Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ISO: reflector material for lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SharkByteShaz View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ISO: reflector material for lights
    Posted: March 04 2015 at 6:31pm
Looking for the mirror reflective material for MH, I remember that someone on the board used to make and sell the reflectors but since LEDs are so popular they may be obsolete.
HOLD MY BEER, I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING...
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 6:05am
There is a place in SLC where I used to buy lots of mirrored aluminum for around $2/square foot. It's the same stuff used for those reflectors. I'd have to look it up. Let me know if you're interested.

Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 7:39am
Interested. Second question, does the mirrored vs shimmered work better for growing out corals, ever heard anything on that?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 10:49am
Shimmered? Do you mean the bumpy stuff? It diffuses the light in more directions, including directions that are not down into the water. IMO it's not any better.

Looking for the company. I know where it is/was, but trying to remember the name.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 11:00am
Thanks for the input. Look forward to the other info
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 7:45am
After an extensive search I found the place. They had moved, again. I placed an order for a 4'x4' sheet. Will that be enough?
Aloha Hug
Here is an old pic of the stuff. I used to make my own reflectors all the time.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 7:55am
That should be plenty, how much is it
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 8:05am
Don't know price, exactly. Didn't ask, just in case they would cut me a better deal on some scrap pieces. It's been a long time since I bought some. I'd estimate about $2.50/square foot. If you already know what size pieces you want, they can cut the pieces on their sheet metal brake. I used tin snips but it takes a while so it was nice when I could give them some exact dimensions for approximate sized scrap/end pieces.

Hug
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 9:02am
Tank is 8'×2'×32", I'm thinking 2'×3' but let me get exacts when I get back to the house today could be drastically under estimating the mirrors on it now.
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 8:31am
What was the name of this place. I'm not ready to make my light yet so I'd like to have this in the back of my mind for when I am ready.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 8:38am
Is this stuff any different than the less expensive mirrors sold at HD and Lowes?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 9:01am
Doug I can cut that on my sheetmetal shear at work..... And just so it makes me feel smart a sheetmetal brake is for bending metal not cutting it Mark.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 3:52pm
Shear to cut and brake to bend. Got it. Tanks.

The place is Advanced Lighting   www.advlight.com 
I ask for Bruno, but Bryan helped me the other day because Bruno was out. Bryan remembered me from years ago. I sent lots of people there.

I don't know about mirrors at HD/Lowes. This is ~90% reflective aluminum. This is the same stuff that  aquarium light fixture reflectors are made of, but it's heavy duty/heavier gauge metal.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 9:14pm
Thanks for the info. Really helps!!
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 3:00pm
Has the mirrored aluminum arrived? I'd like to square the books before you vamoose. Also I want to paint my pic black any suggestions? Maybe I'll come down see what you have left over for sale.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 3:01pm
Geoff that would be great if you could cut that on a shear and brake some angles into the piece of aluminum.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 10:01pm
I have a big sheet, I think I bought it from mark years ago but never used it.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 8:32am
Brian must have got busy and forgot to call me back. With the craziness that has been going on recently at my house, I also misplaced his card. I'll bet if you call him (801-972-9530) and say it was you I was getting this stuff for, he would be happy to help you. Remember this is just a minor thing for their larger business, so be mindful that he is doing us a favor. Otherwise, you might ask Shaun if he is coming to the meeting and buy that sheet from him then.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049 (always available by text or voice)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 8:46am
I'll get the sheet from Shawn then. I thought you had paid for it already, I have the other info now if more is needed. Thanks Mark. BTW any thoughts on paint for PVC that you've found to be safe inside an aquarium?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 9:19am
Why paint PVC? Why not buy colored PVC or use black ABS? What is being done that requires PVC in the display? Is there another product or plumbing design that might work better? Sorry for the ?'s but I may be able to share something that can help.

Rather than use this thread to answer, please text or call me at 808-345-1049. These threads are way too slow, IMO. I would have already been on the phone to you but I don't have your number.  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic