Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

210g to heavy for upstairs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 210g to heavy for upstairs?
    Posted: February 24 2015 at 9:51am
Im looking to upgrade to a bigger tank but not 100% sure how much weight my floor can take. Looking at the floor beams they are 2x8 spaced 14.5" apart. The new tank will go in the same place as the old tank, placed against the wall in my living room. Directly behind the fish tank is a load bearing wall that supports the staircase to the basement. I will not be able to add any additional bracing as directly underneath the tank (in basement) is the ductwork for the heating/air conditioning.

I found this formula that is supposed to help determine the load.

aqurium floor load worksheet:

length of tank _______72_________ inches, multiplied by width of tank_____24_______inches, equals the base area in square inches:____1728________.

dividing the base area in inches_____1728_____ by 144 gives the base area in square feet:______12______

multiplying the base area in inches ____1728_____ by the height of the tanck in inches_____30_______ gives the capacity of the tank in cubic inches__51840__________.

dividing the tank capacity in cubic inches by 251 gives the capacity in gallons:___ 210_____________.

multiply the capacity in gallons by 8.5 pounds yields the weight of the entire system:____1785________

multiply the weight of the water by 1.2 to give the estimated weight of the entire system:______2142___________

divide the system weight by the base area in square feel to give the load:_____180_________.

the load should be less than 100 pounds per square foot, or wahtever you determine to be the load bearing capacity of the floor.

jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 10:10am
Wow that is sweet if you can do it. I would be stuck on how to even get up stairs or the idea of lugging water for WC.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 10:12am
^^^^ Thats when you use a closet upstairs for an RO system and mixing containers!

55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 10:24am
It's fine. I have my 300 upstairs.
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
SharkByteShaz View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 1:35pm
I'm putting my 300 upstairs also, been told by many that there isn't an issue. Mine will be against the outer wall in the kitchen.
HOLD MY BEER, I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING...
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 3:54pm
I have read to put the tank perpendicular to the floor beams.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 8:31am
Had a 220 on the main floor against a bearing wall for several years. My 234 is the same.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 12:01pm
There are many factors affecting how much weight a floor can safely hold. Just because one house can do it or one location in a house is safe (such as next to a bearing wall), it is definitely possible that a joist (floor beam) can be overloaded and broken.   A big factor is the span of the joists carrying the weight. As the span increases, the joists bend down more at the middle when weight is added. The worst place for a big tank would be in the center of a large room, far from any bearing wall.
Another factor is if you have a newer house where "standard" construction materials/techniques were used. A 100 year old house like mine used oversized strong lumber, but foolish plumbers and furnace installers in the 1960s cut big chunks out of many of my joists. Are there any WMAS engineers? My limited knowledge is from remodeling/construction.
Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 12:57pm
This has been debated for ever. Unless you have blue prints of how the home was built there is no way of knowing the actual capabilities of the home. I will take tgi's over nominal build any day. (old vrs new) however as Steve stated your over all span, distance apart and size all contribute to what can be safely carried. The more joists you can span the more it can hold safely. In the end. Ive only seen one tank actually break joists and go through the floor. It was in an underbuilt home in west valley that didn't have joist hangers. How that got through inspection I don't know.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
ReefAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 1:14pm
I had a 400 upstairs for 2 years. It was not perpendicular to the joists and only spanned 3. I put 4x4 supports under those 3 and held them with floor jacks. No sagging.
Will work for frags.
(801) 664-0805
Computer Technician. MCSE. VMWare Hack, AD Overlord, Apex Neptune Master, Rapid LED Genius and overall Nerd.
faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 2:10pm
Accurately measure the floor to ceiling distance directly below the tank. Then fill the tank 1/2 full, then 3/4 full, then 100% full and see if any sagging happens. It won't crack/fail with no "warning"- there would be significant sagging first... I think. Maybe that's not good advice. Good luck.
Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 10:24pm
Here is a factor I am looking at; the stand for the 90g I am getting ready to set up has 4 legs each 4"x4" so my total weight distribution is 16sqi. so I have 1050lbs over a 1.33sqft area, by my calculations that is kind of high (yes we have a basement below, it is right next to an outside wall in an older home.) I have no doubt that that kind of pressure will not be good for the linoleum, but a bigger problem is dropping a tank and sump into the basement. 
One thought I have is spanning the front legs together and the back legs together with a board thus ensuring I cross joists and have more weight distribution?

Will someone just tell me that everything is going to be alright?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 7:50am
My own opinion is if you put it on legs you are looking at issues in the future. Both with floor compression and possible issues with the underlayment. You ALWAYS want the weight distributed over the largest amount of space possible.
4x4 are really 3.5 x 3.5.
We use 15lbs per gal in our calculations when we engineer a tank. (up to a certain size then we increase it) by our calculations we would count on 27.55 per sq inch. This is not something I would build and sell to a customer.
Again Just my opinion.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 11:28am
Dion;
That's what I was afraid of, I got the tank at a killer price so I didn't complain about the stand.
Now on a nonexistent budget I am trying to do damage control, another issue I am facing is 5'x1' is an unusual footprint to just find a used stand. 

It looks like I am going to make a base box from 2x4s and hope it is enough.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 11:39am
You ok. A box to distribute the weight is a great idea.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic