Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not My 270 Gallon Peninsula

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 3:21pm
We then mounted the RO unit on the wall:

We ran a 3/8" LDPE line under the concrete slab to the tank for top off, and one 3/8" line for water changes:

We then started to drill the tank for 1-1/2" bulkheads. The great thing about the tank is that it has a PVC bottom, which makes drilling an easier prospect!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 3:22pm
The area over the top of the tank is being modified based on my recommendation:

phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 4:29am
Cool!
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 8:40am
That's going to be a sweet setup. Man is that PVC bottom thick!
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 8:27pm
Tank back up, with lights:

Edited by Corey Price - September 11 2017 at 8:25am
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 6:35am
How do you get your kids to stay on the ceiling like that? That's going to be such a cool setup. Get it wet already! LOL
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 8:28am
Ha! I just noticed that the picture was upside down. I fixed it...

So water won't be in the tank for another two weeks. The sump is finally done and we can start plumbing the tank.

The PVC bottom is doubled around the edges and at the overflow. It isn't nearly an inch thick everywhere. It took a while to drill, but no worries of chipped or cracked glass.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 4:11pm

Sump is done. I'll be plumbing the tank tonight and I'll upload pictures when we get somewhere.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 4:46pm
Is it a 2 chambers sump?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 10:30am
Looks to me like a custom sump with only one small chamber on the end, probably to help stop bubbles at the drain where, my guess is, a filter bag is not used. I'm a wanna be Engineer, but Corey is a real Engineer. I'll just bet that he had maximum efficiency and simplicity in mind for its design. Am I right? 
Kinda like this design of mine, found listed in the Reefkeeping Tips: 
Secrets of an easy Refugium http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36396

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 10:36am
I can't believe you let there be a filter sock holder on there...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 12:38pm
Eddie,

Yes, it's a two-chamber. Simple. I plan to set up an algae reactor and keep the light out of the sump (and keep algae from growing in there).
Eric built in the filter sock holder but I'm not going to tell my friend to use it. It didn't cost extra.

Mark,

I like the KISS principle. Just a bubble trap, an area for a skimmer, algae reactor, heater, and that's it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 12:46pm

Starting to glue up parts. Cardboard keeps the glue off the floor.

The sump, under the tank.

You know you're going big when the ball valve is as big as the return pump! I like the Reeflo Gold series with good Baldor motors. We're going for just under 5x water flow thru the main tank, so a Snapper return pump is a great, low maintenance, reliable pump that can be fully serviced.

Stay tuned next week for some pictures of plumbing gymnastics due to a few things in the way!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 8:33am

The RO setup, ready to go.

Plumbing complete. It wasn't as bad as I thought.

View of plumbing, including main and emergency drains as well as pump return.

First little trickle of water!!!

It's going to take a few days to fill. This was progress overnight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 12:08pm

It's finally full of RO water. We will start to fill the sump, run the system, and test for leaks prior to putting in salt.
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 12:38pm
Things are progressing very nicely. I think the recent changes being made made everything look better and should run better as well. Nice work!
60g LPS Cube
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 11:37pm
Soooo jealous. Looks great! Cant wait to see what it turns into!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 8:16am
Getting ready for salt and rock!

Grommets for cable management.

Waiting for salt!

Edited by Corey Price - September 28 2017 at 8:19am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 7:41am
We started last night by dry stacking the dry rock. I stacked it several times before I found what I liked.

We put the rock in the tank. I was going for two stacks of rock, with fish hiding places, and a channel diagonally thru the rock. With a 3' wide tank, aquascaping is fun!

We then turned on the main pump. We had a leak at the pump inlet threads, so we fixed that with a little more teflon and moved on with sand and salt. Knowing that sand and salt would turn the water so murky, we did this last.

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 12:02pm
Great thread Corey!

This tank is going to be awesome!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic