Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

acan injury, dip?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: acan injury, dip?
    Posted: April 12 2015 at 2:37pm
So one of my rocks fell on my acan and the skeleton is showing and beginning to recede, my question is what is the best dip to use to save it? thanks in advance for your help.
90 gallon mixed reef
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 3:29pm
I've had success with Revive. It's like Coral Rx but it worked. I received a damage scoly in a shipment. The shipping bag popped and it had run out of water but I wanted to try and save it. I dipped it, gave the tank amino acids to get it to eat and fed it pellets. It's slowly coming back from near death. That's just my two cents. Not sure how much damage the rock did though. The flesh on my coral was almost gone which is why I suggested that.

Edited by Marcoss - April 12 2015 at 3:33pm
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 3:44pm
I may be wrong, but if all that happened was a smash, it should only lose the polyps that were smashed. I'd leave it in the healthy tank and feed it like Marcose said. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 5:34pm
None of the heads we're smash it's the flesh in between the heads that is receding and it looks as tho the heads around the damaged flesh are beginning to be affected
90 gallon mixed reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 8:07pm
OuchOuch, I'm sorry to hear that. For a while I had Acans that fad away one polyp at a time. I doubt they have a disease because several neighboring Acans are not affected. I moved them all to the sand of a lower light tank. I now believe that they like less light, even though they were in a shaded corner of their previous tank. One of the Acans that didn't have problems quickly became more colorful after being moved to a lower light area and the others stopped receding. I'm still learning, even after 20 years. Smile

If lower light doesn't stop the recession, rather than a dip, I would probably ask ReefdUp if she could take it to her Coral Rescue Project. I believe she has something in her rescue tanks to stop an infection that may occur after that kind of damage. Go here: http://www.reefdup.com/rescue-corals/

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 8:16pm
i might just get the revive and try it, anyone else use revive to help injured corals?

Edited by Reefboy4life - April 12 2015 at 8:19pm
90 gallon mixed reef
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 9:06pm
Iodine is it for me after fragging.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Reefer4Ever Reefer4Ever wrote:

Iodine is it for me after fragging.

Hey, do you use Lugols? I cannot figure out the dosing on that correctly. I've read some people say add drops based on what your corals like...but that does not make any sense to me, at least initially.

Any suggestions on dipping straight iodine?

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 9:22pm
I use 1ml per 8oz of saltwater. Mine is just over the counter iodine.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 9:28pm
Thanks Mark for the referral!

If the coral is dying beyond the injured area, then it likely has an infection. If you've had a healthy tank up until now (no weird coral or fish deaths), then it's probably a minor infection. Personally, I use hydrogen peroxide and CoralRx for generic infections. Lugol's will work too. I haven't used Revive, but I've heard good things.

Prepare a dip of a 10:1 tank water to hydrogen peroxide. Dip the coral for about 20 seconds, while gently squirting it with a pipette. Then, place it back into a container of tank water. Continue squirting it until the majority of the bubbles dissipate.

Prepare a dip of Lugol's/Revive/CoralRx, and dip the coral according to the manufacturer's instructions. Squirt the coral gently with the pipette while it's in the dip. Rinse the coral off in a container of tank water.

If there is any loose tissue, use superglue gel to secure it to the skeleton (like you're closing a cut). You'll need to glue healthy tissue to the skeleton for the wound to close - do not just glue necrotic tissue.

If the infection is really bad, you may need to frag the coral (cutting only in the healthy tissue area) or use different (specific) medicine.

Keep us posted.

Oh, and the bottle of Lugol's (if it's for aquarium use) should have instructions on it. One drop per cup of water is common. Don't dip with straight iodine.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 11:14pm
Ok thanks ReefdUp I will do the hydrogen peroxide dip then dip it in revive once i receive it (just ordered it) I will keep you guys posted
90 gallon mixed reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 2:19am
Did the peroxide/ revive dip, I'll let you know how it does
90 gallon mixed reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic