Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New here...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ttabbal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttabbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New here...
    Posted: April 28 2015 at 4:00pm
I guess this is where I say hello. I'm looking to get started with my first reef tank. I've done freshwater, but have always wanted to try this. What I have now is really pathetic, a bare 55 gallon tank on a stand. I'd love some hints on inexpensive ways to start that are still safe for the corals and fish. I'm very good with DIY projects, so I'm considering sourcing some parts to make lighting for the tank.

I've texted Mark and will try to get over to Midvale for some rock etc to get started with. Before I do that, I need to figure out what gear I need though. Any suggestions would be great. I figure something to move the water around (powerheads?), some kind of filtration (was thinking of a canister filter), heater, and lights before I put anything in the tank.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 4:17pm
Welcome - Lots of great resources on the site. 

Join us next week for our May meeting Frag Fest.  Next Thursday at 7pm.  More details on meeting thread.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 4:32pm
Welcome!

ttabbal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttabbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 4:42pm
Thanks for the welcome! I'll try to make it to the meeting.
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2015 at 5:42pm
Still water is dead water. Unlike fresh water, saltwater does not require (though you could use one) normal filtration like a HOB (hang on the back filter) Most of us use protein skimmers some of us do without. Most of us grow Macroalgae to get rid of unwanted nutrients so I would focus on lights and powerheads personally as far as saving money Mark is the man he has collected tips for along time and compiled them into his secrets to an affordable reef tank. When It comes time to set up live sand and a chunk of liverock or multiple will get your tank started and after that purple means go. Coraline algae everywhere means you can slowly start adding livestock. Research everything and ask questions. Welcome to the wmas
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2015 at 7:41pm
Welcome!
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
ttabbal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttabbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 4:20pm
Thanks to those that posted and PMed. The combined knowledge here on the forum is amazingly helpful. I've been spending loads of time browsing the old posts learning how to keep this thing stable. I now have a cycled tank with macroalgae, CUC, a couple corals, and 3 little fish.

And a nice collection of diatoms, but they are getting eaten and I don't think they are increasing anymore. I think I need more snails.... :)

PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 6:57pm
Awesome good to hear the only peeve I have with this hobby is the drain on my checkbook
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2015 at 6:44pm
Welcome (belated)
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic