Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yet Another of Bob's Build Threads / 150g

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 9:20am
Bob, it's really something special. Well done. I was wondering if you could talk about your lighting decision some more. I know you tried out some nice LEDs, but ended up preferring the halides. What helped you make that decision?
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 9:26am
Originally posted by 80cent 80cent wrote:

Bob, it's really something special. Well done. I was wondering if you could talk about your lighting decision some more. I know you tried out some nice LEDs, but ended up preferring the halides. What helped you make that decision?

Bob wrote this earlier

"

Ended up going with halides instead of LEDs...

in my case, I would have had to pick up 2 more Kessils - at a cost of close to $800 - to fully light this tank. I was able to get a (3) 250w halide setup for less than $200... with LumenMax Elite3 reflectors, and Icecap eballasts. So that is the direction I went.

Running (2) Maxxspect Gyre 150s for flow. They run 1 hour than alternate to the other side of the tank. I have to keep them running @ 60% or less, otherwise they blow the sandbed all over the place.

Skimmer is the Bubble Magus Curve 7. Return is a Jebao DC9000.Running a BRS dual reactor, and the sump is a 39g unit from Elite Aquatics.

"
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 10:11am
Originally posted by jdinchak jdinchak wrote:

Originally posted by 80cent 80cent wrote:

Bob wrote this earlier

"

Ended up going with halides instead of LEDs...

in my case, I would have had to pick up 2 more Kessils - at a cost of close to $800 - to fully light this tank. I was able to get a (3) 250w halide setup for less than $200... with LumenMax Elite3 reflectors, and Icecap eballasts. So that is the direction I went.

Running (2) Maxxspect Gyre 150s for flow. They run 1 hour than alternate to the other side of the tank. I have to keep them running @ 60% or less, otherwise they blow the sandbed all over the place.

Skimmer is the Bubble Magus Curve 7. Return is a Jebao DC9000.Running a BRS dual reactor, and the sump is a 39g unit from Elite Aquatics.

"

Yeah, purely a 'cost' based decision... but, to elaborate a little more:

- If I had stayed with the Kessils, I was looking at buying (4) new A360w'S... So, in reality, closer to a $1600 expense.

I do think that, ultimately, halides grow SPS a little better (faster?) than LEDs... but I do feel that quality LED systems (like Kessil) are certainly capable of growing anything a halide system can
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by relethg relethg wrote:

Bob, 
Now that the cabinet is done I think you are ready to change the tank in your signature block. 
Looks great.

How's that look?

Changed the sig, changed the avatar too

Edited by BobC63 - April 28 2015 at 10:21pm

relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 7:02am
Very nice. I hope I will be as successful.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 12:24pm
Brought this guy home last night. Got him from the Petco up in Sugarhouse; where he was being sold as a "Freshwater Flecked Moray" Ouch

No such thing as a 'freshwater' moray - they do start life out in FW, but need to change over to SW as they mature...

Anyway, $18.99 later he was mine Wink

Drip - acclimated him for 2.5 hours to get him used to the marine environment.

Seems to be doing fine so far; was out swimming maybe 10 minutes after introduction to the reef...

Edited by BobC63 - April 29 2015 at 5:29pm

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 1:39pm
Very cool!

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 5:31pm

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:34pm

When I bought out Pkapps tank, I got a few smaller frags in the process.

Most of them I simply sold off; as I figured the small stuff would get 'lost' in a 150 gallon tank.

I did keep a couple of things, one of which was a rather small Red Dragon frag.

Although the frag plug it was on was partially encrusted, the coral itself was not in good shape - a pale tan instead of the usual vibrant pinks and red hues...

Well, after a month of TLC, I was rewarded with some visible improvement- new pink growth tips Clap:

Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 9:26pm
Your tank looks great Bob!! Great find on the eel. I have a pair of Zebra Morays in my tank and I love them. They are so interesting to watch.

Edited by Rex - April 30 2015 at 9:43pm
http://zip-zero.com/wmas/imageUpload.php

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 12:06am

I hope mine starts coming out as fully as yours do! Right now, he spends most of time hiding behind a rock Confused

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 12:08am

With the coral in the tank about a month or so now; starting to get some real nice PE and coloration coming in...

iPhone Pics:

SPS

Orange Setosa

Golden Stylopora

Yellow Milli

ORA Spongodes

Cali Tort

ORA Pearlberry Acro

This frag I got from Kevin (fatman). It was  a normal medium green when I got it.

It has colored up so much; all those growth end nodules are a brilliant neon turquoise;

this iPhone photo does not do this piece justice at all...

ORA Red Planet Milli

Bird of Paradise Seriotopa (Birdsnest Coral)

Electric Pink Birdsnest

Green Slimer Acro

Sour Apple Birdsnest

Purple Birdsnest

Orange - Polyped Lokani

Tri Color Acropora

Blue Milli

Strawberry Shortcake Milli

Orange Digitata

Neon Hydnopora

Blue - Tipped Tan Acro (foreground); Electric Green Milli (rear)

Edited by Upload2 - May 01 2015 at 9:41am
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 8:24am
Looking really good!! Let me know when you want to frag that golden stylo and the yellow Millie;)

Edited by bstuver - May 01 2015 at 8:25am
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Upload2 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upload2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 9:54am

LPS  (iPhone pics)

LA Lakers Scroll

Icy Christmas War Coral

Aussie Elegance Coral

Blastomussa Merlitti

Blood Chalice

Nice orange rings starting to come in on these Candycanes

Scarlet Pink Fungia

Neon Green Fungia

Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:18am
That pink fungia is still my favorite! It looks better in person which is saying something because it's looks pretty good in the pic!
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 9:30pm
That eel is so amazing! I love the idea of them, but my wife has threatened our marriage if I pay money for a "swimming snake" as she calls them. 
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 12:02am

5 - minute tank video I made earlier Sunday evening:

https://youtu.be/nM7bXA1e4Nc

Edited by BobC63 - May 04 2015 at 12:07am

Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 8:02am
^^^^ I like!!!
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 10:26pm

What's this? A pair of Moorish Idols???

Hmmm... I wonder who has those?

Maybe you should click this video link and find out Wink:

https://youtu.be/B0NOUjfjuc4

Edited by BobC63 - May 08 2015 at 10:28pm

aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2015 at 8:38am
Bob,

I have a new signature line for you:

"Sending other reef hobbyists into a state of envious depression since 1977"

Looks fantastic!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic