free!
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 2:16pm
Adam meant the fee is $20 and you need to find me and pay me when you're there...    I went and looked at Pete Moss's (and learned his name is John after I called him Pete) lights over the weekend and am now going to the meeting! It's going to be good.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

Adam meant the fee is $20 and you need to find me and pay me when you're there...    I went and looked at Pete Moss's (and learned his name is John after I called him Pete) lights over the weekend and am now going to the meeting! It's going to be good.

I know you are joking about a fee to attend meetings, but thought I would make that clear in case that isn't clear to some who have not attended a meeting.
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

I know you are joking about a fee to attend meetings, but thought I would make that clear in case that isn't clear to some who have not attended a meeting.
Yes, there is some confusion here.

The $20 fee is actually paid towards me.  Find me and Ill make sure your covered.

Thanks!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 5:28pm
Ok, back on track.

How about a limit on the number of times someone can win POTM in a year? The same people usually win (and for good reason), but it may be discouraging for others to participate knowing that they have a low chance against some of the regular winners.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 5:37pm
I tend to agree with Nikki.  But I understand the same people also participate each month.  If we limit the number of wins per year, we are also likely limiting the number of participants.

How about a special raffle each month for POTM participants?   Encourage more people to submit photos and increasing the pool of winners (maybe).....   The trick here is to get people to submit photos even if they think they can't compete with Brad's awesomeness.  If you get a chance to win something, regardless of your photo winning, you may be motivated to submit.

My $0.02.

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 5:44pm
We're probably looking at what is cause versus effect. Do people not participate bc they know they won't win (like me...I gave up), or do people not participate for some other reason so the same people win by default?

Judging by the quality of the photos winning, I'm guessing people give up. I definitely don't want to punish or take anything away from the awesome photographers. But...people who are winning on a national level make the competition stiff enough that it's nearly impossible.

Maybe a rookie and a pro category? Win enough times in the rookie category and then you go to the pro?
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

We're probably looking at what is cause versus effect. Do people not participate bc they know they won't win (like me...I gave up), or do people not participate for some other reason so the same people win by default?

Judging by the quality of the photos winning, I'm guessing people give up. I definitely don't want to punish or take anything away from the awesome photographers. But...people who are winning on a national level make the competition stiff enough that it's nearly impossible.

Maybe a rookie and a pro category? Win enough times in the rookie category and then you go to the pro?

I have seen people win when they weren't the most polished.  Ask Brad how many times he has lost to an Iphone shot.  I have seen clever and unique beat polished.  I almost beat Brad one month with a blurry Garden Eel shot - I posted to just add more.  I was glad he won!

In the two years that I have managed the POTM I have seen waves of posts, some months we had a ton and some really great photos and other months hardly any.  I would love to see more people post.  Reminds me of the old lotto slogan "you can't win if you don't play. 
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 5:55pm
If we had more posts I think a rookie and a pro category would be really cool.  You would need more participants in both categories to really make it work.  It may not seem like a lot of work but setting up each of the voting rounds, monitoring, promoting and finalizing the winner can take a decent amount of time.  I wouldn't want to run two of them.  That forum is open if anyone else wants to create a photo contest - I think that would be great. 
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 6:25pm
i like the way it is.  POTM allows me to see cool tanks that are show quality and give me inspiration to continue building my tank up and learning....

Im not one for participation trophies though..  may the best win and the up and comings get better.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 6:45pm
I kind of agree with Nikki on this, but I also know that if don't get a lot of people posting pics it makes it tough to oust the previous winners.  Eventually we may not have a winner if only six or seven people are posting. 

I have posted in the past and felt exactly like Nikki, "There is no chance of me winning so why participate?" 

Then again, I go through spurts as to taking pics of my tank at all. (Right now there is no chance.  Not only no time, but no tank. Ouch)  I used to be really excited about taking pics of my tank, but when the excitement is not there anymore it doesn't get done.  I've only shot a few pics of my tank in the last couple years.

Whatever the presidency decides to do is good by me, but Nikki's suggestion is a good one and we should think about it and definitely should vote on it at the next pres meeting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic