Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sulphur Bio denitrator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 10:04pm
So i bought a koralin c4002 for a great deal on R2R. Going to use it as a denitrator. Since i will only be using a small amount of LSM would adding more Arm media help with the chances of it being bufferd better
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 10:13pm
Not really. Remember that in order to break down the arm enough to become a  buffer the pH  needs to drop below about 7. The reactor won't drop it that far. The extra media will provide more surface area for bacteria and will prevent the sulfur from tumbling but that is about it.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2015 at 10:12pm
So my denitrator has been up and running for almost 2 weeks. I have not noticed higher usage of alk yet. But it is starting to lower nitrates to a point where hair algae is starting to recede. I also swear my calcium usage has gone up a little.... my alk is right around 9, and my cal is around 380-390 when i try to keep it 400-410. Maybe i miss tested i will see again tomorrow or Saturday
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 8:40am
Calcium use could be higher just as a result of higher coral growth from lower nutrients and less algae. Keep checking your alk as it will start to drop as the reactor continues to cycle.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2015 at 11:57am

How about an update on how the sulfur reactors are working out.

Likes, dislikes, things you would change

Are you still using GFO?

Thanks Glenn

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 11:31am
My maxijet just died for some reason.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 8:53am
Mine is still running great and I've got it dialed in so that I am keeping my nitrates between 5-7ppm. I could easily take it lower but my corals don't like when my levels get too low.

I know jbuck has his running but I'm not sure if he has gotten it tuned or not. ThatGuy was having an issue with air leaking into his unit. I never heard whether he got that figured out or not.

The maxijet is easy to swap out or replace with just a twist of the pump. If you pump is running noisy then take the impeller out. you will notice that the impeller blades will turn about 1/8th of a turn independent of the magnet. I've found that if you turn the blades until they hit one of the stops (doesn't matter which way), Then place a couple of drops of super glue where the blade piece meets the magnet piece. This locks the two together and after it dries and is put back in removes all "chatter" from my pumps. I have a couple of pumps that have been running that way for months and I know someone else that has some running that way for years. Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 8:54pm
Yes mine is running great as well. I have  gradually increased the effleunt rate and have brought my nitrates down to 18-22 ppm i have not got my effleunt opened all the way yet. 
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 7:08am
Mine has been running for 3 months now, and I love it. They take a month or two to start working properly.

Yes I still run gfo, gfo is for phosphate.
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 2:21pm
I'm really considering trying this on my jellyfish tank. I can't seem to keep the Nitrates down for some reason. Does anyone have any leftover supplies? 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 3:52pm
I have plumbing fittings and a maxijet I could sell. No BRS reactor body or cartridge. I could also probably spare a small amount of LSM. It's a bit of a drive but the offer is there. 

Edited by Krazie4Acans - November 06 2015 at 3:53pm
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 4:19pm
I have a Two Little Fishies reactor. Will that work? I'll probably take you up on the offer. I do pass Syracuse occassionally. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 4:35pm
I've never built one out of a TLF reactor so I'm not sure what pieces would need to change. The BRS one is super simple and I know they work.

Edited by Krazie4Acans - November 06 2015 at 4:35pm
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 4:36pm
I have some LSM I can sell also, if you need some
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 4:52pm
Maybe it's worth it for me to just buy a BRS reactor if all the plans for that are tried and proven. Other than the reactor and pump, how much is the total cost for everything else? 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 4:57pm
PumpPump is $26 and plumbing parts are $16. I think you can get a reactor from BRS for $35ish.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 7:42pm
I have a single brs reactor $20
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 8:30pm
I'll take the brs reactor.
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 6:18am
I will be out making the rounds today with the reef store tour if you planned on being there as well. Either way text me 435.890.6626
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic