Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fragged Scoly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
neurotivity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fragged Scoly
    Posted: February 12 2015 at 10:25pm
I recently picked up a "Reverse Candy Apple" Scoly from WWC that has been fragged and I was curious to see if anybody has an idea as to how long it will take for it to regain it's outer rim where it was cut?

Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 10:48pm
I have read about a year which is why they are rarely fragged combined with what I understand is a high mortality rate. Just google it, lots of posts of people "experimenting" with this, most do not seem to return to a round shape.
65g Reef
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 4:34am
I have had a few severely damaged scolys that might as well have been fragged. They all took about a year to regain a circular shape.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 8:05am
Did they tell you it had been fragged? For the most part you really can't frag a scoly. I am guessing the scoly had been stung or was diseased and someone cut it back. It should grow back under decent tank conditions. I have one that had a small receded portion on it when I bought it and it is growing back. It takes time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 9:24am
Interesting. I just assumed it was fragged due to the shape and the location of the mouth. I've only ever heard of people fragging scoly's for grafting purposes.

I assume it's circular skeletal structure would almost need to be there for it to regain the shape. Correct?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 9:33am
I've seen quite a few fragged scolys. They aren't too bad to frag. It's Acanthophyllia that are bad.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 10:43am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I've seen quite a few fragged scolys. They aren't too bad to frag. It's Acanthophyllia that are bad.

I've read they can't be fragged. Dang the bs out there in this hobby is amazzing. So when they frag a scoly do they have to get a section of the mouth for it to work?
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 11:04am
Originally posted by neurotivity neurotivity wrote:

Interesting. I just assumed it was fragged due to the shape and the location of the mouth. I've only ever heard of people fragging scoly's for grafting purposes.

I assume it's circular skeletal structure would almost need to be there for it to regain the shape. Correct?

Well according to reedup above she has seen fragged scolys. I would think that they would end up round again since that seems to be their natural growth pattern but don't know for sure. Its funny i have read such contradicting info but i completely trust reedup's response. I have even read a couple of detailed articles about scolys and how you cannot frag them BUT that if a scoly appears to have died in your tank to leave the skeleton in the tank because the skeleton might produce babies and might continue to do so. Now i wonder if that is alsp BS.

Edited by Molli - February 13 2015 at 11:04am
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 11:33am
They can be fragged but do take a very long time to heal and grow out. One of the newer trends is grafting scoly's Here are some pictures I borrowed from google images of some grafted ones.

There were some at the Reef Fest this year with 4 different colors grafted together like pies.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 1:15pm
All of the grafted ones I've seen long term just turn into separate attched scolys. They never (IME) uptake the zooxanthallae of each other or truly become "one" with each other. That process usually takes about 4 years though.

I would buy a fragged scoly. Wouldn't buy a "grafted" one because they aren't true grafts.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 1:36pm
The grated ones are very unattractive to me. We alll have our own tastes!
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 1:57pm
Here is a good thread on it (http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/unique-corals/133327-experiment-worked.html) not sure if links are allowed so mods remove or let me know and I will if needed. Page three has some updated shots. Personally I would never do it to a perfectly good/healthy scoly but I could see doing it to a damaged one/sick one to try to save it.
65g Reef
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 4:34pm
I try not to inundate you all with my blog, but here's a Scoly I rescued to show its recovery over a year:

http://www.reefdup.com/2013/02/17/rescuing-dying-corals-scolymia/
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 10:22pm
Neat articles! @ReefdUp, I'm quite impressed, I wouldn't have ever thought that your success in rescuing the scoly would've been possible upon seeing it!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 10:29pm
Aw, thanks! You just made my night!
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Aw, thanks! You just made my night!

Upon reading your article, I happened to use your triple dip recovery method on a rainbow blasto frag which was melting/detaching from the skeleton. I'm completely shocked with how much the blastos have recovered already. I can honestly say that they're more inflated now and look significantly healthier than they were once I first got them.

Thanks again for sharing your article! I'm beyond ecstatic that the blastos which I initially thought were undoubtedly going to perish, are now on their road to recovery.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 4:30pm
Yaaaaaaay!!!! Fantastic! I'd love to see photos if you have any. There's a monstrous thread on Reef Central where everyone posts their rescues too.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic