Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seahorse help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seahorse help
    Posted: February 20 2015 at 12:52pm
I'm considering doing a seahorse tank.  24 gallon nano cube which would have a bunch of macro algae.

Has anyone had long term success and experience that could give me the good and bad?

I will only be able to feed once a day and an occasional day would be skipped.  I don't mind a little care, but would rather it be relaxing than stressful.

achillestang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achillestang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 1:45pm

It sounds like you are planning to do exactly what I have been doing for the past year.  I set up a 30 gallon seahorse specific tank.  It was started with live rock and sand from existing tanks.  I then added chaeto algae from the sump of an existing tank that was teeming with amphipods and copepods.  I have since added two different kinds of caulerpa to add diversity.

I feed the horses only once a day.  I feed them frozen Mysis shrimp that have been enriched with vitamins and other additives.  The horses eat very enthusiastically every time I feed them.  And like you, there are days where I am unable to feed them, but the various amphipods and copepods seem to provide enough nutrition to sustain them in between feedings.  I find it fascinating to watch them hunt for the live food.

One of the keys to my success was that I purchased tank bred/raised tiger tail seahorses (Comes) that were raised on frozen Mysis shrimp.  I hoped to purchase a male and a female, but it turned out that they were both males.  I will be adding a couple of females once I find some that are suitable. 

On a side note, not long after purchasing these seahorses they both developed sizable air bubble on their tails that created disturbing buoyancy problems.  But by fortifying their food (and minor surgery on their tails) they are both very healthy.

A Reef Oasis View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Reef Oasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 1:46pm
Come and see the setups and seahorses we have in, we can answer questions you have.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 1:46pm
I have no experience with seahorses, so I have nothing to offer but encouragement. Please set up this tank, it'll be so awesome.

I think seahorses are bad***

I want pictures. 
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 2:01pm
If you read up on them at seahorse.org or talk with any breeders a one day fast is highly recommended to help clear out their digestive tract. If you have ample amounts of bugs for them to munch then once a day feedings are fine but its recommended to feed them small feedings 2-3 times a day. Seahorses have a very primitive digestive system and dont get as much nutrition from the food they eat as other creatures would.
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 2:39pm
What about snails and hermit crabs.  Yes or no?
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 2:41pm
When I worked at Aquatic dreams they kept a couple hermits in with the seahorses. They got along just fine. The seahorses actually ended up breeding.

Might depend on the species though!
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achillestang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 2:45pm
In my setup I keep snails, blue-legged hermit crabs, and peppermint shrimp.  I have never had any sort of problem with any of them.  I just have to occasionally take out the shell of the peppermint shrimp after it has molted.
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 3:37pm
What temperature do you keep your tank at?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achillestang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 3:45pm
I  am able to keep my tank right around 72 degrees.  It is easy to maintain that temperature this time of the year, but during the warmer months I have a fan blowing across the surface of the water to help keep the temperature down.  It is possible to keep seahorses at a warmer temperature, but they do better at lower temps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic