Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

weird questions...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TJAy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJAy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weird questions...
    Posted: April 10 2015 at 8:32am
Hello,

I started a little salt water nano, so obviously the virus spread and now i want to convert my 55 gallon fresh to salt. Most of my questions are about cutting corners because i'm a poor college student...

I want it to be for one moray eel and for now be a FOWLR tank only. so my questions...

I have play sand in the tank is it horrible to use? or do i have to buy new sand?

I have a 48 in T8 shop light with 6500 daylight bulbs. Will that keep the live rock alive? will it be enough to grow Coraline? 

I also have a nice canister filter for the tank. should i run it? or should i take the filters out and just throw some carbon in there? any thing else it would be good for? 

Thanks so much
TJ
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 9:27am
I believe I can help. I've been called the "King of Cheap". I know how to keep a lovely marine aquarium for pennies. Of course I'm full of opinions, sometimes referred to as BS. Wink

First of all, lets talk about FOWLR, which, for those that don't know, stands for "Fish Only With Live Rock". That's actually an outdated phrase because much more is known about reefkeeping today than 20 years ago when that phrase was coined. Did you know that about the only things that aren't safe from an Eel are shrimp. That means you can keep an Eel with coral in a reef aquarium. Sometimes Hermits may be at risk, but Snails are usually safe, not prey for an Eel. Depending on size and type of eel, there may be "no worries mate".

Next, your question about play sand is valid. Yes, it can work, but why use non-aragonite sand when Utah Oolitic Aragonite Sand is available for free? Aragonite sand is better because at the bottom it dissolves, adding Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium to the water and keeping pH constant.  Good aragonite sand is also available here for free if you patiently watch the forum. Yes, I have Utah Sand for $0.50/lb. but I have also posted where to find it, if you don't mind a 2 hour round trip to pick up enough sand to make it worth the gas and mileage. Look at the "Reefkeeping Tips" thread link below.

Many types of coral grow just fine, in fact Coralline Algae grows better than fine if that shop light is fitted with a t8 Actinic/blue tube for one and for the other, a t8 tube normally sold as a freshwater plant light.

IMO, canister filters are obsolete in the reef hobby. The flow from a canister filter is so slow it's pathetic and unless the thing is cleaned weekly, it becomes a Nitrate Factory. On the other hand, we can provide a great environment in a box of water without external equipment. It just needs to be set up properly with LS, LR, Macroalgae and excellent water flow. 

Water quality involves a couple things:
 - A small media bag of 75% AC and 25% AA can be placed near the powerhead intake or in a small HOB filter for just two weeks a month to help keep water clear and free of toxins;
 - Monthly water changes of just 10% keep water quality in line and when the need arises;
 - Baking Soda, Ice Melt and Epsom Salt complete the need.

The next time you visit we can talk more about this and I can show how I do it.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Hey, please don't let mine be the only reply/comment. There are other hobbyists with other opinions that should be heard.

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 10 2015 at 9:39am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 9:50am
I agree with mark for once! Those lights will be fine for a FOWLR and even softies if you put an actinic bulb and plant bulb in there. I wouldn't use the canister filter either... put a powerhead on each side of the tank, a HOB would work great for running carbon when needed. I have never owned an eel but from my understanding they are escape artists so some sort of lid or mesh would be needed to cover the top.
TJAy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJAy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 3:31pm
thanks!

Ill be looking around for free sand or just buy some from mark.

Ill get rid of the canister filter.

Ill keep the shop light.  Does this mean i need new bulbs for sure? If i kept the bulbs that are in it now would it grow things still? (not coral i'm assuming but maybe macro algae and keep the rock alive???)
the current bulbs are 2 32 W 65000 K

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 3:08am
Those tubes will be fine for growing coral too, just not so good for bringing out the beautiful intense colors, one of the reasons we love our reef aquariums. Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 9:50am
let me tell you about my 125g predator tank.

Stock:

Lionfish
fox face
porcupine puffer
niger trigger
blue spot puffer
melanarus wrasse

i think thats it.

125g tank
fluval fx5 canister
aquaclear 110

no water changes
feed 2x day
top it off every other day with fresh water

and its a happy tank.

not sayying to not do water changes but I am saying fish only isnt too much to stress about.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic