Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acropora of no violence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acropora of no violence
    Posted: March 01 2015 at 8:53pm
Has anyone ever had 2 acro colonies of the same species, but different colors, grow until they were touching/intertwining.  I know different colored monti caps can touch and even be grafted together with no stinging or chemical warfare from either color.  I'd like to have many colors of A. millepora in my future tank that could grow together into a merged supercolony with no ill effects.  Will it be be peaceful or will there be war?

Example of merged monti caps.  Not my tank.

Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 9:06pm
acropora have a harder time then montipora. I have seen it before but very seldom. They usually have chemical warfare
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 9:25pm
I agree with badfinger.
If I'm not mistaken, in the pic those are all Montipora capricornis, only different colors, that's why they get along.

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 9:47pm
I understand all the corals need to be the same species.  I guess successful growing together or "grafting" has a higher chance of success with montiporas because they are so submissive in fights.  A mix of encrusting montiporas (different colored M. undata for example) should be easier?  I have seen a photo of two brains of the same species, but different colors, that were cut and glued together and the fusion worked.
Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 10:19pm
Grafting has to do with protein entering the coral and creating the graft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic