Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding a beginners section to forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
uh60chief View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uh60chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding a beginners section to forum
    Posted: July 31 2005 at 12:57pm

This would be a great help to the new reefers in the area.  It would be nice to have a place that you could stick very helpfull threads.  I am thinking a non posting section adding only things that are helpful, kinda like the FAQ section.  I have asked what the different types of macro alge's look like before and that has slipped of into the forum abyss, just an example of things that might be kept in a section that you don't have to rumage thru to find what your looking for.

Sorry I seem to be having a hard time explaining what I'm thinking.  Hope it makes sence.

Jason&Andrea Townsend
Bluffdale Utah
Tired of looking at my empty 125 :(
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 2:29pm

Let us see what everyone else say about it.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 3:48pm
How about one sticky where we add every link we can find? I don't think we need a sticky for each individual thing, but we could have one sticky to rule all stickies!
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 4:18pm

I would love a beginners section! I have been doing this for 2 yyears and I still know nothing. I guess you can't teach an old dog any tricks!

Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 4:32pm
Most people seem to like asking specific questions and getting specific answers. We disbanded the WMAS Library because of lack of interest. I suspect that sticky notes will be ignored just like the books were. It is sometimes frustrating to answer the same questions over and over again, but that kind of personal attention is part of what makes this MB successful. Few people can take the time to read and study every little thing they have a question about. Also, sometimes my understanding of a particular topic changes in the interim so the current answer could be better than an old answer

For me, until the time comes that I don't enjoy it anymore, I will continue answering questions and sometimes refer people to previous threads.
There are two things that I think are great:
when a person includes this message board as part of their homework before making a purchase or taking action
when a person asks questions here or calls me at the very first hint of a problem.

BTW I'm impressed that you chose that awesome Macroalgae thread as an example. The value of algae in a reef tank is too often missed by new hobbyists.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
uh60chief View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uh60chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 4:50pm
Yeah thats my idea behind this new section.  I don't want to take the personality out of the forum.  I would just like to see a specific section for us new people to go to for basic questions like what do these macro algae's look like.  I also don't think that anyone needs to come up with things to put there, I think that when someone comes up with a good beginner question that it might be placed in this section for later use by others.  Putting the list of acronyms in there, the faces to macro algae's, maybe some pictures of different corals and fish.  It would be like your old library that you had, but the community would build the references listed in it by asking questions.  I don't think everything needs to be listed in it, but we have some very knowledgable folks around here, and I see some very helpful thing posted but somtimes they get lost in the forums.
Jason&Andrea Townsend
Bluffdale Utah
Tired of looking at my empty 125 :(
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 5:00pm
So what else do you have questions about?
SandRider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 5:06pm
A newbee section with the basics would be great and a "how to ask questions"
you know Marks favorite reply to all newbee questions

what size tank
whats in it.
how old is it etc etc ...

Ray
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 5:18pm
Very good Ray. You are a quick learner.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 9:33pm
I think we aught to have a newbie "FAQ" of sorts.
Schondar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schondar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 9:44pm
There is so much info that alot gets lost in the saltwater mind of a newbie. just something like a refresher read type thing. I have just recently found  www.wetwebmedia.com to be a great place for info too.

125 gallon reef
ASM G1-X
2-250 watt XM 10k's
220 watt vho actinic

Scott Lund---Evanston,Wyoming 1-307-783-5926 cell 1-307-677-0183
derikhills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derikhills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:15pm
1 vote for adding a macro forum.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 1:09pm

Jason and Andrea-

Well here was my first thought.  To me, this entire message board is a begnniners forum.  I'm not really sure what I would or would not put into a special forum. 
I know we are working on a beginners list of FAQ and Acronyms and the simple how to guide.  These items will be posted on the nav bar to the left <----, but I'm not sure if we need any more forums????

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Philism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 4:17pm

Speaking as a beginner, I would agree with Adam.  I love the idea of a FAQ, acronyms, and How To section in the nav bar.  I also think of the message board as one giant library.  I’ve had to train myself to not just jump on the board and post a question; but first to take the key words of that question and enter them into the search function of the message board.  I almost always find the answer and a lot of additional answers to question I don’t know to ask.

In regards to SandRider’s post, Mark’s questions are what inspired me to dedicate a blog to my reef tank.  I know I’m going to be asking a lot of questions and I don’t want to have to type out all that info every time.  Since I planed on keeping a journal/log on my tank anyway, I decided it would be best to type it out once and post it online.  Then all I have to do is create a hyperlink to it in my signature and refer people to it whenever I ask a question.  I’ve got the skeleton laid but no info in it yet as I do not have a tank yet.  You can check it out at TheTank.blog.co.uk if you want.

Edited by Philism
Phil
Sandy, Utah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic