Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dumb question - how much to feed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CMcTay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMcTay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dumb question - how much to feed?
    Posted: March 12 2015 at 12:41pm
I realize I should already know this, but my best guesses don't seem to be working out, as represented by my high nitrates lately. I am clearly overfeeding, but before I started cutting back I wanted to see what other people tend to do so I don't accidentally starve my fish in the process.

I have a 55g that has two full grown clowns, a yellowtail damsel, a midas blenny, carpenter's wrasse, longnose hawkfish, cone snail, a slew of turbos and hermits, and a thriving population of bristle worms. The guy that I bought this tank from just would feed a healthy sprinkling of flakes twice a day, but I prefer not to use flakes or pellets. What I do have is roe, frozen mysis, and reef frenzy, and I feed a little mix of all of these once a day, as well as a sheet of seaweed once a week or so. 

I kind of just eyeball the amount of frozen I put in, a cube of mysis + about half that amount in reef frenzy, plus a couple drops of roe. It seems like that's not even enough for all of them, but then I've been wrestling with nitrates ever since I pulled them off the flakes and started on the frozen (which is backwards and NOT what I was going for, heh).

How much and how often would you guys feed this particular population of fish? 
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 12:59pm
If it were me i would just switch to reef frenzy only.

What are your waste export methods? Skimmer? Water changes, carbon? Gfo
CMcTay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMcTay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 1:01pm
Currently have a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer and a marineland HOB penguin... that last one seems a little silly but it came with the setup. I do 10% water changes weekly. No carbon/gfo reactor YET, but I will be running one soon.
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 1:03pm

I feed my reef tank once per day. My usual routine is take 1/2 cube of Mysis and 1/2 cube of bloodworm OR brine and place them in a very small Tupperware (like the size for condiments) with just enough water from the tank to cover the frozen food. I usually add a drop of garlic oil and a drop of Selcon (HUFA) but that's optional. After letting it thaw for 10-15 mins I use a turkey baster to squirt about 1/4 of the Tupperware volume into the tank. I then watch to make sure all the fish eat, if within 3 mins all the food is gone and the fish are still at the top of the tank looking for more food I squirt another 1/4 of the Tupperware.

The rest of the thawed food goes into the fridge for the next days feeding, and anything left after that feeding gets squirted into the corals/anemone as I wouldn't feed anything older than that to my pets.

CMcTay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CMcTay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 1:05pm
Waiting to see if it all gets eaten first is pretty brilliant :) I should try that!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 9:52am
High pollution levels?
Biofiltration is the real workhorse in a reef aquarium. Populations of bacteria, bugs and worms (including Bristleworms) grow larger to eat the leftovers. If what is wanted is for the aquarium to clean up, have lower pollution levels and look better, stop feeding for 3-5 days and then feed half as much thereafter. Also, if the bristleworm population is large like the pic below, there is an easy way to remove the overpopulation. Just ask.

Don't worry, fish can do well for a week or more without feeding. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
MarksReef Coral Farm in Murray
750 E Lakepoint Dr. #4V
text/call ahead at 808-345-1049

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 10:24am
I've read that you should feed as much as your fish will eat in 30 sec. For me, that seems light. I feed them turkey baster squirts one at a time until a piece of food hits the bottom and then I stop.

Also, what's eating the seaweed? From your fish, it looks like there isn't a herbivore in the group and a sheet of seaweed might be a bit much for the omnivores and that might be contributing to the nitrates.

Edited by Hogie - March 13 2015 at 10:27am
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 10:33am
NO that is not a dumb question. 

I feed 3-5 times a day. 

I also have 24 clown fish 4 tangs, 2 wrasses, 2 gobies, 2 triggers, and more. 

So my tank eats a lot, I also skim like crazy because of all of this. I empty my skimmer at least 2x per week, I do bi weekly water changes as well, to keep up with all the feeding. 

J
CMcTay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMcTay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 12:31pm
Thanks for the info guys :) it's all been super helpful

Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

Also, what's eating the seaweed? From your fish, it looks like there isn't a herbivore in the group and a sheet of seaweed might be a bit much for the omnivores and that might be contributing to the nitrates.

I'll be completely honest, I bought the seaweed and clip on a whim because I was so charmed by the idea of them all swimming up to one spot at the front of the tank and taking nibbles while I watch, haha. My midas blenny goes NUTS for it. The wrasse also likes it, and the hawkfish will take bites here and there too. If this is just making things worse and not contributing to their health at all, though, I'll definitely chuck it. It was more for my sake than theirs anyway.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 12:37pm
To me it sounds like you're a LITTLE heavy on feeding based on the livestock, but not as heavy as you probably think. Just tone down the amounts a little :)

Might need to boost your filtration a tad. I'll have to swing by and look at the setup some time. See what we can do to upgrade it >:)

Edited by Pete Moss - March 13 2015 at 12:37pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 1:16pm
It's not a dumb question. In fact it is a very difficult and challenging question to answer.
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 1:26pm
Every tank will be different. I feed at least 4-6 cubes of various frozen a day along with two sheets of algae. One algae sheet in the morning and the other in the evening with a good amount of spectrum pellets. This is in a 150 gallon tank. I also spot feed my eel krill or squid every 3 days or so.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 3:36pm
You feed 4-6 cubes a day?
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 3:38pm
Woah! Jeremy, you have 24 clowns in a tank??? Can we get some pics posted? That's really uncommon among reefers, but sounds super cool. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic