Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ReefAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worms
    Posted: May 05 2015 at 10:01pm
I noticed that a couple acro frags had a greenish tint at the base and the base was receding. So I took them and did a bayer dip. Worms came floating to the top. I used a pair of pliers to break the base of one open and it was full of worms. I have never seen this before. Insight, anyone?  Skip to the 1 minute 25 second mark of the video. 
Will work for frags.
(801) 664-0805
Computer Technician. MCSE. VMWare Hack, AD Overlord, Apex Neptune Master, Rapid LED Genius and overall Nerd.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 10:42pm
Wow!

I'm not sure what type of worm that is, Johnnie -

Nikki (ReefdUp) could probably tell you though...

And, hopefully a way to get rid of them.

Good Luck!

Edited by BobC63 - May 05 2015 at 10:43pm
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 12:57am
I'm looking at my phone, so the screen is small, but it looks like it could be a baby bristle worm. Are they actually burying into the acro or just hiding in it?

Edited by Hogie - May 06 2015 at 12:57am
ReefAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 6:01am
Burrowing it seems. The acro starts turning dark and the flesh recedes.
Will work for frags.
(801) 664-0805
Computer Technician. MCSE. VMWare Hack, AD Overlord, Apex Neptune Master, Rapid LED Genius and overall Nerd.
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 9:32am
when I think of bristle worms I think of this guy:

The one in your picture seems to move more like an earth worm or catapillar.

There are many, many types of worms, and bristle worms.

I'm curious to see more of this worm, and find what it is.

Edited by redleader - May 06 2015 at 9:33am
Everything in life is possible. You just have to dream big, and act bigger.

150 G Reef
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 10:48am
I get smaller bristle work that are 2 toned like the one in your pic, but they still move like the bristle worm in the video. Do it have a flat head? What about legs? Does it have legs or is it smooth like an earthworm?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 3:51pm
I don't have an exact species ID for yours...exact worm ID gets pretty tricky. However, I've encountered LOTS very similar to yours. They burrow into the [dead] skeletons of corals. IME, they do not burrow into the living portion. They get really really close...so much so that they may seem to be in the living portion, but as far as I can tell, they are still in the non-active part.

If your Acroporas are receding, I bet it is for another reason. These worms are probably harmless detrivores eating the decaying coral. The base of your Acro did not look like pest-induced.

Here's a similar one I see all the time:

Edited by ReefdUp - May 06 2015 at 3:54pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 6:55am
I agree. I have seen worms like that crawling around. It's gross, but it's the cleanup crew doing their natural thing. In fact, there is always something dieing in our aquariums, even on a microscopic level, organisms live and then die just to be eaten (cleaned up) by other organisms. On land, fly maggots do this same job. Sure it's gross. We humans push all this out of sight at landfills and waste treatment facilities, but if this circle of life did not exist, imagine the mess we would be living in and on. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic