Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saddleback Puffer Experience, Anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saddleback Puffer Experience, Anyone?
    Posted: April 09 2015 at 3:56pm
The title pretty much says it. My kids won't stop bugging me about getting them a Saddleback Puffer, which is fine with me. I'm just curious to hear positives or negatives from people who have kept them.

Everything I have read online says they're not reef safe. Does that mean not invert safe, or not coral safe as well? What about tank mates (other fish)?

I may setup a species specific tank... or possibly a fish and softie tank... or I may forget this hair brained idea and do something else... decisions... saltwater decisions...
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 7:46am
I believe what you have read means the usual, that they will eat Snails(especially Stomatella), Hermits, Peppermint Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp and similar inverts. Since they prey on animals commonly out of direct sight of the hobbyist, there is little chance for the hobbyist to train the Puffer to stay away from those tasty morsels.

In my experience, when that information is relayed to the kids they will understand and follow your lead, if your wish is in protecting those very useful reef inhabitants from falling prey and leaving the tank vulnerable to nuisance algae, Aiptasia, parasites and other issues. 

That's my 2 cents.
Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 8:49am
They are related, not the same fish, but I had a blue spotted puffer. He was great-- didn't touch snails, shrimp or corals. He just moved slow and let me pet him. Really liked that guy. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 7:41pm
Sounds good. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic