Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FOXFACE SPINE TO THE THUMB!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOXFACE SPINE TO THE THUMB!
    Posted: March 09 2015 at 10:05am
Hi all just wondering if i need to be concerned about this throbbing thumb. I was rearranging some rock and I caught my foxface unawares, and poked my thumb good. I just want to see if there are any remedies, or just suck it up and deal with the pain. haha
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 10:16am
Foxface venom, especially if you are sensitive to it, can be quite gnarly.

If the venom got in your blood stream, necrosis is a possibility, swelling is a guarantee, and the pain is going to last a while.

I would take an anti-inflamatory, and if that doesn't help within 12 hours consult a doctor.

Definitely clean the area to prevent a bacterial infection.

Edited by Pete Moss - March 09 2015 at 10:16am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 10:20am
Thanks, I put HP on it immediately  and and rinsed with RO Water flushed as much blood from wound

as possible but Dang this sucker hurts. I'll Take some Ibuprofen and see what happens, just wanted 

to make sure i was going about it the right way.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 10:25am
Benadryl :)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 10:27am
K got that too, anything else I should. Add to my cocktail? Lol
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 10:33am

Prescription strength Cabo Wabo would help dull the pain..... (i guess Jameson could work as well).

Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 10:41am
I see you used " RO water" to rinse the wound.... Wouldn't want any algae growing in there ;) Lol

Hope you feel better
jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 10:45am
It was the closest source of water,hahaha I feel fine other than the flashbacks, I keep having visions of a simpler time, small glass bowl and Cambodian bettas,you know the ones showed up about 26 years ago, all the rage back then,see now I'm rambling drugs are kicking in..
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:15am
I would add a double tall scotch to the cocktail. Mixing alcohol and drugs is always a wonderful idea.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:17am
Pink elephants, ....pink elephants,.... pink elephants on parade, .....bom, bom, bom
SharkByteShaz View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:35am
As hot of water as you can stand to denature the toxin at least 20 minutes and then followup with the aforementioned drugs or inflammatory or pain killer of choice. You could pee on it but that only works for jellyfish, have fun with the throbbies... keep us abridged...

Edited by SharkByteShaz - March 09 2015 at 11:36am
HOLD MY BEER, I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING...
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:42am
Originally posted by 1stupidpunk 1stupidpunk wrote:

Prescription strength Cabo Wabo would help dull the pain..... (i guess Jameson could work as well).

+1

If you have enough Cabo, you might jump in the tank and kick the fishes ass.

Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

I would add a double tall scotch to the cocktail. Mixing alcohol and drugs is always a wonderful idea.

+1

Great choice; I prefer a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned when I do my reefing. Within reason, I don't want to get attacked like jbuck13.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:51am
The standard first aid procedure is hot water soak with as hot as you can safely stand for 20 minutes followed by a vinegar soak followed by another hot water soak. The hot water breaks down the toxins and the vinegar dissolves any calcium lodged in.

Still seek medical attention.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
SharkByteShaz View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:57am
Thanks for the follow up Nikki, I was thinking I forgot the vinegar after posted. Do what Nikki said...
HOLD MY BEER, I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING...
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:59am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

The standard first aid procedure is hot water soak with as hot as you can safely stand for 20 minutes followed by a vinegar soak followed by another hot water soak. The hot water breaks down the toxins and the vinegar dissolves any calcium lodged in.

Still seek medical attention.

Wow, thats pretty intense. Do any of the more common fish, like yellow/blue tangs, and clowns do this?

I imagine it has to have some sort of barb on it, but I could be wrong. My clowns (RIP) tried to bite me, but it was just a nibble.

Marcos

jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 12:06pm
I've done hot water soak when it actually happened I grabbed at base of thumb and squeezed toward wound I pushed out a lot of blood the throbbing is all but gone, (meds have helped) so I'll move on to vinegar soak and then back to hot water, thanks all for responses.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

Wow, thats pretty intense. Do any of the more common fish, like yellow/blue tangs, and clowns do this?

I imagine it has to have some sort of barb on it, but I could be wrong. My clowns (RIP) tried to bite me, but it was just a nibble.

Marcos

Only specific fish have venoms that are harmful to humans. Foxface's, scropionfish, and lionfish are the big ones to be careful of in the reef hobby.

Oh and the blue ring octopus.

Your other fish shouldn't cause too much harm :)
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

Only specific fish have venoms that are harmful to humans. Foxface's, scropionfish, and lionfish are the big ones to be careful of in the reef hobby.

Oh and the blue ring octopus.

Your other fish shouldn't cause too much harm :)

Thank god, I was nervous. I know of the other fish, but did't know about he Foxface. It seemed so calm...
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

Thank god, I was nervous. I know of the other fish, but did't know about he Foxface. It seemed so calm...

They are nice! They don't really go out of their way to attack you haha. I love those cute lil' guys!
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 5:14pm
The hot water and vinegar treatment is standard procedure with nearly all marine minor injuries. Hot water breaks down nearly all dangerous to humans known marine proteins. There are a couple of extremely rare one that the hot water actually intensifies the effect, but statistically speaking, you're safest with the hot water.

Don't pee on any marine injury. Ammonia makes nematocysts fire all at once. Vinegar dissolves any attached undischarged ones before they discharge.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic