Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

may not be an emergency? but tank cracking?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: may not be an emergency? but tank cracking?
    Posted: May 23 2015 at 11:36am
Has anyone ever had the bottom of a tank crack but no leak?

There are some days I am doing stuff with my 40g Breeder from petco and i hear a cracking sound.  I almost want to say glass cracking.  but that could be in my head since its a fish tank. 

The stand is made out of 2x4 basically 2 2x4 on each corner, so it is stout and it is new.  

There are no cracks on the sides of the tank so Im thinking the bottom?

There are no leaks though.  I have looked very closely and nothing.  I'd really hate to tear down this tank as there are sps in it all for a creakin noise that could just be a newer wood stand settling. 

I have bumped the tank to get it to make the sound Shocked and noting.  i have tapped the plastic rim and nothing.  ive shook the stand enough to make good waves in the tank Ouch
still no sound....

only happens randomly it seems.  

What would you do?
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 1:07pm
Just a thought, but is there a chance a pistol shrimp snuck into your tank along with a coral or some rock?  Sometimes their clicking could sound like what you are describing.
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 1:28pm
I think Will has a good idea. When I got my first cardinal fish I freaked out because they make fairly loud clicking noises and thought it was something breaking. I assume there'd be water if your tank had cracked. Just my .02
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by AcroNem AcroNem wrote:

I think Will has a good idea. When I got my first cardinal fish I freaked out because they make fairly loud clicking noises and thought it was something breaking. I assume there'd be water if your tank had cracked. Just my .02

cardinal fish as in a pajama cardinal?  I have one of those.  

Ive never seen a pistol shrimp in there and I dont see any piles where he would have dug it out. 
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 2:15pm
My banggaii does I'm not sure if that's a trait of the pajama as well.
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 6:16pm
Mantis Shrimp make an even louder glass breaking sound than Pistol Shrimp. I liken it to the sound of metal keys tapping hard on a glass door. Mantis can start as very tiny hitchhikers that eat Amphipods, later Collonista Snails and eventually grow large enough to eat Pacific Turbo Snails.

The sound that Cardinals (Bangaii, Pajama, etc.) make is more a popping, grunting sound. Damsels also make grunting/popping sounds. Neither of those sounds resembles glass cracking, IMO.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
Cracks in the glass will always leak before they burst. If there was a crack in the bottom, you would have known it by now. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 23 2015 at 6:23pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic