Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LF Tank Sitter!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aporter360 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LF Tank Sitter!
    Posted: February 25 2015 at 8:11pm

I will be gone from March 6th till march 15th. Im headed back home to California for spring break and need someone to take care of my 10 gallon nano. Unfortunately only I have access to my building so I would need to bring the tank to you, shouldn't be too hard though. (only a measely 10 gallon). I just have 2 phantom clowns and a bicolor in the tank with some corals. I will be taking most of the corals home to put in a bigger tank but will have a few left.

I will be at the march 5th meeting so I can bring it then. I will also gladly pickup upon arrival back here. Looking for something cheap as I cant afford much! maybe a few polyps or so could help keep cost down.

Thanks all in advanced!Smile 

54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 8:14pm
Oh and text me 530-313-3880
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 11:27pm
That's only a week. 
If overfed for a few days prior, the tank will be just fine. A little extra algae will grow and that will feed the Bicolor (blenny or angel, you didn't say). There are edible things the Clownfishes can find to pick on. 

Assuming the lights are already on a timer, right?

Set up a slow drip siphon via airline tubing from a gallon container to keep the water level from dropping too far in 7 days.

If there's a chance that a person (roommate, janitor, a friend down the hall) could feed a preset, prepackaged normal amount at about day 4 or 5, the tank will easily come through without any loss. Fish can go for more than a week without food and even as easy as it it to move an entire 10 gal by just dropping everything to the sand and taking out half the water, IMO, it would be less stressful for the animals to let them get a little hungry than moving them and moving them again 8 days later

That's how I'd do it.
Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 7:36am
interesting, maybe i can get somebody to come over once. only problem is it evaporates like 3:4 a gallon a day. could i borrow an auto top off maybe? or a float valve to drip water in as it evaporates?
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 8:23am
That's an unbelievable amount of daily evaporation. What temperature and has it been verified with another thermometer?
Is it in a hot room so that the tank has to be cooled with a fan blowing on the water?

Here is the easy method of auto top-off:
1. 5 gal bucket of water elevated just above the tank,
2. airline tubing with stiff plastic tube reaching to the bottom or small rock rubber banded to end of tubing,
3. plastic air valve or loose knot at the other end adjusted to drip water into the tank, at a rate that is equal or slightly less than evaporation rate,
4. start the siphon and run it several days before leaving town, to check and adjust the drip rate.

I have a 50' roll if you need airline tubing and I have some stiff tubing as well.
I also have several float valves, but honestly, with those there is the trouble of mounting them on something that sits in the tank and then the risk of failure when, not if, the mount slips. A simple, uncomplicated set-up is less prone to failure.

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 9:17am
Well its interesting because the room is pretty cold, around 68 constantly, and using my reefkeeper and regular thermom its about 77 degrees on the tank, the top is open with alot of water agitation so that may contribute to evap. and i would love to do all that if i had the time and equpiment. Fortunately someone here offered to take ot for the week so i will see what works best for me. thanks though!
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic