Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank and sump builds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank and sump builds
    Posted: April 30 2015 at 2:18pm
I have been busy making some custom tanks and sumps for some members on the board. The first was a custom tank I made for Pete Moss. It is 67 inches long x 17 inches wide x 12 inches tall. It is all 1/4 inch glass.

Because this thing was so long we were a little worried about too much bowing in the middle so we euro braced the top with a 2 inch piece of glass.

There is the final product. It was definatly the best tank I have built. it was very clean.
Fish Food Direct
Great Food for half the price
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 2:26pm
The next project was a sump combo for CHAOS. He had a whole bunch of used glass that were old windows taken out of his house. The first sump was all clear 1/4 inch glass. it is 25 in long x 12 in wide x 17 in tall.

the next sump was made out of some frosted glass that he had from an old window. the glass looks really cool. it is 18 x 12 x 17 tall. I believe he is working a system that will be able to use the two sumps together

Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 2:26pm
Looks good

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 2:32pm
I have a whole bunch more used glass and I will be looking for another project. I am going out of town until the first of august but when i get back i would be happy to start making tanks again. Let me know if you are interested and we can make one out of used glass or all new glass or a combo to help keep the price down.
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Mejeremy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mejeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2016 at 1:51am
Can you make acrylic tanks?
Do you prefer acrylic tanks or sumps to glass ever?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2016 at 8:33am
I've only worked with glass. I prefer glass because it does not scratch as easily
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
BCA MAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BCA MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 10:40pm
Have a 55 gallon that has a badly scratched front panel. Ever thought about replacing a tank panel. Main pain I see is getting the standard black bracing off. I would just replace it but it's an overflow model so they are little pricey. What do you think?

Thanks
55 Gallon Display
20 Gallon Home Made Sump
Why Not DIY?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 7:10am
I can certainly try for you but I don't have any glass right now but I could order a piece for you. But I cannot do any promises that it will work. It's up to you if you want to try it
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 8:22pm
I needed a little tank to hatch my brine shrimp in so I made a little 12x12x12 tank. It only took me about an hour to cut the glass and get it put together. It's just drying now. here is the pic of the tank with my little helper on the side.

Not bad for a hours worth of work and some salvaged old windows.

Edited by backwards32 - February 20 2016 at 3:13pm
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 6:19pm
I decided to add another little piece of glass to give it some strength where my light will be clamped.

Here is my little brine shrimp hatchery. I think it should work pretty good. I will be hatching a batch tonight.

Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic