Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

White stuff on my LR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
akasha7585 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akasha7585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White stuff on my LR
    Posted: February 21 2015 at 10:03am
Good morning,

I am in the cycling process. This morning I woke up and found this stuff on a piece of my live rock. Do I need to be concerned or is it just die-off? No fish in the tank. There is one turbo snail who hitchhiked in. See pictures below. Thanks!

proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 10:25am
sponge.  Ive had that. . touch it, it should feel....spongy. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akasha7585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 10:29am
First thing I did this morning..LOL..it felt a bit slimy and pieces fell off fairly easy when I picked up to see.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 10:41am
It may have been Sponge, or some other invertebrate, but it now has the appearance of dead and decomposing life. The color comes from a fungus that assists with decomposition. Depending on what method is being used to start up this tank, more of that kind of dead and decomposing life will be seen as it goes along. There is a way to set up a reef aquarium where it doesn't happen like this.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akasha7585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 10:54am
Thanks everyone for your help! The tank has live sand, (dry) live rock, some rubble pieces of live rock. Its a 56 gallon with a 20 gallon refugium with some live rock rubble and mineral mud. That's it so far!
Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic