Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lowering Mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lowering Mag
    Posted: May 25 2015 at 9:23pm

So my line of thinking for Lowering my mag is a massive water change but was wondering if anybody has any tricks I am unaware of to save my back from hauling tons of RO water. My mag is still high from my Bryopsis treatment and when I did a 10% water change it brought it up not down
Any advice would be helpful even if the general consensus is massive water change my Mag was 1550 now its up to 1600 almost 1700. My main concern for bringing it down is I have noticed my Zoas and SPS getting irritated since my water change a month ago. (Backstory is I had the foulest Bryopsis bloom I have ever seen and around Christmas I boosted my mag up to 1550. Problem solved as my tank had a chance to catch up macro and Coraline wise but now the mag is not decreasing. I did a10% water change two months ago and tested today and bam 1700
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 9:32pm
What are your alk and cal at? I notice when my alk and cal are low my mag goes higher....
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 9:34pm
Oh crud forgot to include that Cal is 450 and alk is 9.5 DKH
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 9:42pm
Hmm those are good, I'm not sure how to lower it. Wait for others to chime in.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2015 at 4:35pm
Water change it is thanks Jackie
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 5:54am
It's probably the salt mix that is causing the Mg to show an increase. The salt you are using may even have extra Mg and Ca.  Smile
I believe that lowering the salinity(Specific Gravity) to 1.021 will make all those levels, Mg included, more tolerable for the coral. Allowing Alk to naturally fall to 8 may also help. Lowering salinity to that level is not harmful and can be done quite swiftly. Animals can handle swift decreases in salinity but react poorly to swift increases in salinity.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 9:43pm
Kk Thanks Mark wish I had read this prior to todays water change though it worked out okay as I helped tear down a 72 bowfront today so just jacked the water from it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic