Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monterey California trip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monterey California trip
    Posted: May 04 2015 at 5:25pm
Hey guys we are going to take a trip for our anniversary in September to Monterey to go see the coast and go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I am wondering if anyone has stayed in Monterey and can recommend a hotel. I'm tired of reading reviews and am just getting frustrated:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 9:56pm
I slept at The Ghirardelli chocalote factory it was amazing, nom, nom,nom  oh wait sorry that was just a dream.
 Seriously though any of the Inns in town are fine, you'll spend most of your time at the Aquarium.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 11:32pm
When I went, we stayed in sanfrancisco and drove down. Not too long of a drive and it's super pretty.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 1:07am
We are flying into San Francisco as I have always wanted to go there then we are driving to Monterey to stay for the majority of our stay. We will spend the day we fly in or the day we fly out in San Francisco exploring the city but I really want to stay in Monterey.
Josh were most of the places pretty decent looking? I'm a huge chicken so I don't want to end up staying somewhere that I'm going to worry about my safety
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
akv123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akv123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 2:04am
Merritt House Inn. One of the the better places I have ever paid to stayed at. Its not too expensive, but not cheap either. I think we paid 127$ a night. Its historic but not rundown, its in town and by a lot of stuff but not where all the tourists are. 

I would stay there again in a heartbeat and my girlfriend loved it so much that she wasn't happy when we had to leave. 

http://www.merritthouseinn.com/

So, don't know if you have ever been to Monterrey bay before, but here are a few things.

The fisherman's wharf is lame, mostly crumby rundown restaurants and pushy maitre des trying to get you to eat there. Definit tourist trap. Best places to eat are back by the Merritt, in town. 

The aquarium is ....ok..... I had overblown expectations. It was nice, fun, and cool, but it was march too, and kinda cold so the outdoor stuff wasn't happening. I guess what I'm saying is, you will probably love it, just don't make the whole trip about the aquarium, its not that great. Do go out on the balcony behind the aquarium and watch the sea otters in the ocean tho. that was neat.

Canery Row was nice, a bunch of places to eat too, but probably tourist traps as well. 

Go whale watching, Duh! We had a humpback come right up to the boat and just hang out under us for about 15 minutes. it was AMAZING! Go on the walking tour of Monterrey bay old town if you will be there more than one night. Go to the harbor and see the seals and stuff. I do have to say that the beaches there are not what I was expecting. I didnt try them all tho, but you will probably have to go to santa cruze if you want that. Pebble Beach golf course is there too, if you are in to that. 

Best advice I have... #1 Stay at the Merritt inn. Your significant other will thank you. #2, go exploring, best decision we made on the whole trip was to head south from san fran with no plans and no reservations. The PCH is amazing! don't just stay in one town. Hopefully you have 5 days or so, but whatever time you have, just take off and go exploring!
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 8:20am
^^

Fishermans wharf was super lame.. so i'd skip it unless you enjoy the tourist trap, like akv124 mentioned

I personally loved the aquarium and could have spent much more time there than i was allowed. I would love to go back as well. I guess you'll have to judge for yourself what you think about the aquarium. I would also recommend driving down to carmel/big sur and take the PCH1 all the way down. it was a ton of fun and a beautiful drive.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 10:13am
I too liked the aquarium!
jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 5:20pm
Jackie my wife and I enjoyed backpacking Big Sur, probably not any good after the big fire a few years back, If you have never seen Giant Sequoia, redwoods. I would head North First hit Muir woods stay in Larkspur its on the North side of the Golden Gate Bridge. There is so much to see in San Fran, but Carmel is Beautiful the Pch is A blast stop and check out Tidepools all along, we've seen all kinds of fun stuff. Really sky is the Limit. 
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 6:13pm
Muir Woods is awesome, but don't go on the weekend!!!!!!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 6:24pm
We are actually flying in on a Monday and leaving Thursday so we are avoiding the weekend
Jackie Stuver

PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 9:14pm
Last time my wife and I were there we stayed at the Inn By the Bay. http://innbythebaymonterey.com/
It is definitely not the most elegant hotel but if you are looking for cheap then this is a great place. I never felt like safety was an issue at all.
Also, if you like seafood then don't miss Monterey's Fish House. The food is fantastic and a fraction of the price compared to other restaurants in the area. It can be a busy place though so call ahead before you go.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 4:12pm
We aren't going until September but I booked it all last night and I am so excited lol!!
Jackie Stuver

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 7:20am
Cool. Cool
I had the opportunity to spend some free time at the Monterey Bay Aquarium many years ago while on a business trip. I was so engrossed in the displays and everything that when I realized I probably should exit and get on with my work, it had been three hours. Yet if you had asked me before I looked at my watch, I would have told you that it seemed like I had been there just one hour.

I agree with spending time on the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway 1) and stopping to look at tidepools, viewing sunsets over the ocean from the cliffs of Monterey and eating at small local eclectic restaurants along the way. Take a day to explore southwest of Monterey. Drive up to La Honda Road along the ridge, the beautiful hills among the massive Sequoia trees and have lunch at Alices Restaurant. Donna and I loved their Roasted Red Pepper Soup. Heart

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic