Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Skimmers Should I Buy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Skimmers Should I Buy?
    Posted: May 04 2015 at 4:58pm
The time has come to upgrade from my AMS G3 Skimmer. I want something that's space saving but is powerful enough to handle my tanks bio-load.

Pertinent Specs:
235 Gallon reef
10 Fish (more soon to come)
I feed a pinch of small pellets twice a day
35 gallon refugium
G3 Skimmer (with occasional Ozone dosing)

These are the two I've been considering. I've done some research on both but it's hard to tell between the two. I've been out of game game for a while and am unfamiliar with these brands so some guidance would be great. 

Vertex Omega 180i Skimmer
Pros - Quite, Wine Bottle Style, Strong construction, Screw top
Cons - Maybe too small for my system and the size up from this one (the 200i) has very mixed reviews, long break-in period, more difficult to adjust

Reef Octopus 8" Regal 200SSS Space Saving Skimmer
Pros - Rated for 200+ gallon tanks, Shorter break-in period, easy to adjust (gate valve + controllable pump)
Cons - Cup has to be pulled out (not screwed), Not a wine bottle style

I'm really stuck here so any advice is much appreciated. Also if you have any suggestions on other make/models please let me know. I want something big enough for my system, quite, smallest footprint to effective filtration ratio, and a good construction.
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 5:11pm
Do you have to have pump in skimmer
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 5:41pm
have you looked at the eshopps s200 or s300.  I used to run an s150 on my old system and it was flat out awesome.
480 in wall in progress
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 6:41pm
badfinger:
Currently AMS runs inside the sump and it's pump runs outside of the skimmer. My sump is pretty small and space is at a premium hence why I want a more space friendly skimmer.

nsfw dave:
I'll look into those make/models. Thanks

29 Biocube

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 7:02pm
Have you considered bubble magus?

A curve 7 or curve 9 would do wonders in that size aquarium

I run a curve 7 on my 150 G display / 40 G sump system
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 7:28pm
Only reason i ask is cause i have heard the reef octopus sro-3000 skimmer is top notch. And that is from mojo over on reef2reef that has tested alot of skimmers
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 7:30pm
Plus its cheaper, more gallons (300).... he says the pump to the size of body and neck is almost perfect together

Edited by badfinger - May 04 2015 at 7:32pm
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 7:59pm
Bob:
Those look like a good bang for the buck but they do seem a bit on the loud side. I found this video kind of showing that - http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxdj8yojWrY

badfinger:
I just read and watched a few things about the SRO-3000SSS and I'm really digging on it. Thoughts? Here was a pretty good review on it that I found - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJ76dxD864

Edited by Sculpin - May 05 2015 at 4:23pm

29 Biocube

badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 8:06pm
Since you have a 235 reef i would personally do the one with the pump out of the body. It will give more contact time. And as brs says 250 for exterior or 220 for interior
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Sculpin Sculpin wrote:

Bob:
Those look like a good bang for the buck but they do seem a bit on the loud side. I found this video kind of showing that - http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxdj8yojWrY

I have the BM Curve Skimmer; no way is it anywhere near that noisy... I can tell you why that guys is noisy, though... when he assembled it he didn't tighten the retaining bolts that hold the pump in place on the base tight enough. I know because I did the same thing; mine were loose when I first put the skimmer together,r and it made a resonating buzzing noise until I tightened them down. Now it is dead  silent.

Here are a couple videos, to show you what the skimmer SHOULD sound like:

https://youtu.be/sYksZ-JbDVM

https://youtu.be/8o6wfIf0QzI

Edited by BobC63 - May 04 2015 at 10:52pm
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic