Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yet Another of Bob's Build Threads / 150g

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yet Another of Bob's Build Threads / 150g
    Posted: February 14 2015 at 11:39pm

So... I've already done Builds on a 225 acrylic; a 37 Hex; a 93 Cube; and a 90 standard.

Now it's time for yet another rockin' reef system

This time let's do a 150 Gyre System  Clap

Edited by Upload2 - February 14 2015 at 11:50pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 6:58am
Is that going to be a see-through tank by the entry way?

Great picture of you too. You are doing great!

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 7:30am
Looks awesome already.
" a 225 acrylic; a 37 Hex; a 93 Cube; and a 90 standard." 
I believe I can see the 90 in the background, but I'm just curious, any of the others still running and is this 150 going to be a replacement or additional?
Aloha Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 15 2015 at 7:31am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 7:56am

The 225 / 37 Hex / 93 Cube are all long gone

The 90 is still up and running

However, the 150 will be replacing the 90... one tank at a time is enough for me

Right now, most likely that I am going to put the 150 in the same space where the 90 is now

It is just in the middle of my Front Room temporarily

I am going to fabricate an outer skin for the stand, but  I want it to be removable.

I am also going to set up the plumbing / wiring / sump 'pretty' enough that I can leave the skin off if I want to.

Water movement will be handled by 2 Maxxspect Gyres; one on either end off the tank. Only 1 will be on at a time; they will alternate every hour to somewhat imitate ocean tidal flow...

Right now I am thinking that I want to go light on fish load, with a pair of Moorish Idols as the 'centerpiece' fish

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 8:20am
This will be fun to follow Bob.  I always enjoy your threads.  What are your coral plans?
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 8:30am
Oh, I wondered if your house was being overtaken by salt water. Wink

FWIW, this pic illustrates my observation of the surf zone environment in which Hawaiian Moorish Idols live. Soft filamentous algae covers almost all surfaces where blue clove polyps don't cover. There are Aiptasia too, kept in control by the Idols and numerous Butterflyfishes. In this pic a pair of Idols was separated momentarily by the foreground rock, which isn't quite as large as it appears. Many fish can be seen dimly in the distance.

Looking straight down in that same spot, these coral grow thicker because the water is too close to shore/too shallow for Idols to spend much time here eating it.

Those blue cloves almost look like Xenia. As a matter of fact I have available a lot of Xenia covered LR and some growths of blue clove polyps and sponge encrusted rock. The Sponge repertoire includes blue, pink, yellow, black and white. I'll hold it for your consideration.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 8:31am
I like it! Can't wait to watch the build.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 9:04am
And more to drool over...LOL

Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 12:28pm
Uh Mark, that's was random...

I have a couple questions about the gyre. From what I've seen, they will flow in a circular pattern. But I've only seen it flow in an empty tank, how does it handle with having rock in the way? Also, does it leave a dead spot right in the middle? Kind of the eye of a hurricane?

Edited by Hogie - February 15 2015 at 12:30pm
rastareefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastareefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 2:02pm
nice pics markThumbs Up idols will always be one of my favorites Ying Yang
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Oh, I wondered if your house was being overtaken by salt water. Wink

FWIW, this pic illustrates my observation of the surf zone environment in which Hawaiian Moorish Idols live. Soft filamentous algae covers almost all surfaces where blue clove polyps don't cover. There are Aiptasia too, kept in control by the Idols and numerous Butterflyfishes. In this pic a pair of Idols was separated momentarily by the foreground rock, which isn't quite as large as it appears. Many fish can be seen dimly in the distance.

[IMG]uploads/4/1002_100a.jpg" hei
Looking straight down in that same spot, these coral grow thicker because the water is too close to shore/too shallow for Idols to spend much time

Hey Mark .. this is BOb's new tank build thread and I know a lot of us look forward to his tank build threads. Will you post your pictures and other stuff to a different thread. I didn't want to trash this thread with my post so someone who can please delete it at some point.
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 5:59pm
Looking forward to watching this build go down!  Tagging along... 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 6:21pm
Hey Molli, that's okay. I'm not offended. I asked Bob and he said he liked my posts; said it gave him ideas and that my pics are cool. This is a public forum of public threads/discussions where we should try to live in harmony with and tolerance of differences in viewpoints and opinions, like yours and mine. Hug
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

Hey Mark .. this is BOb's new tank build thread .......

Molli it would be helpful if you would learn to edit a quoted post so we don't get all the pictures again. It is easy, just edit out the extra information from the quote. You can see what it looks like by clicking preview at the bottom. Following this build.

Glenn

Edited by relethg - February 15 2015 at 7:44pm
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 11:41am
Alright, so it is time to get started...

Got the messiest part out of the way first; tore down the 90g and put all the fish into a 55g barrel, and the rock / coral into (2) 18g Rubbermaid totes. Everybody has heat and a circ pump going to keep things stable for another day or 2.

Once that chore was done, I started the fun part - setting up the new tank.

Here is a listing of the equipment I will be using:

Display: Aqueon 150 Gallon Standard w/ Dual "Megaflow" Overflow System

Sump : Elite Aquatics 45 Gallon 3 - Chamber System

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Return Pump: Jebao DC9000

Circulation / FlowMaxxspect Gyre System X 2

Controller: Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite

Filtration BRS Dual Reactor (Carbon & GFO)

Korallin Bio - Denitrator 1500

Lighting:    Kessil A350W LED Pendant X 2

Hamilton Reefstar 250w Metal Halide X 1

Edited by Upload2 - February 24 2015 at 11:54am
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 1:57pm
And here is a quick shot of the progress so far:

- Tank has been set up in the final location (space formerly occupied by the 90g)
 - Tank has been cleaned out; although overflows still need more work
 - Tank has been leveled and shims installed under the stand
 - All plumbing has been dry - fitted and then hard installed
 - Sump has been cleaned and installed
 - Return pump, skimmer, Media Reactors installed
 - Biodenitrator will remain off-line until tank is active
 - Tank filling with RO water is in progress

Left to do:

- Sandbed install
 - Salt addition
 - Gyre pump installs
 - Controller install
 - Lighting installs
 - Set water parameters
 - Add in Live Rock, corals fish

Edited by Upload2 - February 24 2015 at 2:00pm
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 3:38pm
You make it sound so simple Bob.  Smile
But then again, you have set up many tanks in the past.  I'm sure this one will be very nice once again.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 7:03pm
I agree!

kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 10:07pm
Nice set up, looking forward to seeing it running
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 10:27pm

Tonight's progress:

- Approx. 200 lbs. of new sand washed and added. Should be about a 3"layer of oolitic aragonite granules

- Gyres installed

- Kessil LEDs installed

I also installed a heater and a Koralia pump in the display to heat / circulate the RO water going in

I will try and snap a phone shot when I get up for work in the morning; right now it is too cloudy

Looks like it should be full within next 18 hrs or so

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic