Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not My 270 Gallon Peninsula

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not My 270 Gallon Peninsula
    Posted: May 31 2015 at 12:18pm
My friend's tank:

Eric built the tank and it turned out great. PVC bottom, etc. The tank has a dedicated sump room, remote to the tank.

Corey

Edited by Corey Price - May 31 2015 at 12:19pm
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 12:28pm
Wow, that's beautiful. I imagine the rest of the home will be just as amazing.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 12:58pm
That is beautiful
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 6:52pm
Show the fish room.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 8:22pm
Good job!!!
Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 9:42pm
Is that Robert's?
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 8:48am
Now that's the way to do it, put the tank in and then build the rest of the house around it!  Very nice.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 9:04pm
I'm sorry, but I see a maintenance nightmare and several design flaws.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I'm sorry, but I see a maintenance nightmare and several design flaws.

Please elaborate? I have thought this design looks cool as it provides lots of viewing area in the home. Are you referring to the limited space to reach into the tank?
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 6:32am
Limited space to reach in to the tank is only the beginning. I'd rather not say more in public. At Corey's request, I wrote a lengthy PM with my itemized list.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Limited space to reach in to the tank is only the beginning. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">I'd rather not say more in public. At Corey's request, I wrote a lengthy PM with my itemized list.</span>

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

It would be interesting to see if the problem you see have already been thought of and resolved. I would assume that a tank build this large with its own fish room would have been carefully plan by someone with many years of reefing experience. The saying, "You can't judge a book by it's cover," could come into play with this build.

Edited by Trevor40 - June 10 2015 at 10:44am
Call or Text (801)834-3119
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 11:12am
I still want to see picture of fish room!
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 11:26am
It's all moot if he has a company service it, then it's their problem.  Still a very beautiful tank and can't wait to see more!

Corey will you have more updates on this as the build continues?
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 1:33pm
We're finally setting the tank up:

I convinced my friend to modify the upper canopy. I convinced him that it wasn't a good long-term thing, and access would be awful.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 7:25pm
So equipment so far:

270 gallon tank
75 gallon custom sump (under construction)
Reeflo Snapper return pump
(3) AI Sol lighting fixtures, used
(2) Jebao powerheads

We decided not to use the room originally intended for the sump. The piping underslab is not adequate and would only cause issues. We can't rip up concrete floors and there really isn't a good way to get over to the room originally set up as a sump room.

Instead, we decided to place the sump underneath the tank and use the original sump room as a water change and staging room. There's enough room to fit a couple large garbage cans in there for water changes and the RO unit can be mounted on the wall.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 7:35pm
The floor plan of the house in the area of the tank looks like this:

Note the tank location, and the equipment room on the left of the picture. There are two, 2" diameter conduits between the equipment room and the tank that are run under the concrete slab.

The tank is really the focal point of the whole upstairs. It should be stunning if we can get it set up right.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 7:39pm
Eric and I have been thinking about the sump design. So far, it's going to be 40" x 20" x 20" and should be sufficient to contain 3" of water from the top of the main tank. We'll have to put some siphon breaks in the plumbing to prevent siphons. I'm not a fan of backflow preventer/check valves and would rather see a sump that is capable of containing water returning to the sump when the main pump is turned off.

I broke out my old Excel spreadsheet that calculates pump flow with head losses and started getting nerdy with it. I had to hack it to get newer pump curves in it; it should kick the "Reef Central" head loss/pump calculator's butt down the block! I started geeking out with it and had to stop.

Edited by Corey Price - August 11 2017 at 7:42pm
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 10:24am
Two year update? Still no water?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Two year update? Still no water?

Adam

Yep. It should be filled in the next two to three weeks though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 3:15pm
We started hooking up a supply line to the RO unit:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic