Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Acan head changing color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Acan head changing color
    Posted: March 25 2015 at 1:08pm
Sometimes even slight differences in lighting ( shade from surrounding rock ) can change the color of an acan. They are some of the most sensitive corals to light conditions out there. I've seen them completely morph colors.

New polyps often have different color patterns the adult colony, and usually color up to match the colony later.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 7:28pm
Welcome to the hobby. Smile
Yes, it has to do with chlorophyll, lighting spectrum, pigments, carotenes and who knows what else. This is one of the most fascinating and yet least understood aspects of coral husbandry.

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tealgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tealgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 6:00pm
So I have an acan that turned into a large colony, and have another head near by that has grown extremely large, but until recently it has not had any new heads. Both are similar colors... so I was slightly shocked with the large acan started to show a new one attached, that is not the same color. Has anyone ever had this happen? 

The colony next to it is a dark orange and pink. The large one next to it is almost fully orange, but the newest little acan attached is light green and pink? I have acans that are green, blue and other colors in the tank, but none near by. Can the new ones just change color?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic