Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Puffers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tealgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tealgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Puffers
    Posted: March 20 2015 at 8:27pm
Posting for Proskier LOL he is being lazy about wanting to type.

What hard shelled food are you feeding (and where do you get them from) for puffers? We have two different types, and want to make sure they are keeping their teeth at the right level.

Thanks Wink
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 9:13pm
In general, any seafood medley from an Asian market is great.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
rastareefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastareefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 6:39pm
i feed my porky a mix of mysis krill mussel and sometimes he steals some silverside pieces from the moray haha
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

In general, any seafood medley from an Asian market is great.

Adam

which actually files the teeth down?

Ive been feeding krill/mysis and brine.

do they need to break open clam shells or something to help file them?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 10:10am
I was thinking that it's called a beak, a fused bony plate. It should wear as the fish chomps on rock and shells. Puffers in aquaria often eat snails and things like sponge growing on LR. Sometimes they chomp on hard coral. I have a brain coral skeleton with some stuff growing on it that your Puffer may like to chomp. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, unless the beak grows to the point where it actually gets in the way of eating.

Aloha  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 23 2015 at 10:11am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 11:07am
I fed small freshwater snails to keep the beak on my longhorn filed down. He loved them!
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 10:26am
GOOD NEWS!!  I found food for my puffer.

Sundial snails.  The little bastards are in my reef tank.  I noticed they come out right after the lights are turned off.   Going hunting tonight.   The predator tank has nothing for the snails to eat, so i dont care if the survive in there.  They will feed the fish if they do :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 8:04am
well went on a hunt last night in the 40g tank.  Snagged about 20 sundials and dumped them in the big tank.  he wasnt all that interested but hopefully he will find them in the rocks and snag them
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic