Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sulphur Bio denitrator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sulphur Bio denitrator
    Posted: February 11 2015 at 10:07pm
I am in the planning stages of making a sulphur bio denitrator.  I have been reading as much as I possibly can online.

I have a few of the parts already, but I still need to buy some of the tubing and valves, etc.

Any flaws with this plan?

I am looking for any local advice from those that run one of these.  Either factory built of DIY.

Thanks!
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 10:24pm
I have built 3 of them and they run great. I used BRS reactors and modified them to work.

On your design I only see one thing I would change. The inlet line should go to the input side of the pump and not the output side as you show. Putting it on the output side will produce some pressure in the line that will effect flow into the reactor. Putting it on the input side will actually allow the pump to help draw the water into the reactor.

I also did not find it necessary to have the vent line. All of the off gassing exits the output tube just fine in my design. I simply control the flow through on the input side only and that way any gasses are free to exit unrestricted from the effluent line.

Watch Your PH and Alk while you are running it and I only run them until the nitrates are reduced and then I shut them down to keep from over cleaning the water and starving the reactor which will produce large amounts of rotten egg gas. I would recommend running slightly less sulfur than is called for so that you don't starve it.

Hope that helps. Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 10:41pm
How much are these costing total?
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 10:55pm
Thanks Krazie. I will make that adjustment. Chad, I'm not exactly sure on cost yet. The media I have coming cost less than $60. The reactor I got used in a trade. The pump I had sitting around, not really sure where it came from. The tubing and connections all all I have left to buy.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 11:12pm
If you use a BRS reactor then a MaxiJet 900 or 1200 fit right into the fittings on the reactor. Then I bought CPVC (not the same as regular PVC) fittings to connect it all up. I'll take a picture and post it. I'm running Bio Pellets in it at the moment but is works well for both.

All of the plumbing parts I got from Home Depot.

Edited by Krazie4Acans - February 11 2015 at 11:18pm
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 8:42pm
Hey, so I've been getting edumacated on this too. ;)

I'm reading that the amount of sulfur media used should be 0.6% times the amount of tank water volume. Is that what you all use/plan to use?

Krazie, what's the second RO line for?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 9:08pm
Any thoughts on running output straight into GFO to reduce the likelihood of hydrogen sulfide?

Thoughts on running calcium carbonate powder instead of the aragonite media?

Thoughts on running a biomedia in addition to the sulfur to increase the surface area for the bacteria (essentially increasing the effectiveness as long as nitrogen isn't limited)?

Edited by ReefdUp - February 13 2015 at 9:10pm
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 9:20pm
That is the amount of sulphur I have read to use as well.  I am going to do that, then fill the rest of the reactor space with course aragonite media.   For me I think I have around 180 gallons or so total water volume.  The math is .006 x 180 = 1.08 liters of sulphur.

The other things you mentioned I know nothing about.  I think I read somewhere (don't ask me where) not to mix bio pellets or similiar with the sulphur.  If more surface area was/is needed, then use more sulphur.

What what I know, as long as you do something to adjust the ph after it leaves the sulphur media, that is all that matters. 

I will post more as I build mine, and how it works/ turns out.

DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Hey, so I've been getting edumacated on this too. ;)

I'm reading that the amount of sulfur media used should be 0.6% times the amount of tank water volume. Is that what you all use/plan to use?

Krazie, what's the second RO line for?

One should be the input from the tank, the other will be the return.  The pump just circulates the water in a loop through the reactor.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by DMower DMower wrote:

One should be the input from the tank, the other will be the return.  The pump just circulates the water in a loop through the reactor.

Ignore me on that one...that was one of my exhausted moments...
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 9:47pm
That formula is for people who setup the reactor and run it for a short time and then remove it. It takes much less media if you plan to run it longer term..
Calcium carbonate will cake and turn to a rock from what I read. Some people drip it on gfo with little to no result but that is from a few years back.

One line is in to the reactor from your return pump or aqualifter and the other is the return back to the sump.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 9:51pm
I plan to run long term and continuously.  What media amount is recommended for that?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 10:00pm
Two thirds of your calculated amount and plan to remove about half of that once your nitrates are down. Then it just runs in maintenance mode.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 10:05pm
Oh forgot to address the bio media. Most bio media is designed for an aerobic environment. Sulfur reactors work in an anaerobic environment. Not sure what the result would be in that scenario.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 10:20pm
From what I was reading, the anaerobic bacteria just latch onto the biomedia as well. The reactor isn't nitrate limited or sulfur limited...it's bacteria limited. Giving them more surface area to colonize will allow them to make the reactor more efficient even with less media. That's a theory I read anyway. I'm also getting extremely exhausted...so yeah. I'm going to bed. Probably just ignore my ramblings.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 10:30pm
Surface area is surface area. I'm not sure why it would matter whether it was sulfur or biomedia but since the bacteria consume sulfur in the process of converting the nitrates then doesn't it make more sense that they be on sulfur and not a media that does not aid them in their work? Don't know I may need to think on that one some more.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 6:53am
Last I knew Tileman/Brad was running this on his large tank. He's been using a S de-nitrator for almost 10 years. I would visit and talk with him about it. He welcomes visitors.  
Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 7:05am
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Surface area is surface area. I'm not sure why it would matter whether it was sulfur or biomedia but since the bacteria consume sulfur in the process of converting the nitrates then doesn't it make more sense that they be on sulfur and not a media that does not aid them in their work? Don't know I may need to think on that one some more.

From the reading I was doing, the bacteria involved do not constantly feed. Granted, they don't do much else (reproduce and expel waste), but they don't necessarily live 100% on their food source. Biomedia has extremely high surface area for the volume. For instance, I've seen some 1 square inch pieces that have >250 square feet of surface area. Compare that to the same volume of sulfur pellets, and they probably only have a combined surface area of a few square inches. So, I'm only talking of adding a couple of tiny biomedia pieces throughout the sulfur. But I think theoretically it should increase the bacteria population as long as sulfur and nitrates aren't limited.    
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 8:39am
Wouldnt that throw off the amount of sulfur you use? So instead of using X amount per gallon, you would have to change it to Y
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 8:46am
Maybe, but there's not an exact science to it anyway. Depends on the nitrate content of the water, flow rate, bacteria population, etc. That's why testing is a huge part of it all.

A few pieces of biomedia isn't a lot when we're talking about a gallon of sulfur in my case. If the theory works, maybe I'd only need half a gallon of sulfur, which means a smaller reactor. Or maybe the theory is bunk.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic